Need advice on Winter Tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 10:38 AM
sscofield
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need advice on Winter Tires

Need Advice:

The new TT-S is anticipated to arrive this week at the dealership in Minnesota. The question is;

Which winter tires should I have installed; options are Pirelli Sotto Zeros versus Michelin PA4s?

Note, I plan to drive the car this winter in the upper mid-west, but only on dry roads both in the city and on the highway.....but no snow conditions, just cold temps.

Also, I plan to have the car shipped to Scottsdale, AZ, and enjoy the car there in the warm weather for a couple of week, then drive back to the uppermid-west. Average temperature in Scottsdale will be 67/45ish.....I do no think that will be any issue for winter tires....do you agree?

Thanks for your input.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:53 PM
Love_Tacos_911
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Park it and buy a Wrangler Rubicon for the winter. Let that take the salt issues and keep the 991 fresh.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:55 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Please call me. I'd love to help!
Old 11-07-2013, 07:24 PM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 392 Likes on 214 Posts

Tire Rack is great - Damon is excellent.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:24 PM
tar6day
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 991Turbo_S
Park it and buy a Wrangler Rubicon for the winter. Let that take the salt issues and keep the 991 fresh.
Why, why , why……these cars are perfect for the winter. My mom, yes my mom, has driven a Porsche TT or TTS for the last 10 years in the snow/ice. She gets a new one even 2-3 years and the winter driving has never affected resale. She has an extra set of rims with winter tires. She always gets the tires that the Porsche manual recommends. TireRack is also a good source for choices.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:35 PM
Love_Tacos_911
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tar6day
Why, why , why……these cars are perfect for the winter. My mom, yes my mom, has driven a Porsche TT or TTS for the last 10 years in the snow/ice. She gets a new one even 2-3 years and the winter driving has never affected resale. She has an extra set of rims with winter tires. She always gets the tires that the Porsche manual recommends. TireRack is also a good source for choices.
I know, I know but the thought of Midwest salted roads and idiot drivers scares me. I save that for the Rubicon. It's beyond stellar in the thick stuff and if something happens to it, I will not shed a tear. Well, maybe a little one.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:06 AM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 392 Likes on 214 Posts

I have much the spirit of tar6day (and his mom) yet the stomach of 991Turbo S. the last three Porsches I told myself...."I'll put snows on her and drive it" which of course...I never do. My plan is to drive my Cayenne tt as my winter beater...

Quick Reply: Need advice on Winter Tires