Sponsored by: Road Spy

Stolen Car

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2024, 03:37 PM
CodyzWorld
Burning Brakes

Received 424 Likes on 273 Posts
Default Stolen Car

I belong to another forum for GTR's. Recently, one member with a 2023 GTR had his car stolen out of his parking structure.
The theft was done with someone with an IPAD which probably copied his keyfob signal. Very disturbing.

How vulnerable are our 911.1 and 911.2's? I keep my keys in a Faraday box when at home, but I dont wanna have a false sense
of security when outside. I realize anyone can steal anything if they want it bad enough but I'm asking about our TT and TTS and
what can one do to make it more difficult to steal?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-24-2024, 04:22 PM
aft86
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

For the signal duplication its very hard to gauge. With a cheap Flipper Zero (or a Pi), a signal replicator/transmitter, and a powered antenna you can reach pretty far into a home. I've always been skeptical with those keyfob boxes. If your antenna is powered adequately I wonder if you go through it. I have LoJack on mine and have been thinking about a battery cut off but then again that worries me. If the cutoff dies...then im stranded haha.
Old 04-24-2024, 04:32 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,000 Likes on 602 Posts

I’ve heard about this as well. Super frustrating. Especially considering that if my key is in the wrong pocket, I can’t even start the car lol

Proud TOP Porsche Distributor For:

Kline-Innovation - ams Performance - TiALSPORT/XONA - #1 COBB PRO TUNER - CSF - IPD Plenums - DO88 - dodsonmotorsport

310-600-1850 - sam@bydesignauto.com
Old 04-24-2024, 04:47 PM
K996
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

I've wondered about this too, particularly when the car is away from my garage (I have zero concerns at home for a variety of reasons).
My limited investigation was that relay or cloning attacks (where the car is fooled into thinking the key is near/inside) are commonly how the frequently stolen cars are taken. Pretty sure this technique works on porsches too.
A metal box/faraday cage should block it... unless they've already captured the signal with a static device hidden where it's normally parked, etc.

Making it harder to steal:
- with entry and drive, couldnt you just remove the fake key and take it with you?
- there are immobilizers (can-phantom for example)

I've already placed a couple of apple airtags on each of my cars (do the mod to remove the speaker so it cant be located).

Where I live has a lot of car thefts, but mainly nissan, dodge, kia, hyundai.. although there have been some high end vehicles too. Watching thread to see if any other ideas pop up.
Old 04-24-2024, 04:54 PM
CodyzWorld
Burning Brakes

Received 424 Likes on 273 Posts

Ignition kill switches can fail and you're stuck so I'm very sus on those.
My friends laugh at me when they saw I used a CLUB LX on my Infiniti Q50S. I didn't think it was that funny.
Putting one on my TTS? idk about that. However, I feel that making it difficult is the most we can do.
Alarms systems can be disabled, steering wheels with clubs on can be cut, yes but what else is there?
Old 04-24-2024, 05:20 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,274 Likes on 820 Posts

Keys in a Faraday bag. Club on the steering wheel. In the case of my F250, welded bars across the cat. Wifi cameras pointed at the car. A barking dog. Alarm signs in the yard. Good lighting. Gates or other things that inhibit ingress and aggressive. Battery disconnect devices. These things keep honest people honest. Thieves are inclined to go to the easy pickings. Anything we can do to make it a bit harder makes us less likely to become victims.

Quick Reply: Stolen Car