Sponsored by: Road Spy

Pros and Cons of Turbo S Single Bolt vs 5-Bolt Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 03:10 PM
03LX470
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Pros and Cons of Turbo S Single Bolt vs 5-Bolt Wheels

What are the Pros and Cons of Turbo S Single Bolt vs 5-Bolt Wheels ?

I really like the Turbo S wheel design
Old 01-17-2014, 03:41 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 377 Likes on 226 Posts

Do you track or you don't?
If you track,you might have some wheel flying off with the Centerlocks...
Plus very few shops know how to change wheels with a centerlock. If you get a flat tire in the middle of nowhere you might be stuck...AAA doesn't know how to take off and properly torque centerlock wheels.
Other than the above,it's all good...

5 lugs FTW!
Old 01-17-2014, 04:10 PM
Sean in Texas
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Do you track or you don't?
If you track,you might have some wheel flying off with the Centerlocks...
Plus very few shops know how to change wheels with a centerlock. If you get a flat tire in the middle of nowhere you might be stuck...AAA doesn't know how to take off and properly torque centerlock wheels.
Other than the above,it's all good...

5 lugs FTW!
Technically, unless you're lugging around an extra wheel, there's nothing for AAA to put back on, so why take it off to begin with?

Regardless, if you're going to spend the money on a car with CL's, you need to invest in the torque wrench that goes with.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:24 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Ajax-Prime
Technically, unless you're lugging around an extra wheel, there's nothing for AAA to put back on, so why take it off to begin with? Regardless, if you're going to spend the money on a car with CL's, you need to invest in the torque wrench that goes with.
Because if you're in the middle of nowhere,far from any Porsche dealer or shop that can take centerlocks off and put back on to patch or even worse,change a tire,you'll be in trouble. On the other hand,AAA can always tow you to Joe's in the corner to take off 5 lugs.
Get it?
Old 01-17-2014, 04:45 PM
Sean in Texas
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Because if you're in the middle of nowhere,far from any Porsche dealer or shop that can take centerlocks off and put back on to patch or even worse,change a tire,you'll be in trouble. On the other hand,AAA can always tow you to Joe's in the corner to take off 5 lugs.
Get it?

Chances are, the nearest place that's going to have the tire IS the Porsche dealership. Either way, the owner should know how to change the tire regardless if it's a CL or 5 bolt.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:53 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Ajax-Prime
Chances are, the nearest place that's going to have the tire IS the Porsche dealership. Either way, the owner should know how to change the tire regardless if it's a CL or 5 bolt.
I agree with you in our case,we spend a lot of time and research,knowing the procedure and having the right tools(torque wrench,brake depressor etc). But you have to realize most don't...they'll sit in the car waiting for the tow truck.
And either way,CLs are a pain the ***! 2-3 days after I bought the GTS with worn tires(I was going to change them that coming weekend),I get a flat. Between the 2 hr wait having the dealer come and get me and the whole hassle,it's not worth it IMO. Besides looks,what else is there in the favor of CLs?
Old 01-17-2014, 07:14 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Who would let Joe's tire garage touch their TTS wheels? Not me. I would tow it to the dealership CL or 5 lug. Period.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:47 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 161 Posts

How many Porsche owners change their tites and wheels except the track guys? I ordered the CLs because they look great. Joes tires won't have the tire anyway. Carry a plug kit. I think it's a non issue.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:07 AM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

I suspect very few tires places have the proper machine to properly mount and balance a 305/30/20 tire. I would guess that most tire shops would hack up your wheel. A very costly experiment.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:25 AM
ajag
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

For someone who doesn't track, there really isn't a reason not to get the CLs. I went w/ the 5 lugs not because I was worried about a flat, but because I didn't want to deal w/ the hassle when I wanted to swap wheels or brake pads, larger selection of aftermarket wheels, as well as not wanting to pay for hub maintenance due to tracking.

If I wasn't going to track, I would have gotten the S instead of the base, honestly.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:35 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

I don't understand why anyone would voluntarily pick CL over 5-lug when given the choice.
5 > 1.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:48 AM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 215 Posts

I posed myself the same question - but driven more by variety of wheels 5 lug Vs. CL in the market if ever I was to get snows...or in the future if I want to give the car a different look. I like the look of the CL on the TTS...it is attractive - sporty - yet classic - and by and large makes it easy to distinguish the 's' from the non 's' from a distance (Carcommander notwithstanding). I do my own tire maintenance so not so concerned about investing in the torque wrench that would work with the car's adapter...(which is in the car's boot in a flat situation). With that tool and me standing by his side, CAA (AAA) guys will have no issue maintaining the wheel if any roadside repair was able- on any configuration of wheel....and with that, likely suppliers are from out of town anyway if the existing tire couldn't be salvaged. Manufacturers are now starting to produce more CL wheels so selection not even as much of an issue in the near future. So to me anyway, pick your favourite wheel (CL of 5 lug doesn't matter) and enjoy....but one more thing to consider???...it is a 911 T or TTS guys, doesn't the CL make the car read a little more "exotic" - race pedigree and all - with them on?
Old 01-19-2014, 11:40 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 264 Posts

Personally I would choose 5-lug over CL, especially after listening to the CL guys at the track griping about their experiences and ongoing regular maintenance expenses with CL. They sound like a PITA...

Old 01-19-2014, 04:10 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Overdraft
I posed myself the same question - but driven more by variety of wheels 5 lug Vs. CL in the market if ever I was to get snows...or in the future if I want to give the car a different look. I like the look of the CL on the TTS...it is attractive - sporty - yet classic - and by and large makes it easy to distinguish the 's' from the non 's' from a distance (Carcommander notwithstanding). I do my own tire maintenance so not so concerned about investing in the torque wrench that would work with the car's adapter...(which is in the car's boot in a flat situation). With that tool and me standing by his side, CAA (AAA) guys will have no issue maintaining the wheel if any roadside repair was able- on any configuration of wheel....and with that, likely suppliers are from out of town anyway if the existing tire couldn't be salvaged. Manufacturers are now starting to produce more CL wheels so selection not even as much of an issue in the near future. So to me anyway, pick your favourite wheel (CL of 5 lug doesn't matter) and enjoy....but one more thing to consider???...it is a 911 T or TTS guys, doesn't the CL make the car read a little more "exotic" - race pedigree and all - with them on?
I think the center locks look great. I have learned to order a car with the wheels I want. They were a 4k option. Any quality set of aftermarket wheels is a 7k deal.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:53 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

I will agree with one thing. The CL do look better.

Quick Reply: Pros and Cons of Turbo S Single Bolt vs 5-Bolt Wheels