Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

991.1 to 991.2 Steering Wheel Swap (Heated, Multifunction, PDK)

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2024, 04:29 PM
milmast
2nd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 991.1 to 991.2 Steering Wheel Swap (Heated, Multifunction, PDK)

Hello everyone,

My name is Milan and I'm inquiring on behalf of my father who recently acquired a 991.1 Turbo PDK. With myself and my younger brother's addiction to driving, upgrading, and loving cars, we now can share that passion with our father. He's recently PPF'd the entire vehicle, purchased a full custom 321 stainless exhaust with an engine & transmission tune, new Apex wheels & tires (to be installed within the next couple weeks), and I'm trying to find more information regarding the 991.1 steering wheel. We're not a fan of the design of the 991.1 "paddles/ buttons" on the wheel, and looked into swapping the 991.1 steering wheel & airbag setup for a similar wheel found in the updated 991.2 that has traditional paddle shifters.

This spec 911's wheel is leather, heated, multifunction, and non-chrono. The intent is to change the wheel to the newer 991.2 GT Sports steering wheel, finished in Alcantara instead of leather & carbon, and I believe the correct part number is the following, (991-044-400-20).

I would also need a newer 991.2 airbag, which I believe also means a newer Macan airbag would also work. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the airbag part number that would be looking at is the following, (95B.880.201.AF.5Q0). There seems to be so many different part numbers for the airbags, I find it quite hilarious.

To add to the complexity, the answer doesn't seem to be quite so clear whether I also need this adapter, STMV1-H, from GPSAdaters(dot)us to have this .2 wheel work flawlessly in the .1 911. I would appreciate any light shined on the topic & my specific situation. Thank you in advance.

PFA - image of my father & his current steering wheel setup

The following users liked this post:
Coppi52 (04-19-2024)
Old 04-18-2024, 04:36 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,256 Likes on 788 Posts

You might also consider the 991.1 sport steering wheel. It has proper paddle shifters, but it doesn’t have heat or multi-function controls. I like this wheel very much in my 991.1 Turbo S. It would likely be a simpler and less expensive upgrade.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/991ALCSD.html
Old 04-18-2024, 07:10 PM
milmast
2nd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
You might also consider the 991.1 sport steering wheel. It has proper paddle shifters, but it doesn’t have heat or multi-function controls. I like this wheel very much in my 991.1 Turbo S. It would likely be a simpler and less expensive upgrade.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/991ALCSD.html
I appreciate the suggestion Dennis, and as much as I would like to change the wheel out to the sport 991.1 wheel, my father has decided to keep all of the steering wheel controls intact.
The following users liked this post:
Dennis C (04-19-2024)
Old 04-19-2024, 12:54 AM
9forty4
Advanced

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

I swapped the newer GT style multifunction wheel in my .1 as soon as I got it. Email the guy at GPS Adapters about what exactly you have and what you want to get and he will steer you in the right direction of parts needed. I bought all my parts new but if you have some patience you may be able to find the items cheaper used. The actual swap of the wheel and wiring of the gpsadapter was rather easy. Retrofitting carplay in the 3.1 pcm was WAY harder (getting the headunit back in the dash was a bitch).
Old 04-19-2024, 08:44 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,256 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by milmast
I appreciate the suggestion Dennis, and as much as I would like to change the wheel out to the sport 991.1 wheel, my father has decided to keep all of the steering wheel controls intact.
Got it. I didn’t consider the fact that your father’s wheel already had heat and multi-function controls.
Old 04-19-2024, 11:33 PM
drbroom
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I just completed this very swap... (will post pics later)

frond my wheel on ebay from this guy <https://www.ebay.com/str/911ava>. LOVE his work and the wheel feels great in my hands,

the other part you need is from Paul Li at <https://gpsadapter.us/>. I got his Adapter-X. Highly recommend both the product and working with Paul,

hope that helps

eric

Quick Reply: 991.1 to 991.2 Steering Wheel Swap (Heated, Multifunction, PDK)