Sponsored by: Road Spy

Car covers - What would you like to see in them

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2015 | 01:40 PM
Verinnal
Racer

Default Car covers - What would you like to see in them

Hi folks,
I had an idea for car covers that I think might be a hit, but to a limited audience. For those of you with expensive cars that you store for a season at a time, or longer, are you satisfied with your current car cover? What do you like about it? What don't you like? Do you feel they offer the right amount of protection? Do you feel that they might scratch your cars paint if it's windy?

I'll probably build a template soon enough and within the next few months actually have something to post pictures of. It won't be suitable for weekly removal, but is more of a longer term (think months, not weeks) cover that offers substantial protection against dents and dings. I would imagine they wouldn't be particularly cheap to build, so it would be great if you folks could tell me what you would pay for a really, really nice car cover. Not sure if sub $1k is feasible given the production needs and materials involved.

Appreciate your thoughts and feedback.

-J
Old 10-12-2015 | 02:55 PM
Fred Flintstone
Advanced

Is this a solution looking for a problem?

Unless you are storing your car in a place where you cannot control what is going on (e.g. not your own garage), I would simply need something to keep dust off the car (damage or dings are not a concern) and that is very easily and cheaply achieved. I'm using the cover I was given when I bough my 2015 TTS. The cover is very soft on the inside, very easy to use (single person can put it on and take it off in
Old 10-12-2015 | 03:00 PM
Verinnal
Racer

It may well be a solution looking for a problem, or not. As mentioned, I'm thinking of something for long term storage, particularly for very expensive or rare cars. I daily drive my TTS, but if I had a collection of cars, I couldn't find the type of car cover that I'd be happy with so came up with a more custom/modular solution.
Old 10-12-2015 | 08:53 PM
cabman4007
Racer

I bought 2 Porsche covers, the soft indoor cover goes on first, tight custom made fit. Then on top of that I place the huge outdoor Cayenne cover and it way over covers everything. Great for LT safety for less than $700. I never get a spec of dust on the car. The car is stored in my climate controlled garage also.
Old 10-13-2015 | 06:27 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

+1.

During the salt season the cars that are keepers are put away in our climate-controlled garage. I just ordered covers for the TT that align with my SOP for winter: a form fit cover made from super-soft material that provides a bit of ding protection and a Weathershield cover to go over that. The latter is a 'one-way' material that will keep the soft cover clean yet is washable.
Old 10-13-2015 | 08:28 AM
Verinnal
Racer

Interesting. I had honestly expected more interest, and despite the few responses I suppose I should rethink the value proposition. I had considered constructing a heavy duty, modular, multilayer, panel-based system that would lay flat against all of the car contours, with decent weight and padding (think several pounds per panel) that would protect against items that might fall against the car or against some pretty solid impact. The system would have been suitable for shipping protection as well since the window panels could be removed individually to drive the car onto a shipping truck and then easily replaced. Guess I'll poke around and collect more feedback but the few people that have replied don't seem interested, and the lack of responses is telling. Oh well, I'll still build a set for fun. :-)

Thanks for the feedback

Quick Reply: Car covers - What would you like to see in them