Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Impressions after 1k miles of driving.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 02:46 PM
ajag
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Talking Impressions after 1k miles of driving.

I'm very happy w/ the car, more so every day as I get more and more comfortable w/ it, also w/ how it handles specific to the rapidly fluctuating weather conditions the past month. Can't wait for the spring when I can really test it out w/ summer tires on.

RWS: takes a while to get used to, the first few hundred miles I would constantly be checking my speed to see if I could tell the transition from opposed phase (up to 30) to neutral (30-50) to in phase rear steering (over 50), and I still do, but I'm starting to trust the car more. At low speeds, the car rotates more than turns, and at higher speeds it turns in more briskly yet in a controlled fashion than you'd expect.

PDCC: didn't have it on my 991S, still getting used to it and probably won't appreciate it until I'm on the track. The car stays so flat in turns, especially on PASM sport, it's a bit eery. I mainly got it for better tire wear on the track. The car definitely has a softer ride than the 991S, I may end up doing some springs after I see how it is on the track.

Engine/Tranny: Great, as expected. I basically leave it in PDK normal until oil temps are up, then sport, and very occasionally sport+ for bursts of insanity.
I honestly don't miss the extra hp/tq of the S, I may when I'm hitting a straight on the track, but for my purposes on the road, the base TT power is enough. Who knows, I may end up flashing it anyway.

Active Aero: Pretty cool, I throw it on downforce mode (stage 3 I think) for on/off ramps along w/ PASM Sport. You can really feel the difference with it on and off. I use it in the rain and snow at highway speeds as well.

LEDs: Expensive but worth it IMHO.

Overall, I'm incredibly impressed. The car is docile and ultra comfortable in normal mode, and a beast in sport+. It's my daily driver in basically all weather except for deep snow.
Attached Images  
Old 01-18-2014, 03:06 PM
Fixinbones
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 70 Posts

If you had xenons on your 991S can you compare them to the LEDs on your TT.
Old 01-18-2014, 03:21 PM
ajag
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fixinbones
If you had xenons on your 991S can you compare them to the LEDs on your TT.
I did, and they were great. I'm kind of a lighting fanatic, so I appreciate the LEDs but you can't go wrong w/ the xenons.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:31 PM
montreal911
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the post! Great looking car
Old 01-18-2014, 08:00 PM
achildofthesky
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the post. Glad to see one in use it's everyday supercar, variety of elements setting. Any unusual surprises on iced or snowy surfaces? Does the AWS seem "darty" or nervious? I too will use it in all weather other than tree limbs flying through the air and it will see use in snow on an occasional long trips out west. Looking forward to a first drive, likely this week unless the one I saw gets picked up by a new owner. I specifically said I'd prefer not to drive a car that was spoken for as I would not want mine driven either before I would take delivery.

Be safe
Patty
Old 01-18-2014, 08:08 PM
ajag
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by achildofthesky
Thanks for the post. Glad to see one in use it's everyday supercar, variety of elements setting. Any unusual surprises on iced or snowy surfaces? Does the AWS seem "darty" or nervious? I too will use it in all weather other than tree limbs flying through the air and it will see use in snow on an occasional long trips out west. Looking forward to a first drive, likely this week unless the one I saw gets picked up by a new owner. I specifically said I'd prefer not to drive a car that was spoken for as I would not want mine driven either before I would take delivery.

Be safe
Patty
Excellent question about the AWS, I am very judicious w/ the throttle at higher steering angles at speeds less than 30 when on questionable surfaces because I was worried about the less predictable loss of traction w/ the out of phase steering. I am slowing trying it out w/ more and more throttle inputs in those situations to get a feel for how it recaptures grip in those situations, I really need to get out on a snow packed parking lot and play around a bit.

Quick Reply: Impressions after 1k miles of driving.