Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

How many of you have lowered your 991 Turbo/S?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 01:00 PM
FBA
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And you don't have a lowering kit installed on the 991, so your posts are merely conjectures - and are moot.

That you could even possibly be a suspension designer would make zero difference today, as you're dealing in theory ONLY regarding this car, not practical.

Your signature/ quote says it all...
Old 10-01-2015, 06:03 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lowering changes the suspension dynamic period. To even suggest nothing is altered except the ride height is absurd as is trying to bully those that haven't lowered as being trolls or not qualified to pass opinion on the subject. OK FBA we get you did it for a (subjective) look, but as a handling enhancement? Get real! Btw what happened with those AM wheels...or is it the tires? Or is it a set up for Monster Jam or an off road rally? Interesting look for a Porsche... you may need to raise it back up higher than stock tho..
Old 10-02-2015, 11:55 AM
FBA
Racer

You two must be related -- I get why you were tossed off the other board.
Old 10-02-2015, 12:49 PM
speed21
Banned

What - Can't handle the truth? I read over there on 6 where even yourself were posting doubts on the look, .... and were seeking props on the obvious (very) "subjective" outcome. 6 is definitely the best place to get sympathy/false praise when things go pear shaped on buying mistakes...bet the vendor was real happy to get rid of those...no point asking him how they looked lol. At least I can be honest, you can always count on that.

Edit: Here is the thread I was referring to (FBA aka Blownsrt over on 6) http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...-tts-mods.html
Wow! What a fine selection of mods from a real deal racing expert :roll eyes: Sounds like someone really did their homework there by look of it. Totally loved reading your opening post comments and your post # 14 "cons" as I've copy pasted from your own comments from your own thread below. Wow! Sounds an awesome result "dude"!

And again all of your comments/cons being very relevant to OP's topic!!!

FBA's self confessed "Cons":

1) The rears are so much higher than stock that with the Techart lowering kit, the front end comes down too much. I will have to think about where I can drive with the spoiler retracted, whereas with the stock setup, I didn't have to worry about it. My front sizing came up .3-5mm overall, whereas the rears came up about 12-15 mm. It's not the spoiler that is so close to the ground, but the bladder.

2) Road noise is quite annoying! (Michelin PSS issue)

3) Not exactly the look I was hoping for, especially with that stepped lip reducing the inside diameter by a good 1.75" - which is likely a big part of the esthetics problem, in my eyes anyway.

I have a few cars with Nitto 345's and 275 fronts, with a lower profile, which I may pull tires off to see if I get a better look on the 991, with less noise.

Last edited by speed21; 10-03-2015 at 05:26 PM.
Old 10-02-2015, 01:16 PM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by worf928
You contradict yourself. Does lowering not change the ride? Or when you wrote "does not change the ride" what you meant was "a little stiffer."

Unless there is extra unused suspension travel, lowering and ensuring not bottoming-out requires stiffer. Because Physics. Whether or not it is noticeable depends upon the roads and your butt.

Sure, on billiard-table smooth roads you wouldn't even notice the difference between a solid bushing suspension and a rubber bushing suspension.

But, in the real world - and even on track - stiffer is not always better.

If your goal is to make a 911 Turbo into a track-toy almost-GT2 then by all means slam it to the ground, put in solid bushings, remove the sound insulation, go to town. But those changes will not make it a better street car.
Agree with this account totally. If suspension travel is reduced compensations like stiffer springs, shortening of the sway bar drop links (to relieve the acquired additional sprung pressure), amongst other alterations are required. You can be sure the GT3 has these things all done and sorted, which is why it handles properly.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:29 PM
Karl911
Burning Brakes

Received 423 Likes on 181 Posts

FBA is not off based. Quit trashing him . In fact he gets it right.
Why are we wrong for lowering our cars to the correct Porsche design height! We are not changing shocks/Struts.
Handling is slightly enhance and the car now does not look like it is for off road adventure! Ride is basically same.
Let"s go back to the theme of the thread please!
Old 10-03-2015, 05:19 AM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by Karl911
Why are we wrong for lowering our cars to the correct Porsche design height! We are not changing shocks/Struts.
Handling is slightly enhance and the car now does not look like it is for off road adventure! Ride is basically same.
Really?? LMAO!! You two can't possibly be serious! Where are your facts??
So basically you are saying your cars were supplied to you by PCA with incorrect ride heights? Really? Where are your facts to support such a ridiculously fanciful claim? And, why have you both not made a warranty claim against PCA, or staked a legal claim? And, no one is trashing FBA except himself. He is doing a fine job there.

