Sponsored by: Road Spy

Launch control didn't work?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 03:29 PM
PMNewton
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Launch control didn't work?

I tried my second LC start today. My previous attempt worked perfectly. Today I was in Sport+ with the transmission in auto, at a complete stop, left foot brake and when I pressed the gas with my right foot, the Launch Control light didn't come on and the engine revved up slowly as if it were still in gear and it was torque braking. I tried again with the same conditions and got the same result. The only thing I can think of is that I didn't press the gas down past the kickdown button. Is the LC conditional on activating the kickdown?

Thanks,
Patrick
Old 05-28-2015, 04:37 PM
MurderedTurbo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need to make sure you're applying enough pressure to the brakes as well.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:56 PM
Just J
Rennlist Member

Received 335 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by PMNewton
I tried my second LC start today. My previous attempt worked perfectly. Today I was in Sport+ with the transmission in auto, at a complete stop, left foot brake and when I pressed the gas with my right foot, the Launch Control light didn't come on and the engine revved up slowly as if it were still in gear and it was torque braking. I tried again with the same conditions and got the same result. The only thing I can think of is that I didn't press the gas down past the kickdown button. Is the LC conditional on activating the kickdown?

Thanks,
Patrick
Yes, you need to hit the gas quickly and hard - all the way to the floor, activating the kick down. As noted above, be sure to be very hard on the brakes first.
Old 05-28-2015, 05:17 PM
PMNewton
Instructor

Awesome. The first time I launched I just kicked the accelerator straight to the floor. This time I was kind of gingerly pressing the gas pedal.

Much appreciated,
Patrick
Old 05-28-2015, 05:22 PM
991TurboS
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get that Man Foot out, Patrick!

I've only done LC once myself!
Old 05-28-2015, 06:46 PM
PMNewton
Instructor

Originally Posted by 991TurboS
Get that Man Foot out, Patrick!

I've only done LC once myself!
This time, I'll pull my skirt up.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:55 PM
wrs
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Should come on after 5500 rpm no matter how ginger you are with the gas. However, it's no fun if the pedal isn't to the metal the entire time after you launch. Then you just hang on and watch the road and the occasional glance at the speedo to decide when you have had enough.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:30 AM
AndrewP
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Small point for those who do LC, but the speedometer is a few mph behind the actual speed of the car so when it reads 57 it is more like 60 mph when executing LC. This from a PSDS instructor during the TTS LC sessions at Barber.
Old 05-29-2015, 01:44 PM
PMNewton
Instructor

Originally Posted by AndrewP
Small point for those who do LC, but the speedometer is a few mph behind the actual speed of the car so when it reads 57 it is more like 60 mph when executing LC. This from a PSDS instructor during the TTS LC sessions at Barber.
I believe it. If you floor it in any of the bottom three gears the digital speedo looks like a slot machine wheel.

Quick Reply: Launch control didn't work?