Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

991 Turbo (S) Coupe vs Cab - Differences?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 03:02 PM
keithos27
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 991 Turbo (S) Coupe vs Cab - Differences?

So this may sound like an obvious question but what are the differences between the coupe and the cabriolet? Obviously one has a retractable folding hardtop but what are some of the lesser obvious differences? For example, the bulge on the back is higher up for the roof to fold in to. Also there seems to be about an $8,000 difference here in the US. Any difference in noise (with top up), handling, etc.?

-Keith
Old 05-21-2014, 03:18 PM
keithos27
Racer

Looks like the seat belts "start" lower on the body as well on the cab
Old 05-21-2014, 05:28 PM
cartester
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The cab is a little heavier. With the top up the noise level at cruise is just like a coupe. It's excellent.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:28 PM
991TurboS
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The TTS does not have a folding hardtop. It has a regular convertible top like any other 911 Cabriolet. A nice convertible top, but not a hard top. Having owned a '14 S Cab and now a TTS Coupe, I can tell you the feeling of security with the Coupe is better. You never know, you might never get broken into or you might, but it is less likely with a Coupe vs a Cab, IMO.

Also, IMO, it depends on where you live. I live in Atlanta as well, and the summers here are so hot that for me, a convertible is useless in the summer except early morning or evening. Not much sucks worse than frying in your full leather interior with the top down when it is 90 degrees plus with the sun beating down on you. I prefer my Coupe with the glass roof. That is enough open air for me. If you like hot open air driving, then you might consider a Turbo Cab. All a matter of choice and opinion.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:23 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

The new 991 TT Cab is definitely not like a regular convertible top from any other 911 Cabriolet.

The TT Cabriolet has magnesium panels covered in padded fabric... perhaps that explains the OP's the reference to folding hard top.

My 993 was a regular convertible as was my 1987 Carrera Cabriolet... 991 TT Cab is different. I can't speak to a 991 C2S Cab top, but I would "think" it's likely the same as the TT.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:14 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^ Agree totally. The 991 cab is on another planet in comparison to the 997. The fit and shape of the roof is now so much tauter and a far superior fit and shape etc. A major step forward..
Old 05-22-2014, 10:41 PM
991TurboS
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Same top as the '14 S Cab, mag frame, but not a folding hardtop. Not a big deal, just didn't want the OP thinking he was going to get an actual folding hardtop, like in a MB SL.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:14 PM
todo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in Houston - similar (or more hot weather) as in Atlanta - I high recommend the TTS - even on hot days, crank the AC and press the seat cool button - enjoy the music from the engine..
Another feature I love in the 991 TTS is the wind deflector which you can activate using the button in the console - as per the manual, you can get this up upto 75MPH. The car becomes markedly less windy with this deflector up - my daughter who kept all kinds of hair bands and hats in my 997 Turbo Cab to stop her hair hitting her face - exclaimed .... I love this cab - I don't have to use any of this... and that is at high speed. The 991 cab has improvements such as this - subtle but pronounced.
Once you go cab ..... there is no turning back...
Old 05-22-2014, 11:20 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by 991TurboS
Same top as the '14 S Cab, mag frame, but not a folding hardtop. Not a big deal, just didn't want the OP thinking he was going to get an actual folding hardtop, like in a MB SL.
Yep not a big deal, but... it's more than just a magnesium frame top.
I was referencing information like this from Road and Track: 991 Cabrio

Old 05-24-2014, 09:42 PM
keithos27
Racer

Thanks everyone.

I noticed the rear seats look a bit more "forward facing" in the cab, and due to room for the folding roof there is no upper shelf for storage in the cab.

Any other differences?
Old 05-24-2014, 09:43 PM
keithos27
Racer

Oh, and obviously the rear window is much smaller on the cab...
Old 07-09-2014, 10:49 AM
Trimmer
Track Day

Here are a few of my observations owning two 991 Cabs (991 4S/sold & now Turbo).

Yes, the top is well insulated put not a pure hard top. It's more a hybrid of a hard drop (like a Merc SL) and a pure rag top. I can still hear road/tire noise coming from the cloth only (some insulation but not hard) rear corners of the top...between rear window and back side windows. It's not a big deal until tires start getting noisy after 3+ thousand miles or near end of life. Friends with 997 cabs say it's a WORLD of difference towards the good in the noise reduction department. It's still not as quiet as the coupe though.

Visibility is not very good with the small rear window. A back up camera is HIGHLY recommended along with parking sensors. The blind spot is also more significant than with the coupe along with small mirrors and you have to pay attention.

I've also driven a 991 Turbo coupe and I will say, it is much tighter than my Turbo Cab. Less creek and shutter for sure. In fact, my 4S was tighter than my Turbo and it may have to do with the PDCC stiffening up the chassis in the Turbo so, something has to give! I was VERY impressed by the 4s' lack of cowl shutter and now, in the Turbo, I have some but, don't get me wrong, it's far less than my '04 SL 600. By no means is it a rattle bucket at all but, I did notice a difference. The coupe also had a Tubi Street exhaust and it was quite noticeable... not sure if it's for me on the Cab.

I do have the Burmeister stereo upgrade and typically listen to it with the top up and only at very low levels with top down to hear a muted exhaust (MUCH more muted than my 4S PSE). I'm debating internally with a Tubi Street exhaust but, waiting for stock exhaust to come in to its own with few thousand miles. I had the GIAC tune which helped the exhaust note and I think after adding the BMC air filters, this will open it up a little too. The turbos really do mute the exhaust note so, that helps with overall acoustics too. The Bermeister in the Porsche is a FANTASTIC upgrade and far better than my B&O upgraded stereo in my Merc GL.

I have driven the Turbo Cab up to around 140mph top up and there is wind noise but quite comfortable. Top down it's wonderful up to around 90mph and then the wind starts picking up. Top down, windows and air screen up, it's actually quite pleasant at speed unless on a busy highway as you'll hear all the other car's tires/noise. I typically ride top up on the highway for the noise reduction unless very short trips on the highway.

I'm also a fan of lighter interiors for Cabs. I know many don't like managing the cleaning of light interiors but, for me, it's more pleasant in the heat with top down. I have a leather protection applied so, cleaning and maintaining is a breeze. I personally don't like sitting in a dark and/or black interior radiating heat at stop lights. I live in SoFl so, heat IS an issue.

I'm not a track guy therefore I got the Cab and went with the Turbo instead of the S but, LOADED it up save for the Carbon Brakes. I have to say, it's one of the best cars I've ever owned...even at the higher price point from previous generations, I STILL think a bang for the buck and BIG handling/performance upgrade from my previous 991 4S Cab. I'm 6'3" 235lbs and I'm very comfortable in the 991.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:38 PM
991uk
AutoX

Don't forget the headlining on the pillars and roof - in the coupe its Arthanracite, unfortunately its some crappy finish on the cab

Quick Reply: 991 Turbo (S) Coupe vs Cab - Differences?