Last edited by speed21; 10-03-2015 at 02:36 PM.
Old 10-03-2015, 11:07 AM
FBA
Racer

Originally Posted by Karl911
Not possible for him.

He's only here to contrarily express his POV about anything he can, whether he knows anything about it or not. He claims to have vast knowledge of everything under the sun and has an opinion about it all too. Doubt he even owns a car, leave alone a 991 TTS.

You can't have a meaningful or intelligent conversation with him; unless you agree with his POV. The boards are filled with armchair/ bench racers like him.

He's already been tossed off a few boards - no wonder why either.

That said, my car's overall ride comfort hasn't changed to any real perceptible degree, but body roll is slightly reduced. No bouncing, no roll, not much different over bumps...but better looking and slightly better handling.

It's definitely something I'd do all over again without a 2nd thought.
Old 10-03-2015, 12:47 PM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by FBA
Not possible for him.

He's only here to contrarily express his POV about anything he can, whether he knows anything about it or not. He claims to have vast knowledge of everything under the sun and has an opinion about it all too. Doubt he even owns a car, leave alone a 991 TTS.

You can't have a meaningful or intelligent conversation with him; unless you agree with his POV. The boards are filled with armchair/ bench racers like him.

He's already been tossed off a few boards - no wonder why either.

That said, my car's overall ride comfort hasn't changed to any real perceptible degree, but body roll is slightly reduced. No bouncing, no roll, not much different over bumps...but better looking and slightly better handling.

It's definitely something I'd do all over again without a 2nd thought.
FBA the typical cyber bully. Always bullying members, or name calling them "trolls" in a pathetic bid to embellish and manipulate the dire situation which he himself created. It is as if dare any member post in any way that draws attention to your obviously highly questionable comments, and highly contradictory advice. (particularly regarding your quoted "cons" in your 6bling post # 14 of your own thread on the actual subject matter of lowering). But of course now it's all got better all of a sudden and all the problems have miraculously disappeared.

And me tossed off a few boards? Lol c'mon name them wise guy. Let's see if you can back it up. I am aware of only one, 6bling, needless to add there's been countless members banned from there over the best part of nothing. So, wow big deal! That place is a joke anyway and everyone knows that.

Now back to topic, if you can.
Let's see now. Hmm. You say your car was delivered by PCA with an incorrect ride height and you have now reinstated it to the "correct Porsche ride height" by flitting lowering springs, lowering it by 30mm? Okay then, provide facts to back it up that 30mm lower is Porsches factory specs for the TT/TTS. Hmmm. But but let me guess your next move. As you know you can't, you will resort to your usual cyber-bullying in a futile bid to deflect the heat away from your nonsense.

Fact is FBA the suspension geometry is thrown out the moment you lower and compensations need to be made to counter that situation. But of course that is all complete dutch to you simply because you don't understand anything technically related to the topic whatsoever.

And of course everyone "on the boards" are mainly "arm chair racers" as you now quote, with of course exception to yourself who is a real racer guru. Wow you sure have an inflated ego there!

Anyway, enough of me entertaining your self indulgent nonsense, back to the topic. Fact is (again) you can't back anything up you've said here to date because you clearly don't have anything least of all know anything technically related, even about your own selection of (some) bottom shelf mods. So by all means attempt to counter anyone who posts against your nonsense by spraying your hate and casting as much innuendo as humanly possibly. Keep true to form FBA. Someone might believe you.

