Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

991 TTS or 992 TTS

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2024 | 12:50 PM
K996
Racer

Originally Posted by Pb Pedis
The 991 has a long list of owners with amazing performance on built motors running 8's etc. That's not for me. I'm a stock motor/trans guy and still running stock turbos too - my car is in the 9s at 145+ even on stock turbos with meth and pump gas - that's good enough for me.
My wife says I'm a cheapskate but to Pd's point, this really speaks to what you want to do with the car itself, if you know for a fact that you're gonna jump into modding the engine anyway then to me it doesnt make a lot of sense to start with the much more expensive car since your mod/upgrade costs arent going to be appreciably different but the baseline entry cost is that much higher.
Particularly since your initial question starts out within a context of "relative value" between the two models and "is it worth it", and the fact that you're asking the question tells me this isnt a trivial expense so you have to decide if what the 992 brings to the table is worth it to you (regardless of mods or no mods).
Good luck either way and let us know what you decide.
Old 05-07-2024 | 03:08 PM
vrybad
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pathy
Yeah, most of the $100k-$130k deals have been on 991.1s and not 991.2s, for obvious reasons.

Is there a significant difference between the two in any way, whether that's relability, performance, handling, or quality?
Reliability, handling or quality...negligible differences overall, IMO.
Performance-wise, there is a benefit to the .2 version as the cylinder heads and fuel system, as well as turbos, have been upgraded a little bit.
Based on my understanding, there's probably about 50-70hp wheel hp difference on stock turbos maxed out, mod for mod between the .1 & .2, from what I've seen posted around here.
That translates into about an extra 3-5 or so mph trap speed in the 1/4 mile with both setups near max effort.
If you don't plan on running a max effort stock turbo setup, either a .1 or .2 is a great choice for a nice, quick and responsive driver.

Here's a great older thread to read, not sure if you have seen it but it discusses much of what you are interested in finding out.
It's one professional shop's results but gives you an idea of the actual potential difference between .1 & .2 versions of the same car with similar mods.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turb...y-records.html
The following users liked this post:
K996 (05-07-2024)
Old 05-07-2024 | 04:19 PM
VaderCab
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vrybad
Reliability, handling or quality...negligible differences overall, IMO.
Performance-wise, there is a benefit to the .2 version as the cylinder heads and fuel system, as well as turbos, have been upgraded a little bit.
Based on my understanding, there's probably about 50-70hp wheel hp difference on stock turbos maxed out, mod for mod between the .1 & .2, from what I've seen posted around here.
That translates into about an extra 3-5 or so mph trap speed in the 1/4 mile with both setups near max effort.
If you don't plan on running a max effort stock turbo setup, either a .1 or .2 is a great choice for a nice, quick and responsive driver.

Here's a great older thread to read, not sure if you have seen it but it discusses much of what you are interested in finding out.
It's one professional shop's results but gives you an idea of the actual potential difference between .1 & .2 versions of the same car with similar mods.

This is a great post with useful info. I'll add that the other big differences between the .1 and .2 are [1] the aesthetics of the front and rear bumpers, [2] the updated steering wheel, and [3] Apple CarPlay.

For me, the aesthetics were mostly a wash. The .2s look great and you can see the step toward the 992 aesthetic, but I also like the classic look of the .1.

The updated steering wheel is easy to do, especially if you don't care about the mode selector on the wheel (which is not a huge deal IMO, but can be done). For $2k all in and a 30 min job, I had a new 991.2 sport wheel and airbag.

Lastly, there are some good options on the market for a CarPlay swap. I went with the Mr.12Volt because it has the best audio quality. The install wasn't terrible (though I'd recommend two people to get the unit in/out of the car), and it has worked flawlessly for me.

Bottom line, if you don't care about the additional margin of HP that comes with the .2 or the aesthetics, you can save a lot of money by going with a .2 with some well-placed mods.
Old 05-08-2024 | 04:33 AM
Pathy
Racer

Who knows. Rumors are that the 992.2 line is a combination of turbos, hybrids and NA. Some speculating that the Turbo S will not be hybrid but the GT2RS will be..... who knows for sure! I guess I will when my number comes up. Regardless of powertrain, the 992.2 TTS will be new and whatever it is will be enough for me to buy it built exactly the way I want it.

The 991 has a long list of owners with amazing performance on built motors running 8's etc. That's not for me. I'm a stock motor/trans guy and still running stock turbos too - my car is in the 9s at 145+ even on stock turbos with meth and pump gas - that's good enough for me.
Who does the "built motor" modifications to extract that level of performance out of the 991? Is it a really risky procedure?

Old 05-08-2024 | 04:44 AM
vrybad
Rennlist Member

Who does the "built motor" modifications to extract that level of performance out of the 991? Is it a really risky procedure?
I'll chime in since I'm awake right now. lol
Any of the top shops here can get you set up with an engine upgrade.
I had previously planned to have AIM do mine.
Generally, rods, maybe wrist pins, maybe head studs but a fairly simple upgrade, not inexpensive, however.
Some people go pistons, 4.0 liter, etc but one can get to the 1,000whp level without those things.
Keep in mind that most folks running at that power level have upgraded intake manifolds as well to support the increase boost levels necessary for huge power.
All my comments are based on what I have observed and from conversations I have had with others, so if anyone here has any other info to share, please do, I'm not the guru, just an avid enthusiast.

Last edited by vrybad; 05-08-2024 at 04:48 AM.
onfireTTS (05-08-2024)
Old 05-08-2024 | 07:51 AM
2swoosh
Rennlist Member

Default mighty build

depends on your location, end goal, and a fat bank account. i'll go with AIM based on past experience and they can do mods from A to Z in house sky is the limit. stay in one shop whoever you pick.
best bang for the buck IMO is a 2014-2017 TTS with AIM's ES 750, ES 850, or ES 1250+
Old 05-08-2024 | 12:11 PM
Pb Pedis
Rennlist Member

Default Yep

Originally Posted by 2swoosh
...best bang for the buck IMO is a 2014-2017 TTS with AIM's ES 750, ES 850, or ES 1250+
I think the 991.1 TT is the best value proposition on the 991 platform. With the lowest starting price point (easily found a 991.1 TT with clean title/no accidents/low miles for $100K), you can pick and choose which *upgrades* mean the most to you and select from an impressive list of options - including the shop you want to partner with on your build.
The following 4 users liked this post by Pb Pedis:
Coppi52 (05-09-2024), Foosh (05-08-2024), onfireTTS (05-08-2024), vrybad (05-08-2024)
Old 05-08-2024 | 12:30 PM
Pb Pedis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vrybad
...Here's a great older thread to read, not sure if you have seen it but it discusses much of what you are interested in finding out.

x100000

That thread is so awesome, I just had to re-read everything in there again.
Old 05-08-2024 | 10:12 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

I think the 991.1 TT is the best value proposition on the 991 platform. With the lowest starting price point (easily found a 991.1 TT with clean title/no accidents/low miles for $100K), you can pick and choose which *upgrades* mean the most to you and select from an impressive list of options - including the shop you want to partner with on your build.
I don't disagree (as I have one) - but if I had to start again and now, I'd probably go for the .2 platform. Better turbo's (stock), better fueling, Apple CarPlay, mid-cycle refresh, newer. But the .1's are really good too. A 2017 991.2 TT is a good sweet spot on price and what you get.
Pb Pedis (05-09-2024)

Quick Reply: 991 TTS or 992 TTS