Sponsored by: Road Spy

991 Turbo Microsite

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 08:44 AM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 991 Turbo Microsite

It's worth looking, for some reason it looks a lot more attractive to me than the GT3, maybe because I never saw this car as a track car, and honestly don't care about the PDK on a street car. All the aero gimmicks, all new technology ... price will be extremely high, but ... interesting to say the least.

http://www.porsche.com/microsite/911...onal.aspx?ws=1
Old 05-03-2013, 09:19 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Am I the only one wondering why all of a sudden Porsche seems to be rushing to market with all of the GT models at once. I can't recall having all of the information on the GT3, Turbo and Turbo S thrown about so early. The TTS specs weren't even mentioned until after the Turbo was out. Now they launch both pages at once. The 996 GT3 came out first, but for the 997 it was Turbo, then GT3, RS, Turbo S. But it seemed like much bigger gaps than it is now. And the cars seemed to have come out before the next model was brought up.

Did I miss something?
Old 05-03-2013, 10:09 AM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
Am I the only one wondering why all of a sudden Porsche seems to be rushing to market with all of the GT models at once. I can't recall having all of the information on the GT3, Turbo and Turbo S thrown about so early. The TTS specs weren't even mentioned until after the Turbo was out. Now they launch both pages at once. The 996 GT3 came out first, but for the 997 it was Turbo, then GT3, RS, Turbo S. But it seemed like much bigger gaps than it is now. And the cars seemed to have come out before the next model was brought up.

Did I miss something?
I think all the automakers are speeding up releases given the increased competition in the market. Wait too long and you may lose a sale to another manufacturer. It is better to cannibalize a sale rather than to lose it.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:23 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon70
I think all the automakers are speeding up releases given the increased competition in the market. Wait too long and you may lose a sale to another manufacturer. It is better to cannibalize a sale rather than to lose it.
Exactly, how many models did the 997 have by the end of it's run. Porsche has switched to a new fast paced marketing strategy.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:29 AM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Received 594 Likes on 306 Posts

It's officially the first 911 Turbo that I feel Porsche is going the wrong direction. Meaning, it sounds like more of a luxury car than a sports car and even Porsche seem OK with that to some extent. I look forward to seeing what the new curb weight is.

I look forward to the official performance reviews nonetheless...it's always cool to see the development continue (even if it's not the direction I want with mandatory PDK on all high performance variants).
Old 05-03-2013, 10:35 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
It's officially the first 911 Turbo that I feel Porsche is going the wrong direction. Meaning, it sounds like more of a luxury car than a sports car and even Porsche seem OK with that to some extent. I look forward to seeing what the new curb weight is.

I look forward to the official performance reviews nonetheless...it's always cool to see the development continue (even if it's not the direction I want with mandatory PDK on all high performance variants).
I agree, GT3 and Turbo or now just nice to look at like a F-car. Not something I'd want to have though unless I won the lottery, had money to throw away and had a handful of other manual cars to drive.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:48 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Wow, GT3, Turbo and TTS all at once..

They got the GTR beat.

I wonder how the aero stuff scrapes.

My eyes are watering a little:

The new top models of the 911 model series arrive on the market at the end of 2013 in the United States. The 911 Turbo is priced from $148,300 while the 911 Turbo S begins at $181,100, not including a destination charge of $950.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:51 AM
wanna911
Race Car

I don't think they are all doing it. Nissan hasn't said much of anything about the next GT-R, GM has only confirm that there will be a Z06 and ZR1 in the C7 variant, but little to no details, The Viper has come out, but there is hardly any information on the ACR. Audi, Ferrari, Lambo, everyone seems to be at the normal pace other than Porsche.

Porsche has unveiled and detailed all of the upcoming GT models. This is unheard of for them.

Doesn't sound like they are as confident as they put on. If they rush them all to market, they can see if people like them and if the sales go like they want, and still have time to change back if it bombs. The 7speed manual is starting to sound like a built in fail safe. They have tested it on the 991 and S and have it in their back pocket if the rebellion spills over into their sales.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:37 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"The new 911 Turbo S wears its hunger to perform on its sleeve: at the rear with the “turbo S” logo and the dark chrome-plated tailpipe covers and on the side, through the new SportDesign exterior mirrors with V-shaped mirror base and the forged, bright-polished 20 inch 911 Turbo S wheels. Its central locking devices are taken from motor sport."

Wow, that is pathetic...sucker born every minute and Porsche marketing finds them like no other business does.

"Porsche, the overpriced bling wristwatch of cars"
Old 05-03-2013, 12:49 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
Doesn't sound like they are as confident as they put on. If they rush them all to market, they can see if people like them and if the sales go like they want, and still have time to change back if it bombs. The 7speed manual is starting to sound like a built in fail safe. They have tested it on the 991 and S and have it in their back pocket if the rebellion spills over into their sales.
Agreed, but I don't want that heavy-***, pig of a 7-speed manual abomination of a gearbox either. The "real" manual is officially dead to Porsche.

Like I said before, for a street only car, for $100k, the Audi R8 V8, with a real 6spd manual, no options, sure looks appetizing.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:10 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Id say porsche with VW behind the wheel wants to people to go out and buy now and not wait for what they want.
The porsche buyer already knows who they are now. They know if they are a turbo guy or a gt3 guy etc. No need to space the models out anymore.

Not like somebody who was going to buy a turbo was going to buy a GT3 while they waited for the release of the turbo.
This if anything keeps the turbo buyer from going elsewhere.
No sence in delaying models in hopes of patient buyers willing to wait.
Take their money asap is the business plan id say.....
Old 05-03-2013, 02:15 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

FWIW i have always enjoyed how easy a turbo is to drive fast.

This new turbo again will be a super easy fast car to live with rain or shine.

A ring time is in order to see if it really is the benchmark.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:11 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 147 Posts

I think this happened with AWD on the 993. Which is why we also have the GT2.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:59 PM
ScorpionT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed. It seems no longer like a real sports car and its a big let down.

Anyone else notice the triple-turbo predictions were wrong? Its still a twin VTG setup like the 997.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:51 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Id say porsche with VW behind the wheel wants to people to go out and buy now and not wait for what they want.
The porsche buyer already knows who they are now. They know if they are a turbo guy or a gt3 guy etc. No need to space the models out anymore.

Not like somebody who was going to buy a turbo was going to buy a GT3 while they waited for the release of the turbo.
This if anything keeps the turbo buyer from going elsewhere.
No sence in delaying models in hopes of patient buyers willing to wait.
Take their money asap is the business plan id say.....
That makes sense, but wasn't part of their strategy before to sell to the same people over and over again? How many people here have bought a 997.1 GT3 to then buy a .1 RS and then one or two .2 RS's etc. Or how many people bought a Turbo until the GT3 came out, or switched the other direction?

It seems like flooding the market with everything at once takes away from the awe and excitement of the newer faster version. Sounds like it will kill the sales of the base Turbo to me with dealers trying to upsell most people on the S.

Unless they plan on coming out with a 991.1, 991.2 and 991.3 seems like they are rushing.

Originally Posted by Mvez
Agreed, but I don't want that heavy-***, pig of a 7-speed manual abomination of a gearbox either. The "real" manual is officially dead to Porsche.

Like I said before, for a street only car, for $100k, the Audi R8 V8, with a real 6spd manual, no options, sure looks appetizing.
Absolutely agree. Defeats the purpose of having the manual in the first place. Lose lose situation for people who truly enjoy manuals. Porsche is very far gone.

Quick Reply: 991 Turbo Microsite