Just placed an order for a 911 Turbo S
-GT Silver Metallic wrapped around Black/Carbon/Red Leather Interior
-Burmester Package
-Sunroof in Glass
-Porsche Entry & Drive
-Seat Heating and Ventilation
-Park Assist incl. Reversing Camera
-Voice Control and Telephone Module.

Being told it's a December build for January delivery.

Now the painful waiting period begins.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:09 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a pretty good way to open your account. Yes, the wait will be painful, so try and find another hobby in the meanwhile. It helps.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:57 PM
Just J
Rennlist Member

Received 335 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by aamersa
That's a pretty good way to open your account. Yes, the wait will be painful, so try and find another hobby in the meanwhile. It helps.
Yeah, but at this point I can't *afford* another hobby.

Last edited by Just J; 10-14-2013 at 05:59 PM.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:53 PM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by Just J
Yeah, but at this point I can't *afford* another hobby.
Not to be nosey - but I and I am sure other RL folks are curious...why would this Turbo S be your first Porsche? - particularly with the cost of it. I am well past my first one, love the marque yet having a lot of trouble with pulling the trigger on this one. Don't get me wrong, really happy for you and the car is very special I am sure....but wondering what pushed you over the edge? It might be my age and have running out of runway but on the contrary maybe it SHOULD be my age and the fact I am running out of runway is the primary driver to pulling the trigger. hmmm...don't tell me I am trying to talk myself into another one...?
Old 10-14-2013, 07:15 PM
acroholic
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My first Chrysler product was a Viper. My first Ford was a Shelby GT500 ,and my first Chevrolet was a Corvette..........so I don't see any issue with his first Porsche being a TTS, hehehe!
Old 10-14-2013, 09:26 PM
Just J
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Overdraft
Not to be nosey - but I and I am sure other RL folks are curious...why would this Turbo S be your first Porsche? - particularly with the cost of it.
It was a combination of two factors. First was a desire to get back to the track and to have a really capable track car that could also be my year-round daily-driven only car. Second was a significant improvement in my financial situation that allowed me to aim much higher than my usual choice for this purpose (the BMW M3 or, as it would have been had I gone that route this time, the M4).

My philosophy has always been to get the best "tool" that I can afford for any purpose. Based on extensive research over the last 2 months, the Turbo S is the best way to get the thrust thrills I've enjoyed in my Corvettes, the handling happiness I've gotten from my M3s, and a premium environment in which to enjoy these things year round with more day-to-day practicality and at a lower cost than anything else out there at this time. (Yes, I said lower cost, which it is if you look for cars that are that fast, that nimble, that practical, that well built, and that comfortable.)

Plus, a high-performance 911 has always been on my wish list, so now seemed like a good time to check it off. (That runway thing might have played a small part, I admit. )
Old 10-14-2013, 10:00 PM
ajag
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Exactly my purposes for the car, but I went non S to avoid the center locks and PCCBs as I plan on tracking it at least 6x a year and the hassle/cost of those two options wasn't worth it IMHO. You getting yours from the exchange?

It was a combination of two factors. First was a desire to get back to the track and to have a really capable track car that could also be my year-round daily-driven only car. Second was a significant improvement in my financial situation that allowed me to aim much higher than my usual choice for this purpose (the BMW M3 or, as it would have been had I gone that route this time, the M4).

My philosophy has always been to get the best "tool" that I can afford for any purpose. Based on extensive research over the last 2 months, the Turbo S is the best way to get the thrust thrills I've enjoyed in my Corvettes, the handling happiness I've gotten from my M3s, and a premium environment in which to enjoy these things year round with more day-to-day practicality and at a lower cost than anything else out there at this time. (Yes, I said lower cost, which it is if you look for cars that are that fast, that nimble, that practical, that well built, and that comfortable.)

Plus, a high-performance 911 has always been on my wish list, so now seemed like a good time to check it off. (That runway thing might have played a small part, I admit. )
Old 10-14-2013, 11:33 PM
Just J
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ajag
Exactly my purposes for the car, but I went non S to avoid the center locks and PCCBs as I plan on tracking it at least 6x a year and the hassle/cost of those two options wasn't worth it IMHO. You getting yours from the exchange?
I could have spec'd the Non-S Turbo Wheel at no charge to avoid the center locks, but I like the look of the 'S' wheel. As for the PCCB's, I want to give them a try. If they don't work out, I'll swap to steel rotors and suitable pads, but have the advantage of the larger size of the Turbo S's setup.

