Sponsored by: Road Spy

991 turbo - rear rattle

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 07:45 PM
Ysiysi
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 991 turbo - rear rattle

Hey. New to Porsche and had one question on the noise I hear from the right rear. When slowing down, especially at a red light under engine breaking just before coming to a stop, I hear a rattle from what I think is rear right, loud enough to hear inside clearly, but with rasio on cant hear it. Dealer looked at it and of course said cant reproduce. Sounds like a more faint version of what I have heard in nany gtrs and on those it was a bellhousing. Anybody else with this, or ideas what it is - i think I also hear it at faster speeds under decel, goes away on acceleration
Old 07-09-2015, 12:20 PM
Bluehorizon
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

This may be a silly question, but could it be the seatbelts knocking in the back? Or is it coming from outside the interior?
The following users liked this post:
ram_g (02-16-2023)
Old 07-09-2015, 12:51 PM
Ysiysi
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Bluehorizon
This may be a silly question, but could it be the seatbelts knocking in the back? Or is it coming from outside the interior?
The sweet spot for this clunking seems to 18mph, it sounds like flywheel chatter, coming to a spot always there. Don't hear under accel, but on decel and slow drive there - dealer says can't reproduce.
Old 07-10-2015, 02:12 AM
strumbringer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This sounds like something I'm hearing too. When I lift off the gas, I hear a fast rattle that quickly decreases in frequency. It's only for a second or two. Same location - rear right. In my case it sounds almost like a muted kid's jingle bell or something. Does that sound like what you're hearing?
Old 07-10-2015, 05:10 PM
Ysiysi
3rd Gear

This is not high pitched at all..clatter, something loose or having play

Drove it tonight, same exact noise with brakes lightly applied and on neutral just rolling. So that takes the drivetrain out. What could be loose on the rear right or grinding slightly, on smooth pavement it seems to be more og grind thatn clatter. It goes away on accelration, but rolling and decel I hear it all the way from 20mph to stop. Seems a little louder type of clatter going over a bump.

Last edited by Ysiysi; 07-10-2015 at 10:15 PM.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:41 PM
911gaucho
4th Gear

I had a similar noise and realized it was the passenger seat belt clamp hitting the rear hard portion of the passenger seat. Relieved!
Old 07-15-2015, 09:12 PM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 911gaucho
I had a similar noise and realized it was the passenger seat belt clamp hitting the rear hard portion of the passenger seat. Relieved!
Wow I have had that problem too. I will check it out.
Old 04-29-2021, 02:14 AM
Silderejchik
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Ysiysi
Hey. New to Porsche and had one question on the noise I hear from the right rear. When slowing down, especially at a red light under engine breaking just before coming to a stop, I hear a rattle from what I think is rear right, loud enough to hear inside clearly, but with rasio on cant hear it. Dealer looked at it and of course said cant reproduce. Sounds like a more faint version of what I have heard in nany gtrs and on those it was a bellhousing. Anybody else with this, or ideas what it is - i think I also hear it at faster speeds under decel, goes away on acceleration
Hi mate, I hear the same, in the same conditions, and frankly speaking, gone absolutely mad about it already. Visited several service stations, no result. Have you managed to understand where it comes from?
Old 04-29-2021, 03:04 AM
Fastjoe
Intermediate

[QUOTE=Silderejchik;17398611]Hi mate, I hear the same, in the same conditions, and frankly speaking, gone absolutely mad about it already. Visited several service stations, no result. Have you managed to understand where it comes from?[/QUOTE

Last edited by Fastjoe; 04-29-2021 at 03:37 AM. Reason: Wrong answer
Old 04-29-2021, 03:11 AM
Fastjoe
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ysiysi
Hi i had the same noise a while ago it happened to be a loose attach on the right exhaust pipe habe a look at it
Old 05-03-2021, 08:20 AM
Tfk
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

991tts
This has been driving me insane for more than 3 years. Still unresolved..
Old 05-04-2021, 11:06 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 707 Likes on 516 Posts

my noise from that area was the seatbelt mechanism on the passenger rear seat and also front passenger seat belt.......a little wd 40 gel and I am silent now...
Old 05-13-2021, 02:34 PM
Silderejchik
5th Gear

Default Noise making part is found

After long investigation, basically on my own, though I’ve got extended warranty, just got tired of those dealers and their deaf employees, I figured out it was RWS mechanism, that caused noise. Not it’s rubber bushings, but it itself.
Every time I took passenger with me, I’ve noticed that noise decreased significantly. Checked all the rubber bushings/rear struts/strut upper bushings.
At the alignment asked mechanic to tighten the toe bolt when car is jacked a bit (1cm). So when it lowers RWS mechanism bushing will make some tension in RWS mechanism, mimic the situation you’ve got a passenger.
No noise, case closed, now it’s time for me to make my dealer order new RWS part.
Old 05-13-2021, 04:16 PM
911dude41
Drifting

Received 1,159 Likes on 683 Posts

I too have various knocks/rattles coming from the rear. Drives me insane.
Old 04-08-2022, 05:27 AM
Birkinjay
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Silderejchik
After long investigation, basically on my own, though I’ve got extended warranty, just got tired of those dealers and their deaf employees, I figured out it was RWS mechanism, that caused noise. Not it’s rubber bushings, but it itself.
Every time I took passenger with me, I’ve noticed that noise decreased significantly. Checked all the rubber bushings/rear struts/strut upper bushings.
At the alignment asked mechanic to tighten the toe bolt when car is jacked a bit (1cm). So when it lowers RWS mechanism bushing will make some tension in RWS mechanism, mimic the situation you’ve got a passenger.
No noise, case closed, now it’s time for me to make my dealer order new RWS part.
I respect your effort!!
Was the noise you heard similar to a muted clunk while the car is on the uneven road (also on the speedbumps) ? Can you please describe again in detail?
I’ve been chasing the rear end (soft) clunking noise but couldn’t find the cause (checked every bushes). One of the guy suggests that it might be from the strut.

Also when you said “took passenger with you” , was he/she on the rear sear or front seat?

My car is equipped with PDCC, RWS. 991.2 Carrera 4S

Last edited by Birkinjay; 04-08-2022 at 05:40 AM.

Quick Reply: 991 turbo - rear rattle