Sponsored by: Road Spy

Smelly and smoking pccbs

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 05:13 PM
YellowPMan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smelly and smoking pccbs

Hi been doing a bit of hard driving today and have noticed the pccbs have been smoking under heavy braking and have a burning smell...is this normal ?Any suggestions? Just over 1000 miles now and first time noticed this. Roof was down so maybe it's been like this all the time..not sure...
Old 04-06-2014, 01:32 AM
DaveChapin
Advanced

Received 62 Likes on 12 Posts

When your care was detailed, did they remove the wheels? I know some serious detailers do that. If so, I wonder if some residue spilled on or near the rotors.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:55 AM
YellowPMan
Instructor

Originally Posted by DaveChapin
When your care was detailed, did they remove the wheels? I know some serious detailers do that. If so, I wonder if some residue spilled on or near the rotors.
No ...I asked them but they didn't touch the rotors they know not to use any chemicals on ceramics ..just thinking if they are coated with something during manufacturing but can't find anything on the web to confirm this . A little worrying as I am tracking the car tomorrow at a Porsche gt magazine event at Brands Hatch Circuit..
Old 04-06-2014, 07:42 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Isn't there a front brake recall/TSB on the front PCCB's? Might be that. Smoke not normal. Smells and odors during brake-in process is normal.....especially after a hard drive.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:53 AM
YellowPMan
Instructor

Originally Posted by LexVan
Isn't there a front brake recall/TSB on the front PCCB's? Might be that. Smoke not normal. Smells and odors during brake-in process is normal.....especially after a hard drive.
Funny enough the smoke was from the rears..and yes smell I guess is normal even with new pads on metal rotors..
Tracking her tomorrow so that will show if anything major
Old 04-06-2014, 03:11 PM
rjn1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There are 2 TSBs for 991 PCCBs. They are for a clicking sound under braking and a metallic tinging sound when reversing on full lock. A small amount of smoke from the discs is "normal" following fairly spirited driving. A smell is normal with and without PCCBs.
Old 04-06-2014, 03:39 PM
YellowPMan
Instructor

Originally Posted by rjn1
There are 2 TSBs for 991 PCCBs. They are for a clicking sound under braking and a metallic tinging sound when reversing on full lock. A small amount of smoke from the discs is "normal" following fairly spirited driving. A smell is normal with and without PCCBs.
Not had any of them problems...so hopefully all is normal...thank you for your reply , much appreciated.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:35 AM
pyramid
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is normal,
http://m.6speedonline.com/forums/sho...31#post3950931
Post #20
Old 04-08-2014, 10:23 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmy348
My PCCB ceramic brake rotors burned out prematurely at 12,000 miles. The repair cost me $10,000 because Porsche refused to honor their warranty. I'd be very careful about burning them out.

For those of you looking for more details, I have described my experience at length in a blog post at http://jimmy348.blogspot.com/.
Holy Horse 5h!T, 12,000 miles - it's not like we're driving Ferraris! But regardless of which manufacturer's car you bought, the Ceramic Brakes came from the same disc maker.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:58 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

My car is very low mileage and I don't track the car. No problems yet but your concerns on the blog are well taken. I have a colleague with a 2010 turbo with PCCB. He uses it as a daily driver and has had no issues at all. Both of us love having no brake dust. In previous posts the recommendation was steel brakes for track cars unless you don't mind the cost of the PCCB's. Your situation is unfortunate and I will watch my brakes closely.

Quick Reply: Smelly and smoking pccbs