Sponsored by: Road Spy

AL Priority, Bell STiR Plus and other stuff

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 11:39 PM
MJM911
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up AL Priority, Bell STiR Plus and other stuff

Just got my 991TTS back from JK Designs and Unique Care Care here in Massachusetts. I had it in for a custom installation of the AL Priority Multipurpose Parking System (AKA Laser Shifter) and the Bell STiR Plus Radar Detector along with some other stuff. I wanted an install that was as stealth as possible and looked as OEM as possible. I also wanted the AL Priority remote control and display on my cell phone but also wanted to run without it if needed. So I have a hidden toggle switch under the steering column to switch back and forth. They also custom integrated two LEDs into my instrument cluster, one for the ALP and one for the STiR.

They were able to install the control heads for both systems in the smoker package area by fabricating a custom mounting panel. In addition, there were able to locate the STiR Plus LED display into the overhead console and custom fabricated and integrated a smoked glass panel into it for the LED display. They also used three of the blank unused buttons on the center console for the on/off (ALP and STiR) and mute controls.

For the rear laser sensors they custom fabricated a new license plate bracket in black to integrate the rear sensors and hold my rear plate. They also created a more secure mounting plate for this, replacing the Porsche way of attaching a plate with self tapping screws into the rubber bumper.

As many of you already know, the wind buffeting on the 991s is very annoying and there are several different after-market products to help solve this problem. However none of them I liked as they just don't look OEM and some frankly detract from the car. So I had them fabricate a set for me that would look like they came from the factory. Be sure to check them out.

Finally, the issue of the front license plate mount is always challenging here in Massachusetts were being caught without one is a moving violation with an escalating fine structure. I hate the look of the front plate mounted and the tow hook mounts interfere with the front parking sensors (if you have them). Then there is the off-center look which I don't particularity like. So I had them fabricate a magnetic plate holder which can be easily put on and taken off as rare earth magnets behind the front bumper and on the plate frame hold it in place. Now I can immediately remove the plate on arrival at events and not have any mounting holes in the front bumper.

They were able to everything I wanted and really hit it out of the park for me. They also were very excited to do this work and had not done anything yet that included all these things in one car, so they made a quick video to show other Porsche customers what they can do. Have a look: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_t...N0E/view?pli=1

If you want anything like this done, these guys know how to do custom work and their install quality is outstanding. I have some close-up still pictures if anyone is interested. It's worth the drive for quality work!
Old 09-05-2015, 09:49 PM
bshah1976
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I like the front plate idea...how can I get that for my car? Is it easy to install with parts since I am in Chicago?
Old 09-06-2015, 10:07 PM
MJM911
Instructor

Originally Posted by bshah1976
I like the front plate idea...how can I get that for my car? Is it easy to install with parts since I am in Chicago?
It was made custom for my 991TTS when the has the front bumper off to install the AL Priority and the STiR Plus equipment. They attached rare earth magnets to the inside bumper area where the stock plate frame would normally attach. Then they took the stock plate frame and attached magnets to it, covered the back with a non-scratch coating and then mounted the plate and plate frame. If you wanted to spend the time, I am sure you could build it yourself.

They also fabricated these wind deflectors for me using the stock ones so the look factory.

Old 09-06-2015, 10:56 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Are the wind deflectors effective? They don't look like they deflect much air.
Old 09-07-2015, 10:30 AM
Verinnal
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AL Priority, Bell STiR Plus and other stuff

This is incredible work. I'm buying a 14TTS out of MA. Mind giving a ballpark price? Might be worth seeing if they could pick up the car before I get it and duplicate the setup since I'd call it "perfect."
Old 09-07-2015, 10:48 AM
goin2drt
Race Car

Received 683 Likes on 377 Posts

Amazing. I wish we had a place like that in SoCal. I would love a stealth radar install.
Old 09-07-2015, 01:03 PM
MJM911
Instructor

Originally Posted by Need4S
Are the wind deflectors effective? They don't look like they deflect much air.
Yes very much so. It doesn't take much to solve the problem, too bad Porsche didn't think it important to do so. Here is a picture from another angle:

Trending Topics

Old 09-07-2015, 01:17 PM
MJM911
Instructor

Originally Posted by Verinnal
This is incredible work. I'm buying a 14TTS out of MA. Mind giving a ballpark price? Might be worth seeing if they could pick up the car before I get it and duplicate the setup since I'd call it "perfect."

The cost really depends on how much of the equipment you want for the AL Priority system. For example, I have two front and two rear "heads" for Anti-laser. I also have all the options for AL Priority, including the hifi speaker and the Bluetooth phone remote control and the separate control head selectable (one or the other) via a hidden but accessible switch under the steering column. Also, the bottom blank switches on the Porsche console control on/off operation and mute for the AL Priority and the STIiR Plus system. I also have the complete STiR Plus system as a separate system for Radar. You might not want all of this or to do it this way. Therefore my cost likely wouldn't be relevant.

Many customers ship their cars here from out of state for the purchase and install of this equipment along with the total front-end (or whole car wrap) of Expel Ultimate all at once.

My TTS went here unprepped from the dealer with all factory shipping protective wraps (inside and out) and they did a new car prep and Expel front-end wrap along with this work.

I am happy to PM you their contact info if you would like. I have no business relationship with them and would not receive any finder's fees etc. I am just impressed with the quality of their work.
Old 09-07-2015, 03:38 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by MJM911
Yes very much so. It doesn't take much to solve the problem, too bad Porsche didn't think it important to do so. Here is a picture from another angle:
Maybe Porsche doesn't want us tracking our cars. Seems like just a small change in the OEM part is all that's needed.
Old 09-08-2015, 12:03 AM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

To the OP, where is your STi-R Plus receiver module located? Mine is behind the center of the front bumper. It seems like that location would be problematic with the magnetic mount license plate in the center of the bumper.

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-08-2015, 09:59 PM
MJM911
Instructor

Originally Posted by jfr0317
To the OP, where is your STi-R Plus receiver module located? Mine is behind the center of the front bumper. It seems like that location would be problematic with the magnetic mount license plate in the center of the bumper.

Thanks in advance!
The Bel Radar remote antenna and GPS antenna are located next to the drivers side headlight under the bumper facing the sky. No interference from the magnetic plate mount. See picture below from another 991 install:
Old 09-08-2015, 10:00 PM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by MJM911
The Bel Radar remote antenna and GPS are located next to the drivers side headlight under the bumper facing the sky. See picture below:
Thank you so much for the photo! Just what I was looking for! Much obliged!
Old 09-08-2015, 10:05 PM
goin2drt
Race Car

Any pics of the console control buttons?
Old 09-08-2015, 10:15 PM
MJM911
Instructor

Originally Posted by goin2drt
Any pics of the console control buttons?
The blanks are as follows. The bottom left turns on and off the Beltronics STiR Plus radar system. The bottom right is the mute for the Beltronics STiR Plus and the top right (just above) is the power for the AL Priority. To keep this a stealth install, I do not have them labeled. Here is a picture for reference:

Also, the LEDs for each system were installed into the dashboard with the AL Priority on the left and the Beltronics STiR Plus on the right. Here are two pictures for reference:

Old 09-08-2015, 10:21 PM
goin2drt
Race Car

Thanks. That is awesome.

Quick Reply: AL Priority, Bell STiR Plus and other stuff