Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Benefit of PSP or Difference in the TTS suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 10:28 AM
docmalone
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Benefit of PSP or Difference in the TTS suspension?

After driving in 4 straight mornings of freezing weather, I have noticed that that crazy " wheel hopping and knocking/thunking noise" when turning sharply is NOT present in my TTS. I always blamed the Pirellis in cold weather, but now I am wondering if power steering plus did away with it? Or something else with the turbo suspension.

At any rate I am happy to be rid of that crazy phenomenon.
Anyone else notice this?
Old 11-18-2014, 10:34 AM
enzom
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by docmalone
After driving in 4 straight mornings of freezing weather, I have noticed that that crazy " wheel hopping and knocking/thunking noise" when turning sharply is NOT present in my TTS. I always blamed the Pirellis in cold weather, but now I am wondering if power steering plus did away with it? Or something else with the turbo suspension.

At any rate I am happy to be rid of that crazy phenomenon.
Anyone else notice this?
I notice that you are in Texas. When you say "freezing", do you mean in the low 30's, or 55 degrees?
Old 11-18-2014, 10:43 AM
docmalone
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Ha!
Fair question, though.
It has been high 20's/low 30's over night. My 2013 S definitely did the crazy wheel "thang" (so did the R8, which is why I blamed Pirellis) when i turned sharply out of the driveway so I noticed instantly the TTS doesn't.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:51 AM
wrs
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Pirelli's do it, I hate it. I am in Austin. I have PSP. It happens backing out of parking spaces too.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:35 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 264 Posts

My Pirelli's do it as well when backing and turning sharply, and I don't have PSP.
Kinda annoying...
Old 11-18-2014, 03:53 PM
enzom
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by docmalone
Ha!
Fair question, though.
It has been high 20's/low 30's over night. My 2013 S definitely did the crazy wheel "thang" (so did the R8, which is why I blamed Pirellis) when i turned sharply out of the driveway so I noticed instantly the TTS doesn't.
Got it. Wondering if the 4 wheel steering has something to do with it. You might not be turning the fronts as hard as you think to get the car pointed where you want it to go. My 2013 S did it too.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:31 PM
boxer-11
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

I'm in WA. It was around 20F degress when I pulled out of the garage this morning and the temp gauge in the cockpit was reading 40 something (so cold but not sub zero where the tires had been sitting overnight). I got several big and loud skips...more than usual but it's colder than usual. I'm on OEM Pirellis and I have PSP although mind is a TT not a TTS; I think for this context the difference probably doesn't matter though.

Only cure I've found is to apply less steering lock.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:02 PM
DragonRR
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I get it on my TTS, No PSP, Pirellis. It is more obvious when cold and reversing especially full lock but also present full lock going forwards slowly. Very weird feeling which I haven't experienced in any other car but assumed it was wide rear tyres coupled with the rear wheel steering.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:39 PM
zedosix
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Its just for a few seconds then we forget about it right. It does go away and I believe it is quite normal. My truck does it as well but only when locked in 4wd.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:02 PM
boxer-11
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by DragonRR
...assumed it was wide rear tyres coupled with the rear wheel steering.
FWIW, I asked the local service department about this when it first happened and what I was told is that it has to do with wide tires canted (relative to terrain normal angle) by a combination of high-speed-oriented front suspension geometry and steering input that net-net reduces the size of the contact patch when you have a lot of lock dialed in resulting in skips accentuated when the summer rubber has low grip anyway owing to low ambient temperature.

Thinking about it now, I bet running at partial load/comfort pressures rather than full load/standard pressures might potentially [marginally??] reduce the symptom.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:52 AM
wrs
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As long as nothing is damaged then I can live with it. It just seems like something might have been getting damaged due to abnormal contact.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:35 PM
Fred Flintstone
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had my TTS for 1 week and this occured when it was very cold out. I thought something was very wrong - sort of freaked me out. I couldn't figure out what was going on. But, after straightening the wheel, all was well and I moved on. Anyway, car is mostly put away for the winter now (sadly).
Old 11-20-2014, 06:37 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 1,227 Likes on 481 Posts

Every porsche I've owned lately has done this; at first I thought I broke the car, then realized this is normal
Old 11-21-2014, 01:48 PM
mgent
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

happens to me in my 991S when at full lock, mostly noticed when backing out of a spot, and happens in summer or winter... Asked service about it, nothing wrong and fairly normal, just geometry and tire size when at full-lock...

Quick Reply: Benefit of PSP or Difference in the TTS suspension?