Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

991 Turbo S -- so cool, you can pass illegally!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 10:16 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by TomTom77
Speaking about 'what were they thinking': I am amazed to see that, after Porsche finally using the 'proper' way of setting up the sequential PDK-box on the gearlever itself (push for down, pull for up) used the GT3, the one on the Turbo (S) is the 'wrong' way around again...

Stupid!
Where did you see that?
Old 05-04-2013, 10:23 AM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the car is just BEAUTIFUL ...
Old 05-04-2013, 10:42 AM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Hows this for ugly!
Maybe it'll be better in person from that view?
Old 05-04-2013, 12:04 PM
TomTom77
Racer

@ Mdrums: I zoomed in on the interior pictures, for the Turbo (S), next to the gearlever it says from top to bottom: + / M / -, whereas for the GT3 it says - / M / +, the way it should (always have been)... I guess the proper set-up comes with the PDK-S territory only.

Still, the inconsistency is quite funny. Not that I expect there'll be many customers with a GT3 and a Turbo S, but for those who do and drive these cars back-to-back and like to sequential shift with the gearlever rather than paddles, it's FUBAR.

Ah well, maybe we should be just happy that after years of screwing around with stupid toggle switches on the steering, then provided -/+ paddles as an option, Porsche finally seems to have acknowledged that the latter is the only right method...
Old 05-04-2013, 05:20 PM
blackonblack
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know guys, the late 2000's may be a prime time of future classics, at this point I prefer the 997 (especially turbo), the 2010 style Range Rover and the W221 S Class over all their new successors. Plus no manual in the GT3 or Turbo!!! I remember loving the 997 Turbo when it first came out a lot more than I love this 991 Turbo right now. There's no denying the 991 T will be a beast of a car though.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:39 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by TomTom77
@ Mdrums: I zoomed in on the interior pictures, for the Turbo (S), next to the gearlever it says from top to bottom: + / M / -, whereas for the GT3 it says - / M / +, the way it should (always have been)... I guess the proper set-up comes with the PDK-S territory only.

Still, the inconsistency is quite funny. Not that I expect there'll be many customers with a GT3 and a Turbo S, but for those who do and drive these cars back-to-back and like to sequential shift with the gearlever rather than paddles, it's FUBAR.
BMW circa 2001...the first SMG here had the stick +/- correctly, with the Steptronic backwards. Eventually they made both correct.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:54 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,245 Likes on 1,444 Posts

Originally Posted by zirrah
Maybe it'll be better in person from that view?
I think it will look better in person.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:29 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^ I also feel it will look spectacular in the flesh.

Yep, some funny there comments guys. i.e. plastic piece on the door, too wide....LOL. Too funny. The designers at PAG would be laughing their A's off at some of those remarks! The rear looks hot with the extra width and that plastic piece is actually there for a reason... so when you lower the door glass a bit you don't get edge buffeting and whistling from the base area of the leading edge of the door glass....which is what you tend to get on cars that have the glass to that base area. It's nice to be able to drop the window an inch or two and not get too much wind noise.

The new turbo is an unquestionably much classier package than any predecessor turbo. Now whether that's a bad thing or a good thing only each individual can decide that. Personally, in general terms i quite like the look of the car and i think it's about time Porsche came up to the standard of the other high end marks. The 911 turbo is an expensive car and needs to look it. The 997tt looked classy enough on its day against the competition but on todays scale it clearly lacks the polish of todays competition. Even Ferrrari's 458 now has a finish on it that surpasses any 997tt, so sprucing the 991 up is appropriate under the circumstances. The market that possesses that level of spend expects to see the money on the car and this car shows it as does GT3 and the other 991's as well. So there is nothing wrong with that in my book anyway.

I think the front lower slitter section of the front bar looks somewhat sissified for the car in the raised position. The front looks too thin. The active front aero may well be very techy for the nerds but i feel there is more novelty than necessity involved here. The car would look far better with a lower fixed front lower splitter and perhaps a lift kit to cater for any ramps. I'm sure Techart will step up and provide an AM option to toughen the front back up as it should be. The other alternative may be to colour code the front spoiler and leave it in the lowered position all of the time unless on those occasions you have a steep angle to deal with.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:18 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
BMW circa 2001...the first SMG here had the stick +/- correctly, with the Steptronic backwards. Eventually they made both correct.
As a matter of fact I had a few E36 (euro) with the SMG 1 in 1998. Car with the euro 3.2 and 321HP.
Besides the SMG it's a car that I would like to have again.
Fast enough with simple mods, very connected and with a square set up of wheels was a very balanced car.

Now going back to the turbo, it's pretty and a car that a lot of people buy to say they have... Different crowd from GT3, but I still see as a super nice car and this one it pretty !!!
Old 05-04-2013, 10:06 PM
Al Pettee
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
Hopefully the turbo intakes can come painted body color. Prefer the 997 intakes.
No problem, so long as it is black.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:28 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by speed21
^ I also feel it will look spectacular in the flesh.

Yep, some funny there comments guys. i.e. plastic piece on the door, too wide....LOL. Too funny. The designers at PAG would be laughing their A's off at some of those remarks! The rear looks hot with the extra width and that plastic piece is actually there for a reason... so when you lower the door glass a bit you don't get edge buffeting and whistling from the base area of the leading edge of the door glass....which is what you tend to get on cars that have the glass to that base area. It's nice to be able to drop the window an inch or two and not get too much wind noise.

