Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Tire Replacement: Michelin Pilot SS vs Pirelli P Zero

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 10:39 AM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

OP, most warranties say you are fine as long as you stick with OEM size tires. So yes, you can get the michelin PSS. Those are the best street tire you can buy for all conditions as a DD.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:53 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Originally Posted by enzom
How many miles are people seeing on their PZeros before they need replacement?
I will easily get 15,000 miles on the rear tires of my C2S. Pretty happy with that. I'd like to push them a little longer but I'm concerned about wet traction in the rain, and planning a long road trip in June, so I can't pick and choose the days I drive. Normally don't purposely drive in the rain.
Old 05-06-2015, 11:14 AM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Karl911
This is a no brainier, MSC2 only way to go. Order off Tire Rack and ship to your local tire shop. Dealer will rape you!
Really???? I just replaced my MPSC2s on my GT3 - The price from my Porsche Dealer for the tires was LOWER than the Tire Rack price delivered.
With Centerlock Wheels, you are limited to your Porsche Dealer for skilled replacement labor, so at the same or lower price, your Dealer is the best bet.
If you want N (Porsche) Rated MPSC2, the dealers also get preferential delivery.
They were able to deliver my new tires in Days while Tire Rack quoted out of stock with several weeks expected.

With MPSS on my Panamera and MPSC2s on my GT3, I've concluded you can't go
wrong with either tire. The MPSS will give a slightly lower noise level and slightly smoother ride with apparently softer sidewalls, but the MPSC2 will provide crisper
steering, handling and better cornering. With 8,000 Miles, mine were only half worn. Performance in the rain on Wet Roads was very good with the MPSC2s but slightly better with the MPSS. Choice boils down to your choice of Better Handling or More Comfort.
Old 05-06-2015, 11:19 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,138 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
Really???? I just replaced my MPSC2s on my GT3 - The price from my Porsche Dealer for the tires was LOWER than the Tire Rack price delivered.

When I needed Michelin Alpins at delivery in February, Tire Rack had recently sold out for the season. I was delighted to learn the dealer's price matched what had been on Tire Rack's site (and they had a set for me). I think most dealers know most people have and use the internet to compare.
Old 05-06-2015, 11:24 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Originally Posted by Keadog
When I needed Michelin Alpins at delivery in February, Tire Rack had recently sold out for the season. I was delighted to learn the dealer's price matched what had been on Tire Rack's site (and they had a set for me). I think most dealers know most people have and use the internet to compare.
And most people don't realize that the Tire Rack is Porsche's North American tire distributor and warehouse for N rated tires. So they have to be competitive.
Old 05-06-2015, 12:50 PM
991TurboS
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
And most people don't realize that the Tire Rack is Porsche's North American tire distributor and warehouse for N rated tires. So they have to be competitive.
Yup....Tire Rack is where my P Dealer gets their stock from as well.
Old 05-06-2015, 01:29 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,138 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Did not know that but it makes sense. thanks.
Old 05-08-2015, 01:18 PM
AndrewP
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The P Zeros on my '15 TTS showed little wear after 6000 miles until some tracking in 80 degree weather on a track with mostly right turns, so the left front is quite worn so will soon need to be replaced together with the right side tire. Rears are OK so far, but will replace them as well with P Z's.The MPPS rear tires are not available until maybe July according to TR, so it is academic for me about the choice for street compound tires. The P Zeros on the TTS hung with the GT3's with their R compound tires on corners, so not sure why the consensus seems to favor the MPSS's. Have the MPSS on my PGTS and they are fine, but never had P Zero's on it so can't compare.

If anyone has a source for the MPSS tires please PM me, as I would like to try them at least for comparison.
Old 05-09-2015, 03:26 PM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by AndrewP
The P Zeros on my '15 TTS showed little wear after 6000 miles until some tracking in 80 degree weather on a track with mostly right turns, so the left front is quite worn so will soon need to be replaced together with the right side tire. Rears are OK so far, but will replace them as well with P Z's.The MPPS rear tires are not available until maybe July according to TR, so it is academic for me about the choice for street compound tires. The P Zeros on the TTS hung with the GT3's with their R compound tires on corners, so not sure why the consensus seems to favor the MPSS's. Have the MPSS on my PGTS and they are fine, but never had P Zero's on it so can't compare.

If anyone has a source for the MPSS tires please PM me, as I would like to try them at least for comparison.
Only the rear MPSS are out of stock on TR. get the fronts there and the rears at simpletire.com. I did.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:38 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by sdg1871
Only the rear MPSS are out of stock on TR. get the fronts there and the rears at simpletire.com. I did.
Simple Tire now seems out of them, too. TR reports they are backordered and expected in 30-60 days from today.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:23 PM
wrs
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have no issue with PZeros. There are no PSS available so I have gone with PZero again. Since I haven't had PSS on the Porsche, I have no idea if they are any better. Definitely don't want the real high performance stuff but the PSS might have been a little better at the track. However, the PZeros did fine for me at the track. New rears will probably be even better in September when I go back out.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:46 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by enzom
How many miles are people seeing on their PZeros before they need replacement?
Rears only 10,000kms, but I put that down to the use. I think regular street would see close to double that. Fronts are around 60 - 65% done at the moment...

Originally Posted by wrs
I have no issue with PZeros. .
Nor I. I've found them surprisingly good. The only real downside is they do get a bit noisy over @ 5000kms and wear faster than the Mich, but the P Zero feels to me to have better grip during sporty driving events. I could personally see merit trying a set of P/Trofeo R or MPS Cup 2 in the future, but PSS? Hmm....I think I'd just make the jump to an R compound and be done with it.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:54 AM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Tire Replacement: Michelin Pilot SS vs Pirelli P Zero

I switched from the P Zeros to the Pilot Super Sports prior to taking the car on Goldrush Rally 7. I noticed a big improvement in grip.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:19 AM
rolling porsche
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought the tire/wheel insurance from the dealer.
Will they only replace them with PZero or i can choose MPSS?
Old 07-28-2015, 08:35 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rolling porsche
I bought the tire/wheel insurance from the dealer.
Will they only replace them with PZero or i can choose MPSS?
I doubt an official dealer will stray off the beaten "N" path. Pzero has also produced good results on the car so far. An R spec will be better.... I would like to see a back to back lap time test using PSS vs Pzero. Generally, the faster wearing usually grips better than the harder wearing...

Last edited by speed21; 07-28-2015 at 09:17 AM.

Quick Reply: Tire Replacement: Michelin Pilot SS vs Pirelli P Zero