Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

GMG vs. Techart Vs. H&R springs

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 11:52 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks fine scar. Are those 20"or 21"? Have you done any country runs at all since the drop?
Old 07-28-2015, 01:27 AM
Scarafin
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Speed,

I stuck with the 20's as I wanted to keep the original tyres. The rims are slightly wider so I can go larger later.

Haha, I live in Queensland, Australia.... I'm always doing country runs

My regular route home has several pronounced dips and bumps... which in the past on other vehicles I have had problems with and needed to slow down. Thankfully I have not had this issue with the Techart springs.

I've been modding cars for a few decades now, and you know that feeling after a mod when you have to weigh up the good and the bad to see if it was worth it... well honestly the Techarts have been all positive so far. No doubt for me personally it was a great decision with no regrets at all.

I had the Europipe exhaust fitted at the same time, and I have the same feelings with that....all good, and nothing to fault.

Cheers,
Scar

P.S. sorry about the size of the pic, didn't realise it would post that large
The following users liked this post:
4flynlow (09-18-2019)
Old 07-28-2015, 01:48 AM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by Scarafin
Hey Speed,

I stuck with the 20's as I wanted to keep the original tyres. The rims are slightly wider so I can go larger later.

Haha, I live in Queensland, Australia.... I'm always doing country runs

My regular route home has several pronounced dips and bumps... which in the past on other vehicles I have had problems with and needed to slow down. Thankfully I have not had this issue with the Techart springs.

I've been modding cars for a few decades now, and you know that feeling after a mod when you have to weigh up the good and the bad to see if it was worth it... well honestly the Techarts have been all positive so far. No doubt for me personally it was a great decision with no regrets at all.

I had the Europipe exhaust fitted at the same time, and I have the same feelings with that....all good, and nothing to fault.

Cheers,
Scar

P.S. sorry about the size of the pic, didn't realise it would post that large
No worries scar and good to hear you aren't wasting mileage on city use! I think staying with 20"was a good move. Interesting to hear she isn't bottoming the front spoiler on fast dips.....that would be my main concern in doing this exercise myself. Nothing worse than pushing speed and having to hold back, worrying about scraping the spoiler because the electronics will keep it down at these speeds. I trust you have it wrapped, especially right up around those rear haunches/IC inlet ducts? Those stock stone guard pads really don't go far up enough the rear haunches on this car.. so be careful. Hey good move on the EP too. I'm so enjoying mine. Sounds amazing!
Did you GIAC it yet?
Old 07-29-2015, 12:36 AM
Scarafin
Cruisin'

Hey Speed,

My car is a DD, would average about 15,000 Km's per year, so she's no garage queen

Must admit I have slowly pushed harder and harder in the areas we have some rather large dips, and nothing so far. Entire front is wrapped, and yes parts of the rear as well. I won't even drive a new car out of the dealership now before it's done.

Had my GIAC stage 2 done about 2 weeks ago..... just WOW!!

Still very much enjoying my 991TT, which is rare for me. I usually get bored by the 12 month mark and buy something new. Might hang on to this for another year and look at the market then.

Cheers,
Scar
Old 07-29-2015, 07:30 AM
speed21
Banned

Sounds good Scar. Did you have to pull the ecu - or send it to US for the flash? Any means to data log using Durametric cable? How does it run on the 98? Has the dealer looked it over, or given any thoughts? Sorry so many questions...
Old 08-17-2015, 09:20 PM
goin2drt
Race Car

Received 684 Likes on 377 Posts

I am so close to trying out the Techarts. I need to find someone I trust to touch my car. I also would love to see some before and after side shots with stock wheels. It seems that most every picture out there is with upgraded and most importantly larger wheels.

Any real techy people know and can speak definitively that adding these springs do not mess with the Porsche active suspension?
Old 08-17-2015, 09:50 PM
FBA
Racer

I installed them last week on my 2016. The drop was more than 30 mm for some reason, and that was with higher profile tires overall. My front spoiler now has about 2.5" of clearance when deployed and it's pretty aggressive looking - but too close for comfort in some cases, so I roll it up more than I did before, out of caution.

That said, the ride comfort is about the same but its somewhat tighter around corners. There are no apparent issues with the PASM. PASM works with the shocks and is unaware of the springs, from what I was able to deduce. You may feel a bit more of a harsher ride than I do, because I went with higher sidewalls over stock and Michelin PSS instead of P Zero's, but it would be negligible IMO.

