Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Macan Steering Wheel Retrofit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 07:41 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the ultimate tell all will be when the gen 2 991 MF wheel becomes available. My techs felt that the new MF paddle shift wheel will likely work on my car but definitely not on a non MF SW boss. The MF SW electronic boss is expensive too so if you currently have the manual paddle shift wheel then for sure you will need to buy the electronic boss which goes with a MF wheel.
Old 07-13-2015, 02:05 PM
Randyc151
Three Wheelin'

Received 277 Likes on 174 Posts

My dealer insisted the Macan wheel would not work as a replacement for my MF wheel. Coming through the Esses at VIR, my hand accidentally changed gears while I was maneuvering through the quick turns, multiple times over a few sessions, and was a deal breaker for me. I got the GT3 sport wheel instead and LOVE it.
Old 07-13-2015, 09:13 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Randyc151
My dealer insisted the Macan wheel would not work as a replacement for my MF wheel. Coming through the Esses at VIR, my hand accidentally changed gears while I was maneuvering through the quick turns, multiple times over a few sessions, and was a deal breaker for me. I got the GT3 sport wheel instead and LOVE it.
The Techs my end feel it is a little early to make any call on that yet. The feeling is that the architecture of the column between gen 1 and 2 will remain the same even though the electronic boss will likely have differences to the existing one. Worse case the boss will need to be bought along with the new s/wheel and then some piwis resetting. I would agree the Macan wheel is not likely to be a fit but the gen 2 911 is a strong possibility…. time will tell, but it won't be a cheap swap over anyway once you add the cost of the boss. Agree accidental changing of gears can happen under track driving type conditions if you are not careful. I'm actually thinking about doing the TA paddle conversion. Has anyone seen it? It covers the top of the buttons with a silver plating. http://www.techart.de/en/techart-sho.../interior.html

Re the current MF wheel I will say there are times where it is nice to have two way buttons either side. I guess there is a trade off having designated paddles but I guess it's all just a matter of the user becoming used to a given set up.
Old 07-14-2015, 04:38 AM
991TurboS
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am glad I had a custom CF/leather Sport wheel done. No worries about fitment, wiring, programming etc. Plug and play, and I have been enjoying it for months now.

I would prolly do the Techart conversion speed21 mentions if I had the MF wheel.

Too much uncertainty about proper function on these Porsche non 911 model steering wheels.

Quick Reply: Macan Steering Wheel Retrofit?