Sponsored by: Road Spy

Automatic high beam unavailable - calibration

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2024, 05:11 PM
mikescayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Automatic high beam unavailable - calibration

Hello all, just purchased a new to me 991.1 2014 turbo S and I am obsessed with it. the only issue im having is every time I start it I get an "high beam assistant unavailable" warning message in the instrument cluster screen, and when plugging in my scanner the code just says calibration. Does this calibration need to be done by PIWIS or can other scanners do it so I can avoid a visit to the dealer? Also is it possible there is something bad that may be causing the calibration to be off like a bad sensor, or does this always mean that it just needs to be calibrated? I should mention I have active cruise and that is working perfectly.

I called a couple glass shops they said I need a static calibration and they were able to do it but wanted $300 or more. Any help is appreciated, picture of car and error codes below (after getting it back yesterday from 2 step paint correction and ceramic coating, I then added the door decals to match the PCCB calipers, and installed smoke LED turn signals)

My new turbo S! Love it!

Scanned for codes

Code in front camera control system

Last edited by mikescayenne; 06-12-2024 at 08:41 PM.
Old 06-12-2024, 05:34 PM
grim sleeper
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Hello welcome, nice car..
does it say this on the dash

Old 06-12-2024, 08:39 PM
mikescayenne
Rennlist Member

Thanks, but No this is what it shows…

Old 06-13-2024, 01:37 AM
QUIKROTARY
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

Let me know what you find out. I got the same error but different fault code "C12024 - Communication with headlight control unit"
I started a thread here but no answers:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1413...am-assist.html

I ended up replacing one of the control units (7PP.941.472.D) hoping that would resole my issue...but now have to go to the dealer or mechanic with PIWIS to program the control unit to the car/vin.
From my search of resolving my issue and reading through the threads...I think I remember that calibration must be done via PIWIS.
Old 06-13-2024, 02:00 AM
mikescayenne
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by QUIKROTARY
Let me know what you find out. I got the same error but different fault code "C12024 - Communication with headlight control unit"
I started a thread here but no answers:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1413...am-assist.html

I ended up replacing one of the control units (7PP.941.472.D) hoping that would resole my issue...but now have to go to the dealer or mechanic with PIWIS to program the control unit to the car/vin.
From my search of resolving my issue and reading through the threads...I think I remember that calibration must be done via PIWIS.
yes this is why i bought a PIWIS clone, waiting for that to come in the next 2 weeks then im hoping i can fix it, but was hoping someone had this same issue before, and could let me know how they fixed it while i wait for the PIWIS.
Old 06-13-2024, 02:30 AM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 96 Posts

LMK if you have any issues with the door decals being applied after the ceramic coating. I was advised that to ensure adherence, the ceramic coating should be removed or the adhesive will not stick.
The following users liked this post:
mikescayenne (06-13-2024)
Old 06-30-2024, 01:12 AM
mikescayenne
Rennlist Member

Hello all just a quick update regarding this... yesterday my front camera calibration poster came from aliexpress and I fired up the PIWIS and in the end it all actually worked!!! I was shocked, but before whenever i tried to calibrate the front camera with the PIWIS it would always fail at the "Search for calibration target" step. So i found the calibration target on aliexpress for $23 and bought it thinking this was a huge longshot. I had to adjust the car a couple times to get it perfectly in front of the target and even adjusted the front camera itself by removing the trim above the rear view mirror but PIWIS told me when and what to adjust. After making a couple adjustments to the angle of the car, and the front camera, the calibration finally completed, the "high beam assist not available" warning went away, and my high beam assist began working again (shown by the green headlight icon in the cluster with an A in it)!

Everything was great until today. Out of nowhere while driving at night the good old “high beam assist unavailable” message reappeared in the cluster. I haven’t even checked the code yet but I’m thinking I’ll probably have to replace my front camera next. Not a big deal I checked around and they are cheap, and its very easy to access. Just wanted to update everyone about the calibration and i think its super cool that it worked. You don't need to go to a glass shop and pay extra for their ADAS calibration if you have a piwis and that $23 calibration poster! Props to alibaba! Pics below:

That the front camera calibration poster you need, I had to move the car a couple times for the camera to see it properly

Finally calibration completed successfully in PIWIS!

Last edited by mikescayenne; 06-30-2024 at 01:21 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by mikescayenne:
Coppi52 (07-12-2024), Dennis C (06-30-2024), mystermykee (07-01-2024), worf928 (06-30-2024)
Old 06-30-2024, 04:45 PM
grim sleeper
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Good luck and keep us updated.
The following users liked this post:
mikescayenne (06-30-2024)
Old 07-11-2024, 11:36 PM
mikescayenne
Rennlist Member

hello all, i ended up getting a replacement windshield camera from a junkyard off of a 2018 cayman GTS, and this fixed the problem!!! This camera was a little harder to calibrate since it was a newer version (this cameras part number ended in E, my old camera ended with a B), but it would return values in the PIWIS and tell me what needed to be adjusted, which was awesome! I also needed to code it to the car first which the PIWIS did very easily (I LOVE THIS PIWIS). Anyways, I finally got it calibrated within the 2% margin of error it wanted, and i will save someone hours trying to guess the alignment values by posting them below at the end of this post (since im sure noone will have the required alignment machine for calibration at their home garage), and if anyone needs a link to the calibration poster i bought off aliexpress please PM me. Anyways its been 4 days and no more "high beam assist unavailable" message and my auto high beam works very well now. Picture of the instrument cluster below with the automatic headlight activated and no more warning message!

Alignment values - front left - 580mm, front right - 580mm. rear left - 580mm. rear right - 580mm. distance to calibration panel - 1200mm

Auto high beam on and no warning message!

Last edited by mikescayenne; 07-11-2024 at 11:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Automatic high beam unavailable - calibration