I posted on the other site under "My 2016 TTS with mods". Pics are there and you can clearly see the drop on Techarts.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:54 PM
goin2drt
Race Car

Received 684 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by FBA
I installed them last week on my 2016. The drop was more than 30 mm for some reason, and that was with higher profile tires overall. My front spoiler now has about 2.5" of clearance when deployed and it's pretty aggressive looking - but too close for comfort in some cases and I roll it up more than I did before, out of caution.

That said, the ride comfort is about the same but its somewhat tighter around corners. There are no apparent issues with the PASM. PASM works with the shocks and is unaware of the springs from what I was able to deduce. You may feel a bit more of a harsher ride than I do, because I went with higher sidewalls over stock and Michelin PSS instead of P Zero's, but it would be negligible IMO.

I posted on the other site under "My 2016 TTS with mods". Pics are there and you can clearly see the drop on Techarts.
Thanks. I do like yours and there are lots of pics with different wheels/tires etc. I am just trying to see what my car exactly would look like as I am on stock wheels and rubber.

Good to hear about all the other stuff. I really want the exact ride with taking up a little of the wheel gap. Performance etc to stay the same is fine. It appears as that is exactly what Techart does.
Old 08-17-2015, 11:16 PM
FBA
Racer

It will look insane on stock wheels and rubber! I'm not a huge fan of lowering generally, but with the Techart's, it's a whole other story. They nailed the spring rate right on!
4flynlow (12-03-2019)
Old 08-18-2015, 03:29 PM
crs2pepper
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FBA
I installed them last week on my 2016. The drop was more than 30 mm for some reason, and that was with higher profile tires overall. My front spoiler now has about 2.5" of clearance when deployed and it's pretty aggressive looking - but too close for comfort in some cases, so I roll it up more than I did before, out of caution.

That said, the ride comfort is about the same but its somewhat tighter around corners. There are no apparent issues with the PASM. PASM works with the shocks and is unaware of the springs, from what I was able to deduce. You may feel a bit more of a harsher ride than I do, because I went with higher sidewalls over stock and Michelin PSS instead of P Zero's, but it would be negligible IMO.

+1, had the Techarts on my 991 TTS w/21" wheels and no issues with PASM and ride comfort was barely stiffer over stock
4flynlow (12-03-2019)
Old 11-08-2015, 10:19 AM
AndrewP
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default May explain why RoW springs are not different than US spec

Originally Posted by Jjd006
You know that there is no need to change springs to lower your car. My body shop guy, Marnum collision in Marietta, ga adjusted the ride height of the suspension. I was always under the impression that springs were the answer and that is direction I took on previous cars, however always resulted in a compromised ride quality. They adjusted my turbo 1.1" with no sacrifice to original ride.
If RoW ride height is lower than US spec PASM settings may be the reason. Have posted the question about Euro-spec springs, but no response. I doubt that dealers would do the adjustment due to compliance concerns given the potential legal liability, but will check with mine. Given that some Porsche dealers sell GMG springs and others install Techart springs, the legal concern may not be a problem.
Old 11-22-2015, 01:57 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

We use H&R almost exclusively and have great pricing as a result, PM me if you're interested.
Old 03-04-2018, 07:21 PM
Ruskiy
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 130 Posts

EDIT: N/M My question was 997 related, so doesn't belong on this thread.

Last edited by Ruskiy; 03-05-2018 at 12:27 AM.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:43 AM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts

GMG progressive springs for me. Great ride on street or track. Perfect drop....not too much!
Old 03-05-2018, 05:59 PM
TAGMotorsports
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 244 Likes on 159 Posts

Techart is our favorite here at TAG. Just enough drop without sacrificing ride quality. All of our customers who have opted for these have nothing but good things to say about them!

web: www.TAGMotorsports.com - email: sales@tagmotorsports.com
Authorized Dealer For: HRE, Vossen, TechArt, AWE, Bilstien, KW, Akrapovic, Capristo, Fabspseed, BBI, Vorsteiner, Milltek, 1016 Industries, BBS, Brembo, GMG, H&R, Pirelli, Michelin, Hankook & more.

TechArt & AWE Tuning's #1 Volume Dealer Nationwide
4flynlow (12-04-2019)

Quick Reply: GMG vs. Techart Vs. H&R springs