Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Why do we have to wait for VW colors?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 07:48 PM
red route 1
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Why do we have to wait for VW colors?

Ok to be provocative I have a hypothesis -- many of the "new" and PTS colors are already out there, on VW Beetles and such.

I could swear that Meissen Blue has been available for years as a standard VW color -- Denim Blue. I see a lot of those driving around in my area. And it sure looks like the new Sapphire Blue is really just Rising Blue. And Rhodium Silver is just Reflex Silver. And Carmine Red is just Tornado Red.

I don't have a problem with any of that btw, I get that it may take time to ensure the Porsche suppliers can support these colors, but it at least means that our special colors aren't all that special.

Speculation?
Old 06-07-2013, 03:26 PM
Rennteam
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are more than provocative, you are funny.
Porsche uses their own colors and I'm not aware that you can order a color to sample for a Beetle.
Of course some colors may look similar (colors are colors) but VW doesn't have anything to do with the selection of Porsche colors. Don't forget that even if Porsche is part of the VW Group now, they (Porsche) actually almost acquired VW back in 2008 and Porsche is now responsible for the sports car development in the VW Group, including future Audi and especially Lamborghini sports cars.
You want a special color? Get a color to sample. How about foolish red with a hint of crappy pink?!
Old 06-09-2013, 12:09 AM
red route 1
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 10 Posts

ouch. is that the best rennteam can do?
Old 06-22-2013, 04:14 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well one of the big, BIG Issues a few years ago when Porsche was offering Ice Blue Metallic, IBM, on the 997.2 Turbo S was it was a standard color on VW cars for a period of time. Then Porsche came out saying there was some issue with it on the Porsche Cars. In which I called foul, a long with many other Porschephiles. I only ever saw one IBM Turbo S and that was at Quail Lodge during pebble beach circumstances 2010 or 2011.

Funny though I saw a Turbo S for sale on an auction site with the IBM treatment. I still call shanigans on that one.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:52 AM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's all in the paint code & marketing. I had a customer that spec'd his car when the Cayman S was launching in '06. Paid $3k for Exclusive paint.. next year Cobalt Blue was a standard $650 option. It's all marketing- end of story.

I had one PTS experience... Magnolia from a early 80's Rolls Corniche by the time I was finished I felt like an expert in all things PTS. & another .02 my fav color Polar Silver.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:40 PM
Rennteam
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by red route 1
ouch. is that the best rennteam can do?
I could do better but then I would be banned.

Quick Reply: Why do we have to wait for VW colors?