The new turbo is an unquestionably much classier package than any predecessor turbo. Now whether that's a bad thing or a good thing only each individual can decide that. Personally, in general terms i quite like the look of the car and i think it's about time Porsche came up to the standard of the other high end marks. The 911 turbo is an expensive car and needs to look it. The 997tt looked classy enough on its day against the competition but on todays scale it clearly lacks the polish of todays competition. Even Ferrrari's 458 now has a finish on it that surpasses any 997tt, so sprucing the 991 up is appropriate under the circumstances. The market that possesses that level of spend expects to see the money on the car and this car shows it as does GT3 and the other 991's as well. So there is nothing wrong with that in my book anyway.

I think the front lower slitter section of the front bar looks somewhat sissified for the car in the raised position. The front looks too thin. The active front aero may well be very techy for the nerds but i feel there is more novelty than necessity involved here. The car would look far better with a lower fixed front lower splitter and perhaps a lift kit to cater for any ramps. I'm sure Techart will step up and provide an AM option to toughen the front back up as it should be. The other alternative may be to colour code the front spoiler and leave it in the lowered position all of the time unless on those occasions you have a steep angle to deal with.
That's all a bit too antagonistic and condescending for me, but if you care to share your insight into the plastic blank on the door window frame, let's hear it.

The 991 has some terrible buffeting, which I imagine is part of the motivation for the GT3 mirror (which may also be redirecting air flow over the rump or disrupting a vacuum that can suck air up over the side skirt.) Some have found a quick fix remedy of putting a small blank between the mirror and the A pillar, but this doesn't seem to have anything to do with the plastic blank in the door frame to square off the triangle. I think it just reduces the area of the door glass.

I've read other car makers explain (I think even for the 996?) that the door window glass is blanked in this way to reduce its size and weight, to create a space for production line assembly of the window guides and to deal with the minor design discrepancies from model year to year.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:33 AM
shawsan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just cancelled my deposit for a 991 Turbo S. Why? Because the 997 Turbo S looks like a helluva deal and has already undergone its $50K depreciation in just one year. And with the 997 Turbo S I get a car that looks almost the same, has the same center wheel locks, is also 3.8 litre, has more Hp and will be just as fast as the 991 Turbo, has the same twin turbo set up, etc. And maybe the 997 turbo S will have more long-run exclusivity, coming at the end of the 997 turbo production run, instead of being cranked out 991 Turbo S and Turbo at the same time, for another Porsche early money grab. Sure the 991 Turbo S will out-perform the 997 Turbo S (at the margin) but I'm happy to wait until it undergoes savage depreciation alongside the other 21 variants on Porsches standard production platform.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:29 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
That's all a bit too antagonistic and condescending for me, but if you care to share your insight into the plastic blank on the door window frame, let's hear it.

The 991 has some terrible buffeting, which I imagine is part of the motivation for the GT3 mirror (which may also be redirecting air flow over the rump or disrupting a vacuum that can suck air up over the side skirt.) Some have found a quick fix remedy of putting a small blank between the mirror and the A pillar, but this doesn't seem to have anything to do with the plastic blank in the door frame to square off the triangle. I think it just reduces the area of the door glass.

I've read other car makers explain (I think even for the 996?) that the door window glass is blanked in this way to reduce its size and weight, to create a space for production line assembly of the window guides and to deal with the minor design discrepancies from model year to year.
What the..? I found some of the comments funny, so big deal ....certainly not worth getting your knickers in a bind.

Am aware of reports of buffeting and no doubt that's the reason behind Porsches redesign of the door mirrors. Good on them for dealing with that.

Re the plastic corner blank; other than my passing comment on what i've found with certain cars that don't have it, i'm sure it has a few purposes such as retaining rigidity of the door glass as it moves from the raised position. I'm not aware of the exact aerodynamic nuances of the 991tt car but I would suspect reducing wind noise would most likely be a reason why it's there as well. Anyway just my opinion.... To say it's there to purely save money is not a reason in my book (imho). I mean just look at the car....it oozes class and money. If they really wanted to save money....
Old 05-05-2013, 10:36 PM
TOporschefan
Racer

Received 116 Likes on 62 Posts

B E A U T I F U L
Old 05-05-2013, 11:19 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by speed21
What the..? I found some of the comments funny, so big deal ....certainly not worth getting your knickers in a bind.

Am aware of reports of buffeting and no doubt that's the reason behind Porsches redesign of the door mirrors. Good on them for dealing with that.

Re the plastic corner blank; other than my passing comment on what i've found with certain cars that don't have it, i'm sure it has a few purposes such as retaining rigidity of the door glass as it moves from the raised position. I'm not aware of the exact aerodynamic nuances of the 991tt car but I would suspect reducing wind noise would most likely be a reason why it's there as well. Anyway just my opinion.... To say it's there to purely save money is not a reason in my book (imho). I mean just look at the car....it oozes class and money. If they really wanted to save money....
Knickers in a bind? You can't help yourself, can you?

As for money, Porsche is all about shaving pennies and has been since the early 90's when they opened the kimono to Toyota to adopt their logistics and production efficiencies models, BPR, etc. If that plastic bit in the door saved them retooling for the mirror to move out onto the door panel, they'd choose the plastic bit every time. There was a great magazine article when Porsche did the first wet turbo ('01?) and reviewed all the concessions to production engineering (such as plastic inlets instead of "in the metal" as with the 993 Turbo S. Ever since, Porsche has gone with exposed plastic and reserved the "money no object" expertise to be showcased in the masterpiece of the Carrera GT.

Quick Reply: 991 Turbo S -- so cool, you can pass illegally!