Last edited by speed21; 10-03-2015 at 05:28 PM.
Old 10-03-2015, 04:06 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Somewhat back on topic, Euro spec cars often sit lower than U.S. spec because of differences in bumper height requirements. Typically U.S. bumpers have to be a bit higher, so rather than re-design the car or bumpers, most manufacturers just adjust the stock ride heights. As such, assuming there is an actual difference in heights for these cars, lowering the car by the approx. half inch difference shouldn't be a problem, so long as the wheel alignment is checked and corrected as necessary afterwards. But I for one actually like the freedom from worry over speed bumps and driveways that come with stock U.S. ride height, so no, I'm not lowering my car.
Old 10-03-2015, 05:22 PM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by Need4S
Somewhat back on topic, Euro spec cars often sit lower than U.S. spec because of differences in bumper height requirements. Typically U.S. bumpers have to be a bit higher, so rather than re-design the car or bumpers, most manufacturers just adjust the stock ride heights. As such, assuming there is an actual difference in heights for these cars, lowering the car by the approx. half inch difference shouldn't be a problem, so long as the wheel alignment is checked and corrected as necessary afterwards. But I for one actually like the freedom from worry over speed bumps and driveways that come with stock U.S. ride height, so no, I'm not lowering my car.
Interesting and relevant point to the OP. That said, I can safely add that after being in the EU for the past month and physically looking at the height in question (being an interested owner...yes I do look at these things lol) I can't see any difference in ride height to my own TTS whatsoever. So, if there is indeed any actual difference it must be so minuscule it isn't noticeable to the naked eye. Same with the UK cars as well (which is where I am right now), I looked at one parked on the street in Kensington today and it too look the same height. However, I will await with abated breath for our infinitely knowledgeable critic of ever changing opinion, and resident RL Porsche race car driving legend FBA and all time hero to provide all us mere mortals with some life changing facts to indict the contrary for the US cars. But something tells me it will be crickets...or, the usual mix of vitriol with a dash of denial and self indulgence.
Old 10-04-2015, 04:05 PM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 96 Posts

I lowered my last 911 turbo and liked/preferred the look. The ride was no problem and I had to be careful with speed bumps and steep driveways. I would occasionally scrape but never did any harm. That might be different now with the more complicated retracting front spoiler. I don't mind the current stock height and don't think it's like an SUV. Ideally, I would love to lower it just a little, say 15-20mm instead of the full 30mm and have even considered adjustable coil-overs. But, at the end of the day, it looks ok stock and the added appeal of driving over bad roads and steep driveways trumps a little esthetic improvement for me.
Old 10-04-2015, 07:25 PM
FBA
Racer

Originally Posted by speed21
Interesting and relevant point to the OP. That said, I can safely add that after being in the EU for the past month and physically looking at the height in question (being an interested owner...yes I do look at these things lol) I can't see any difference in ride height to my own TTS whatsoever. So, if there is indeed any actual difference it must be so minuscule it isn't noticeable to the naked eye. Same with the UK cars as well (which is where I am right now), I looked at one parked on the street in Kensington today and it too look the same height. However, I will await with abated breath for our infinitely knowledgeable critic of ever changing opinion, and resident RL Porsche race car driving legend FBA and all time hero to provide all us mere mortals with some life changing facts to indict the contrary for the US cars. But something tells me it will be crickets...or, the usual mix of vitriol with a dash of denial and self indulgence.
That's a very accurate self-portrayal, Paul.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:29 AM
991TurboS
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I go over too many speed bumps to lower the car. If the front spoiler was a cheap R & R like the standard 911, I prolly would lower the car, but the stock active aero bicycle tire bladder/spoiler is too much money to replace to make lowering an option for me. I have to go over 5-6 high speed bumps alone just to drop my son off at school in the morning.

FWIW, I think the stock ride height is a pretty good compromise given real world driving conditions.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:32 AM
eddtiff
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 991TurboS
I go over too many speed bumps to lower the car. If the front spoiler was a cheap R & R like the standard 911, I prolly would lower the car, but the stock active aero bicycle tire bladder/spoiler is too much money to replace to make lowering an option for me. I have to go over 5-6 high speed bumps alone just to drop my son off at school in the morning.

FWIW, I think the stock ride height is a pretty good compromise given real world driving conditions.
+1

Quick Reply: How many of you have lowered your 991 Turbo/S?