tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts
Default Chris harris: TTS vs. McLaren

Old 11-30-2013, 02:39 AM
NorthvilleStig
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although he somewhat eagerly declares the McLaren the 'winner' He DOES say the Porsche dominates up to 100 mph ... As fate would have it, that happens to be most my driving.

Last edited by NorthvilleStig; 11-30-2013 at 08:28 AM.
Old 11-30-2013, 01:22 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 48 Posts

I would have liked to know what level of boost the McLaren was running. Any Turbocharged car's performance can be enhanced with additional boost as long as the fuel system will support the additional boost with additional fuel. I'm not pointing any fingers at McLaren, they make an incredible car, but the temptation to supply a car they know will be tested against a competitor with a little additional boost must be very hard to resist. The difference in acceleration and Dynoed HP of my 996 Turbo going from 0.8 Bar boost to 1.0 Bar boost was huge. Also, most of us will drive our Turbos with the Nannies On - not off, as so many reviewers do - including Chris. He loves slipping and sliding the car on his Videos, which look great, and require easing up on the nannies, but it is definitely not the fastest way around a race track. It would also have been more interesting if he had given lap times of both cars - with and without the nannies. Many tests have surprised Pro Drivers by the car being faster with all systems "ON" than "OFF". It is not clear to me that he even used the "Sport Plus" Setting on the Turbo for his
comparisons since he specifically says he has a"All Systems off". Was he trying to out-think the computer
by shifting the car manually? The Porsche Test drivers have found the best track performance to be achieved by letting the computer do the shifting for them while on the track. More questions than answers on this review.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:12 PM
darth g-f
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I understand the urge to test the TurboS against exotic machinery. But I think a 12C comparison should include the upcoming GT2. I still believe that Porsche doesn't want to make the Turbo too much of a great car. With stickier tires and a bit more boost, the TTS could really be a much better car.

Why doesn't the TTS come with the same hp as the GT2? There's absolutely no reason why it shouldn't. With the electro-nannies and awd, the TTS can make even better use of the extra power than the GT2.

Anyway, it's still quite good that the TTS can pretty much keep up with the mclaren despite a 60hp difference and extra weight.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:35 PM
ajag
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

They need to slowly dole out the power so they can justify the premium for the GT2 and leave room for the 991.2 TT/S. They probably felt that there was enough of an improvement between 997.2 TT/S to 991.1 with the new chassis and RWS/PDCC, why make things harder for themselves? The GT2 will probably be 600HP, with the same from the 991.2 TTS. The question I have is how greedy are they going to be w/ the 991 GT2, I don't think they can justify a 220-230k price when people are cross shopping that w/ a lightly used 12C or 12C GT3.

Originally Posted by darth g-f
I understand the urge to test the TurboS against exotic machinery. But I think a 12C comparison should include the upcoming GT2. I still believe that Porsche doesn't want to make the Turbo too much of a great car. With stickier tires and a bit more boost, the TTS could really be a much better car.

Why doesn't the TTS come with the same hp as the GT2? There's absolutely no reason why it shouldn't. With the electro-nannies and awd, the TTS can make even better use of the extra power than the GT2.

Anyway, it's still quite good that the TTS can pretty much keep up with the mclaren despite a 60hp difference and extra weight.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:33 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

wasnt the 997 gt2 rs like $250k?
i suspect the 991 will be more and faster than the MC.
Old 12-01-2013, 01:27 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 48 Posts

The Porsche TTS and GT3 both have already outperformed the McLaren MP4-12C on
the few tracks they have run on. I expect customer's cars will do the same.
Perhaps that is why Chris did not publish laps times on his review after McLaren
was kind enough to give him their car to "test".
See www.fastestlaps.com

TRACK Porsche 991 GT3 991 Turbo S McLaren MP4-12C
Nurburgring 7:25 7:26 7:28
Hockenheim 1:08 1:08.7 1:09
Sachsenring N/A 1:32.5 1:33.6
Old 12-01-2013, 07:27 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Same thread and interesting comments going on over here:

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...ren-12c-2.html

I actually thought post #26 by cheeshead pretty well sums it up for 991tTTs vs the 12c, not taking away from the fact that TTS IS a great car but....

Quick Reply: Chris harris: TTS vs. McLaren