As noted above, purchased through Motor Werks.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:37 AM
ajag
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I could have spec'd the Non-S Turbo Wheel at no charge to avoid the center locks, but I like the look of the 'S' wheel. As for the PCCB's, I want to give them a try. If they don't work out, I'll swap to steel rotors and suitable pads, but have the advantage of the larger size of the Turbo S's setup.

Gotcha, you've done your research obviously. TTS CL design >> TT 5 lug no doubt, and the PCCBs will be phenomenal I'm sure. Congrats, the GT Silver will look great, I was very torn b/w that and the white.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:27 AM
Rennteam
Advanced

I'm not sure the swapping would be that easy on the 991 Turbo S but why would you want to do that? The PCCB brake is amazing, unless you plan to do professional or semi-professional track racing (disc wear). For this kind of track fun, the 991 Turbo S is the wrong car anyway. I would recommend a 991 GT3 with steel brakes. For casual track fun or driver ed events, PCCB won't disappoint.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:53 AM
Just J
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ajag
Congrats, the GT Silver will look great, I was very torn b/w that and the white.
Thanks. White was my second choice (unlike some, I think it looks pretty cool when paired with the sunroof-in-glass's gloss-black). But having had both colors over the years, I find that mid-tone silvers and grays are better at hiding dust and such while still flattering a car's lines.

Originally Posted by Rennteam
I'm not sure the swapping would be that easy on the 991 Turbo S but why would you want to do that? The PCCB brake is amazing, unless you plan to do professional or semi-professional track racing (disc wear). For this kind of track fun, the 991 Turbo S is the wrong car anyway. I would recommend a 991 GT3 with steel brakes. For casual track fun or driver ed events, PCCB won't disappoint.
Well, as I said, I want to give the PCCB's a try, and hope/believe that they're the right choice. But should they prove problematic (unbearably noisy, too short-lived under the usage to which I'll put them, etc.), it's smart to have a Plan B.

I looked long and hard at the GT3. But I took a pass for two reasons:
  1. I don't expect to do enough track days for the incremental performance to make up for the relatively austere interior the rest of the year.
  2. As a matter of personal taste, that huge (and lovely) rear wing is a little over the top for me to be parking at work and other places (or driving past cops), and I didn't want to worry about the nose (like forgetting to switch on the front axle lift). I prefer the active aerodynamics of the Turbo models that keep that stuff tucked away until needed.
But that's just me - I totally get those who'd rather have the GT3, it's a fantastic car.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:34 PM
darth g-f
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree that for your needs, the Turbo is a better car.

GT3 as an all season, all weather, everyday car is not as good as the Turbo by a wide margin. But the turbo is very close to the GT3 performance on the track.

Enjoy that first Porsche in good health!
Old 10-17-2013, 10:15 AM
Rennteam
Advanced

The PCCB in the 991 Turbo S is the 3rd generation PCCB (997 Turbo S used 2nd generation).
Porsche has changed a couple of things and especially improved the compound material (more ceramics) of the PCCB discs, making them more durable on the track.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:06 PM
Just J
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rennteam
The PCCB in the 991 Turbo S is the 3rd generation PCCB (997 Turbo S used 2nd generation).
Porsche has changed a couple of things and especially improved the compound material (more ceramics) of the PCCB discs, making them more durable on the track.
Good to know - thanks.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:42 AM
Love_Tacos_911
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just placed an order for a 911 Turbo S
-GT Silver Metallic wrapped around Black/Carbon/Red Leather Interior
-Burmester Package
-Sunroof in Glass
-Porsche Entry & Drive
-Seat Heating and Ventilation
-Park Assist incl. Reversing Camera
-Voice Control and Telephone Module.

Being told it's a December build for January delivery.

Now the painful waiting period begins.
Pretty much what I would order. Maybe your pics will push me over the edge.

Looks like in another post you are going to drive it year round in Chicago winters. All the salt makes me cringe!

Quick Reply: My First Porsche