Clear film on Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 04:15 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Clear film on Headlights

Anyone using 3M/Xpel on their headlight covers?

Hearing conflicting info, as it may cause issues because of headlight heat, and cause the lamination to blister.
Old 03-06-2015, 05:19 PM
AndrewP
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My Expel installer told me that there have been problems with film de-laminating factory treatment on headlight lenses, but that may be only for recent models.
Old 03-06-2015, 07:39 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the clear film on all my front lights and so far no problems. My installer did say though that some films can be an issue on the headlights due to burnishing and crazing but what he was using would not be an issue there.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:06 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

I just spoke with someone I know at PCNA, he said, the new 911s, Caymans, Boxsters have a UV protection clear coat on the lenses. Because of this, the film can delaminate the clear coat. Mainly from heat. If it doesn't delaminate from the heat, probably, some of the clear coat would be removed when/if the film is removed, which means a new light unit. Suspect not a warranty item.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:47 PM
PMNewton
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are careful and remove the film from the headlights slowly with a good steamer then you shouldn't have any problems at all. I can also tell you that the UV coating is rock hard. I wouldn't be concerned. Mine are wrapped with Suntek!

- Patrick
Old 03-06-2015, 10:03 PM
FBA
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had film on my headlights on my Z06, Viper and Ford GT for years now... and no issues at all. I will do my TTS the day I get the car.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:20 AM
kev_song
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own a shop in the Boston area that installs XPel. We do not recommend covering the headlights as there is an issue within the headlight covers delaminating when removing film.
Old 03-07-2015, 11:32 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 264 Posts

I have Xpel on the leading edges of my car, including headlights.

What possible concerns could anyone have, if you always keep them covered??

Old 03-07-2015, 11:39 AM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 48 Posts

No problems with Expel Film on my GT3 Headlights
Old 03-07-2015, 05:50 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
I have Xpel on the leading edges of my car, including headlights.

What possible concerns could anyone have, if you always keep them covered??

It is not Xpel specific, nor for the panels, or bumpers, it specifically for new 911, and other models., headlights only. If you own a Ferrari or other cars, it does not apply, Its specific Porsche (don't know about Cayenne or Pano), but Germany is now using, my guess from 2014, a special UV clear coat on the plastic lens for 911's, Caymans, and Boxsters.

It is possible, and it has happened, even with the film on the headlight covers, it still can delaminate bc of the heat of the hi intensity lights and/or summer sun. With the UV clear coat on the softer plastic headlight covers, it is much more sensitive than paint that is baked onto the panels, or even the bumpers. To me, it is a calculated risk to put them on, and decision between you, the installer to include them and/or if your dealer covers the new lamps under warranty. I don't think you can just replace the plastic over, it is the complete headlight unit.
Old 03-08-2015, 12:28 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by luvair
It is not Xpel specific, nor for the panels, or bumpers, it specifically for new 911, and other models., headlights only. If you own a Ferrari or other cars, it does not apply, Its specific Porsche (don't know about Cayenne or Pano), but Germany is now using, my guess from 2014, a special UV clear coat on the plastic lens for 911's, Caymans, and Boxsters.

It is possible, and it has happened, even with the film on the headlight covers, it still can delaminate bc of the heat of the hi intensity lights and/or summer sun. With the UV clear coat on the softer plastic headlight covers, it is much more sensitive than paint that is baked onto the panels, or even the bumpers. To me, it is a calculated risk to put them on, and decision between you, the installer to include them and/or if your dealer covers the new lamps under warranty. I don't think you can just replace the plastic over, it is the complete headlight unit.
Duly noted, but having LED headlights should mitigate any possible heat related issues. Plus delamination would probably only take place when the AM film is removed... but for most the film was being removed simply to be replaced, so I'm not understanding what the concern is.

Old 03-08-2015, 03:08 PM
WCH BOS
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
Duly noted, but having LED headlights should mitigate any possible heat related issues. Plus delamination would probably only take place when the AM film is removed... but for most the film was being removed simply to be replaced, so I'm not understanding what the concern is.

Once delaminated (upon removal of film), it will be hard to put film back on the lights as the surface will be distorted. Since film occasionally needs to be removed and reapplied, this was a risk I didn't want to have.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:18 PM
991TurboS
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I was having film applied to my TTS at the Dealer, I asked about having the lights filmed, and my salesman told me it was against the law in Georgia. Sure enough, it is right there in the code. Don't know about other states.

Not that anyone would probably notice if you did it, however.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:21 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by WCH BOS
Once delaminated (upon removal of film), it will be hard to put film back on the lights as the surface will be distorted. Since film occasionally needs to be removed and reapplied, this was a risk I didn't want to have.
Who told you that? Has someone ever removed the protective film to find that out, or is it just speculation? I asked my film guy about that and he said that was total nonsense and has never seen anything of that nature occur...ever.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:08 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by speed21
Who told you that? Has someone ever removed the protective film to find that out, or is it just speculation? I asked my film guy about that and he said that was total nonsense and has never seen anything of that nature occur...ever.
To each their own. I called Xpel in San Antonio HQ's last week, and their senior sales person recommended not to film the headlights on the new Porsches. Same response as the PCNA engineer that teaches dealer technicians. There have been issues on some 2014/15 Porsche models. Obviously, Porsche sells thousands of cars, and suspect its just a smaller sampling with the issue. No one really knows how it may age in months/years ahead. My take if installer or dealer warranty potential issues, that makes the decision easier, so just install them.

Quick Reply: Clear film on Headlights