DIY CELL PHONE MOUNT

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2024, 10:53 AM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 96 Posts
Default DIY CELL PHONE MOUNT

Per my posting of 11/9/2023, I was looking for recommendations for a cell phone mount to use in my then newly acquired 2015 Turbo S. I tried several of the recommendations, but found them wanting. The vent mounts wiggled too much. The Magsafe units didn't hold onto the phone in very spirited driving, and, for the most part, I either hit them with my knee and/or they blocked some of the switches or intruded into the pax area.

To the rescue came my good friend Wayne Smith. Wayne fabricated a mount in the exact location I wanted. I do not need visibility of the phone itself since I have Mr12Volt wireless Android Auto installed (also by Wayne).

First, we removed the left side center console cover to expose the area into which we planned to attach the mount. Not finding anything suitable, we found a space on the cover itself.

Wayne cut aluminum bar (⅛” thick x 1” wide) to fit into this space (4”) then notched it to fit over a piece on the cover giving it additional support. We determined that a sandwich configuration was needed. That is, a second piece of the bar (4”) was sandwiched between that first piece and the actual phone mount piece (8”). These three pieces were drilled through, tapped, and held together with countersunk screws. To ease repositioning the side cover, the edges of this “sandwich” were chamfered. Nonetheless, some force is needed to slide the side cover into place. (Measurements are approximates.)

The phone mount piece was then bent into position. A threaded ball was attached to that piece, and the phone holder itself mounted onto the ball. We then ran a USB-A to USB-C cable from the pax footwell socket behind the console to provide power to the wireless charging holder.

Note that no holes were drilled into any part of the car.

Old 03-12-2024, 01:37 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 762 Posts

FWIW, the phone cradle is ...

Wireless Car Charger, CHGeek 15W...
Amazon Amazon

No affiliation. This unit uses wireless fast charging. It works on Apple or Android phones. It charges faster than the phone's power use even when using Nav and music and ... It senses when a device is put into it, so it auto clamps. There is a release button to unclamp. If you use this in a car that shuts power off with the ignition, there is a capacitor inside, so you can still release the phone. In this case, if you put the phone in without power, you can also push the button to clamp the phone. In other words, this is the mount that, after long searches and several failures, ended up in all of my rides.
Old 03-12-2024, 01:43 PM
MEZGER-TT
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Take a look at rennline.com for the best and cleanest phone mounts.
The following users liked this post:
RSBro (03-14-2024)
Old 03-12-2024, 06:53 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 96 Posts

Did. Nothing worked for me.

Quick Reply: DIY CELL PHONE MOUNT