Sponsored by: Road Spy

Turbo S vs. "Plain" Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 07:17 PM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 204 Posts
Default Turbo S vs. "Plain" Turbo

So how stupid is the title of this thread...but can we all please a) convince one and another that this car is even worth the kind of dough and/ or b) please help me understand if for +- $ 30G's, one should make the jump to the 'S' for .1 second to 100KPH and will we kick ourselves for not spending the extra when gone that far and c) any thoughts to resale in 4 years....and the delta in cost between identically equipped TT vs TTS (save for ceramics of course). Would they only be marginally different (maybe $ 10K?). The thought of this kind of money on a car is making me sick. Did it once in the fall of 2009 and don't know if I can do it again. We can buy an AMG S class WITH a nice 996 GT3 for track days and still have enough for a weekend away...though admittedly a Merc is not for me...but you know what I mean. Another poster made the valid comment that we are in the $ 3G's for a lease payment....which is a hurdle I might not be able to cross mentally - and perhaps many others. Is there something I haven't thought of to make me do this - or not do this...
Old 10-07-2013, 07:59 PM
acroholic
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 991 Turbo on order, and I test drove two 997 Turbos (non S), and at 500 HP they had unreal power and torque, more than I'd ever need. 520 from the 991 Turbo is more than enough for me. I believe it would be pretty easy to get the extra 40HP with a tune only or tune/exhaust if I really wanted equal HP.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:35 PM
Just J
Rennlist Member

Received 335 Likes on 154 Posts

Go big or go home.

I'm getting ready to order an 'S'. Life's too short to spend it thinking "gee, I wonder what this car would be like with another 40hp & 30 lb-ft".

I freely admit that it's not rational, but there's nothing rational about dropping 100+ grand on a car when you can get perfectly decent transportation for a a fifth of that, and can get great street/track cars for half the price of a "plain" Turbo or a loaded 4S.

This is about not holding back when it comes to chasing dreams.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:41 AM
Rennteam
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would only choose a Turbo over the Turbo S if cost is an issue and if you really don't want PCCB.

A standard Turbo with the mandatory Sport Chrono and PDCC packages is enough for most people, agreed. However, many add LED lights, leather options and much more, bringing the price tag of a standard Turbo close to the Turbo S. A Turbo with the same standard options as the Turbo S, costs around only 3-4k EUR less than the Turbo S. Even if you don't order PCCB, the price difference would be in the 11-12k EUR range. Not worth it in my opinion, I would always choose the Turbo S.

I guess many who order a Turbo are hoping to put their hands on the Turbo S software, "updating" their Turbo to Turbo S power later on. Not sure how this is going to be possible because Porsche put a lot of effort into making it very very hard for tuners to do that. Don't forget that the engine software isn't the only thing they have to think about.

Unless you REALLY REALLY do not want PCCB or you need to save money or you just want a standard Turbo with no extra options, the Turbo S is the better choice.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:07 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would Choose the Plain Jaine Turbo over the S just to save money for the fancy bits I want to do to the inside of the Car. Primarily Leather and Deviated Stitching.

On and Also, Delete the word "TURBO" from under the Porsche title on the rear Deck Lid and just replace it with that Optional "911" moniker. Got to keep `em guessing.

Amaranth Red Metallic and Carrera Red everywhere in the interior with Racing Yellow Dials and Racing Yellow Seat Belts. Oh and no Silly Center Lock Wheels, Keep `em mother effers Five Bolt thank you.

Also by the way, why can't we yet get the inside ceilings what colors we want them to be instead of just black? What are they using just Alcantara?

Thank you folks, good night!
Old 10-09-2013, 10:20 AM
mikegee
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered the regular TT and it is around 175K. I have been the S route, and the way I spend money on cars it put me way over. I think it's personal preference about how you see money. Anyone who spends close to the 200k mar on a car is ALWAYS thinking about the money they spend, if its all cash, some cash, lease. I have a number in my head that beyond which i really cannot go. Its just a brain thang

Quick Reply: Turbo S vs. "Plain" Turbo