Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Nothing special about the 991tt

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 10:27 PM
Racer

Received 206 Likes on 93 Posts
Default Nothing special about the 991tt

Sorry for the rant in advance. The turbo is arguably the pinnacle of the Porsche line up. At one time not to long ago you could spot the Turbo from a mile away. Now, especially to the lay person, you have to look really hard to notice the difference between the 991 line up. I was at the dealership last week and almost every model in the Porsche line up had the Turbo wheels. Also just picked up the Macan Turbo for the wife- exhaust 10x better than the 991tt. For around 200k I would expect it to be a little more exclusive.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:05 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I tend to agree with you. Btw, I got my wife a Macan s too, she loves it!
You're right it sounds 10x better than the stock turbo.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:40 PM
08viper1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You want exclusive,look how the Turbo S smokes every thing it races..That is what counts.....

The only thing that will run with my Turbo S is the McLarens ,and it is neck in neck..

TS sound remind me of fighter jets with afterburners...
Old 08-04-2014, 12:03 AM
Snorman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some of us like the understated and anonymous appearance.
Those who know, know. And there are plenty who don't know what they don't know.
That's just fine with me.
S.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:12 AM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 224 Posts

I also have both and have no idea what your talking about. The macan turbo exhaust is like a whisper compared to my 991tts.

I stopped modding card long ago but may have to with the macan turbo, you might as well be driving an electric car!

Jeff
Old 08-04-2014, 12:57 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by jlee504
I also have both and have no idea what your talking about. The macan turbo exhaust is like a whisper compared to my 991tts.

I stopped modding card long ago but may have to with the macan turbo, you might as well be driving an electric car!

Jeff
Agreed. Looks like someone needs some attention.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:38 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

991,997, 996 model ranges share similar levels of differences. And if anyone can't tell then who TF cares? ^Also agree it sounds like someone needs some attention. Maybe trade it for a red Ferrari? ....or just put a flashing light on the roof and be done with it.

And Chris your Macan S sounding better than a 991turbo? LMAO! Someone definitely needs their hearing tested there.

But I would agree the way the TT's wheels are being used across the entire range inc even the suv range is a joke. Someone in Porsche's wheel design dept needs to pull their finger out and stop prostituting the flagships wheels all the damn time. That really needs to stop.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:44 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by jlee504
I also have both and have no idea what your talking about. The macan turbo exhaust is like a whisper compared to my 991tts. I stopped modding card long ago but may have to with the macan turbo, you might as well be driving an electric car! Jeff
My Nissan Leaf (DD)is essentially free to operate, whisper quiet, and very very low key.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:00 AM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thats why they offer center lock wheels.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:35 AM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 152 Posts

If you want attention a 911 is really not the way to get it. They all sorta look the same. Part of a 911's charm in my estimation. I had a guy in a Mazada mini van try to out run me the other day. I am sure he was surprised when I went around him like he was stopped to take a leak.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:40 AM
wrs
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2020
Sorry for the rant in advance. The turbo is arguably the pinnacle of the Porsche line up. At one time not to long ago you could spot the Turbo from a mile away. Now, especially to the lay person, you have to look really hard to notice the difference between the 991 line up. I was at the dealership last week and almost every model in the Porsche line up had the Turbo wheels. Also just picked up the Macan Turbo for the wife- exhaust 10x better than the 991tt. For around 200k I would expect it to be a little more exclusive.

Geez, you can't be serious. I bought my wife the Cayenne Turbo S last weekend and I love hearing her start it up cold. I have a Dinan exhaust on my M5 and hers sounds better. I drove the Macan Turbo and it's exhaust isn't even close to the Cayenne Turbo S sound. Really this is the first out of the box exhaust I have heard which doesn't need any aftermarket help.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:50 PM
AndrewP
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default +1

Originally Posted by Snorman
Some of us like the understated and anonymous appearance.
Those who know, know. And there are plenty who don't know what they don't know.
That's just fine with me.
S.
My perspective also. Where special counts to me is the truly amazing dynamic capability and versatility of the 991 Turbo and Turbo S. Of course, the subject can be a slippery slope, as the topic is about purely subjective views.

Sure, most people can't distinguish the 991 TT or TTS form 911's of the last X years, but I have gotten many compliments on the car from non-Porsche people. It is fine with me if the person with the Ferrari, Lambo or McLaren gets the attention. Of course, the OP might consider a 918 for something special.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:51 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 956 Likes on 427 Posts

2020- I think your TT looks killer; however I am biased because I have the exact car on order, except I ordered the centerlock S wheels. (White TT cab with Garnet/black interior). Sorry you don't like it. I think it is the perfect combo of subtle looks/styling and aggressiveness.

Originally Posted by speed21
: But I would agree the way the TT's wheels are being used across the entire range inc even the suv range is a joke. Someone in Porsche's wheel design dept needs to pull their finger out and stop prostituting the flagships wheels all the damn time. That really needs to stop.
I completely agree with this, however this is nothing new. The cheapest 911 on the lot now has these rims, certainly makes differentiating the vehicles challenging, which goes back to 2020's original complaint. This is another reason I ordered the centerlocks on my TT, not only do they look fantastic but they offer a bit more exclusivity.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:58 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by disden
2020- I think your TT looks killer; however I am biased because I have the exact car on order, except I ordered the centerlock S wheels. (White TT cab with Garnet/black interior). Sorry you don't like it. I think it is the perfect combo of subtle looks/styling and aggressiveness. I completely agree with this, however this is nothing new. The cheapest 911 on the lot now has these rims, certainly makes differentiating the vehicles challenging, which goes back to 2020's original complaint. This is another reason I ordered the centerlocks on my TT, not only do they look fantastic but they offer a bit more exclusivity.
Please don't get me wrong, I completely love this car. It is scary fast and handles phenomally well. Can't beat it as a total package. My Ducati, however, has better raw acceleration and my manual 86 Carrera at times is funner to drive.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:37 AM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I love the new super-wide body on the Turbo. It's amazing in person. Definitely has more presence than a vanilla 991. My only beef is the PDK-only, but with the Turbo at least it makes sense (as opposed to the GT3).

Quick Reply: Nothing special about the 991tt