Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Best Track Wheels for TTS w/ PCCB? 19's possible?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 12:16 PM
Drones
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Track Wheels for TTS w/ PCCB? 19's possible?

Hey guys, first post here, thanks for everything so far!

I track my TTS at COTA about once a month, so I'm ordering a set of dedicated track wheels & tires.

I've got 21" HRE P101's for street and daily driving coming in soon, and was thinking of just using my stock wheels as my track wheels with Trofeo R tires. But I really like the idea of maximizing my stance, like the P101's do - especially for track use.

So I'm thinking of getting some track wheels - looking at HRE RC1's or the new RC100's, or getting Forgeline GA1Rs. The Forgelines are 22-23lbs each (20 inch), and I'm still waiting on the weight of the HREs.

Ideally, I could find a 19" rim that would fit over the PCCBs so I could use a more track-speicifc tire, but it's looking like that's just not possibe. Does anyone have any info to the contrary there?

Would love you guys' input on track wheel thoughts, where I can sell my stock CL wheels, and where I might be able to find used track wheels (not super hopeful here).

Thanks again!
Attached Images  
Old 08-06-2015, 04:00 PM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Best Track Wheels for TTS w/ PCCB? 19's possible?

I am not aware of any 19 inch wheel being able to clear the car's giant PCCBs
Old 08-06-2015, 08:06 PM
wrs
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just put new PZero's on the back. It's damn hard to find anything else. I will be out there on the 6th, are you doing both days?
Old 08-06-2015, 09:48 PM
Visceral
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 137 Posts

My understanding is that most aftermarket *20's* don't even fit over our brakes.

I really doubt there's a 19" application that works.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:03 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 218 Posts

20" Forgeline GA1R with Pirelli Trofeo R
Did cota a few times with my TTS using that combo
I bought my wheels from competitionmotorsport.com
No affiliation, lowest prices in the nation. Tell Brian that KY sent you.
Old 08-08-2015, 11:10 PM
robziv
Advanced

I'm a bit jealous you get to go to COTA once a month! That being said, I'm thinking of bringing my TTS from Florida up for the weekend of August 29-30th. My concern is the heat and tire wear. Have you been out there in the summer, how do the tires hold up to the heat? The track looks to be much smoother than Sebring, where I normally go so maybe I shouldn't be concerned? Any input would be helpful.
Old 08-09-2015, 02:43 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 218 Posts

Tires are fine in the heat. I've had no issues. Smooth track. When it was new though it would deceptively feather and ripple my Hoosiers until they warmed up. No issues with "street tires" there so far.
Old 08-09-2015, 05:39 PM
wrs
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by robziv
I'm a bit jealous you get to go to COTA once a month! That being said, I'm thinking of bringing my TTS from Florida up for the weekend of August 29-30th. My concern is the heat and tire wear. Have you been out there in the summer, how do the tires hold up to the heat? The track looks to be much smoother than Sebring, where I normally go so maybe I shouldn't be concerned? Any input would be helpful.
You get some pretty good welts on them. I replaced my rears after the July 5th event. They had 9000 miles on them so it was a good time to get rid of them anyway. There was a lot of rubber on the big curve. You can see it flying up in these pictures. So clearly the track tears up some tires but I didn't lose any chunks from my tires but I did get some nasty welts. You also get black rubber smears on the car from all the chunks that hit the car. The surface is very grippy.

I am headed back out for the Edge Addicts event the weekend after the Chin event. I am only going to do one day even though it's a better deal to do both days I think it might be too much for me and the car.
Attached Images      
Old 08-10-2015, 10:30 AM
robziv
Advanced

Thanks. I do enjoy the rubber marks left on the car after a track event. I think it adds character! I am happy I went with the clear bra up to the doors though. Great pics of the rubber flying off.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:15 PM
Drones
6th Gear

Originally Posted by kyrocks
Tires are fine in the heat. I've had no issues. Smooth track. When it was new though it would deceptively feather and ripple my Hoosiers until they warmed up. No issues with "street tires" there so far.
Yep, I was going to go with the GA1R's as well, but then the HRE RC100s came out which are a couple pounds lighter, so I think I'm going with those instead. I have the Trofeo R's in the stock sizes which I'll use on my stock wheels on the 5th. But looking for a lighter wheel with better offsets for a more permanent track wheel/tire setup.

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 08-18-2015, 12:36 AM
HRE Wheels
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Jumping into this thread a little late. We've had mixed success with 19" clearing the PCCBs (we know of one 991 GT3 that has achieved this), however there is literally no breathing room between the wheel and caliper.

You're much better off with a 20" set for the track...(shameless plug)

Last edited by HRE Wheels; 08-25-2015 at 11:14 PM.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:01 PM
Drones
6th Gear

Originally Posted by HRE Wheels
Jumping into this thread a little late. We've had mixed success with 19" clearing the PCCBs (we know of one 991 GT3 that has achieved this), however there is literally no breathing room between the rotor and caliper.

You're much better off with a 20" set for the track...(shameless plug)

@HRE - So I've ordered the 20" RC100's...now how about a better track tire than the Trofeo R? Thanks! -Colin
Old 08-25-2015, 11:59 PM
HRE Wheels
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Drones
@HRE - So I've ordered the 20" RC100's...now how about a better track tire than the Trofeo R? Thanks! -Colin
Unfortunately the Trofeo R is THE track tire at the moment.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:32 PM
HRE Wheels
Former Vendor

PM sent, Drones.
Old 11-14-2015, 02:32 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Beautiful wheels HRE (as is customary).

Let me know via PM if anyone's interested, how about the 991 Cup/RS-5 (also available for those with a 5-bolt set up). I can have them finished in any color you'd like.

Again PM if you're interested.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Best Track Wheels for TTS w/ PCCB? 19's possible?