Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

2 Year Build Review

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2024, 08:15 PM
Steven31371
Pro

Received 296 Likes on 190 Posts

Guys, here’s my very best advice after several years of ups and downs tuning these cars.

Don’t forget, or lose sight of the fact that it’s about the driving experience, not what times you can post on the Internet.

If you are building these cars because you get a thrill out of posting a dragy screenshot, instead of getting a thrill out of driving the thing you’re missing out on the real point of these cars, you very often get the thrill your seeking. Meaning if you’re only getting a thrill from posting a dragy time instead of a thrill from driving the car then more often than not you’re gonna get to post a few quick draggy times but not get to actually drive your car that much and enjoy it, because it’s a common sense fact that pushing for those last tenths is going to break stuff 100% of the time.

Alternatively, you can focus on the driving experience. If you do that I promise you you’ll have way more fun in your car doing endless 60 to 130 pulls at insane speeds than posting a few tenths faster times in a car that spends more time in the shop than under your **** going fast. From a purely driving perspective, it’s not noticeably more of thrill or adrenaline rush to do a 3.8 second 60 to 130 pull than it is to do a 3.5 second 60 to 130 pull.

Funner to post a 3.4, but even funner to actually do hundreds of 3.8 second pulls without headaches and heartaches 😂😂😂

Thats no dig on anybody, just my personal 2 cents worth of advice on how to really enjoy these cars. Most of us aren’t racing for money, and as far as I know there’s no Draggy prize money at play lol

Last edited by Steven31371; 02-21-2024 at 08:24 PM.
Old 02-22-2024, 12:26 AM
DubaiPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven31371
Guys, here’s my very best advice after several years of ups and downs tuning these cars.

Don’t forget, or lose sight of the fact that it’s about the driving experience, not what times you can post on the Internet.

If you are building these cars because you get a thrill out of posting a dragy screenshot, instead of getting a thrill out of driving the thing you’re missing out on the real point of these cars, you very often get the thrill your seeking. Meaning if you’re only getting a thrill from posting a dragy time instead of a thrill from driving the car then more often than not you’re gonna get to post a few quick draggy times but not get to actually drive your car that much and enjoy it, because it’s a common sense fact that pushing for those last tenths is going to break stuff 100% of the time.

Alternatively, you can focus on the driving experience. If you do that I promise you you’ll have way more fun in your car doing endless 60 to 130 pulls at insane speeds than posting a few tenths faster times in a car that spends more time in the shop than under your **** going fast. From a purely driving perspective, it’s not noticeably more of thrill or adrenaline rush to do a 3.8 second 60 to 130 pull than it is to do a 3.5 second 60 to 130 pull.

Funner to post a 3.4, but even funner to actually do hundreds of 3.8 second pulls without headaches and heartaches 😂😂😂

Thats no dig on anybody, just my personal 2 cents worth of advice on how to really enjoy these cars. Most of us aren’t racing for money, and as far as I know there’s no Draggy prize money at play lol
You are speaking from your perspective, so i wouldn't try to project it onto others. I just find it funny how you say this but then proceed to do a ton of draggy pulls to get a specific number. Downhill unverified? Please confirm.

I take mine to events to race, you have your top down enjoying the sun its all good people can like different things. Also, wouldnt be bragging about reliability if you know who built it 😂
Old 02-22-2024, 01:18 AM
Steven31371
Pro

Originally Posted by DubaiPorsche
You are speaking from your perspective, so i wouldn't try to project it onto others. I just find it funny how you say this but then proceed to do a ton of draggy pulls to get a specific number. Downhill unverified? Please confirm.

I take mine to events to race, you have your top down enjoying the sun its all good people can like different things. Also, wouldnt be bragging about reliability if you know who built it 😂
You mean John Brae at Evo-Spec? I’ve used a shop or two over the years on these builds that did some suspect things, but John at EvoSpec isn’t one of them, he built me a crazy powered car that I can and have daily driven for two years now.

And “a ton of draggy pulls to get a specific number?” I did one that day, like year ago, out of curiosity when I happened to find an empty stretch of road while out enjoying the car. Fun to see what it can do on the fly while just out tooling around on a Sunday afternoon.

Also, I wasn’t talking to you, you have what I call the chasing tenths ‘mania’, I once had it so I know what it’s like and generally don’t interact with people that have it, because they are usually *********. Present company included when I cared about posting times and showing off numbers more than I cared about just driving the car and having fun.

I’m not trying to project my perspective on to anyone, I believe I started with: “My best advice for anyone going down this path is…” or something like that.

I always find it funny when guys who chase tenths in a modified street car break stuff then blame the tuner, or the shop, or the design guy for breaking stuff, when in most cases they said don’t do that or you’ll break stuff. If you push tenths in a heavily modified street car designed for fun not racing, YOU will break stuff, 100% of the time, no matter who builds or works on your car. Because you are intentionally pushing it to its breaking limit, then often get mad at the tuner or shop when you find that limit.

In any case, I didn’t post this thread to get into a dick waiving contest, or a tit for tat, enjoy your car however you want to. I will do the same.

These cars aren’t built for racing. They are built for fun. They are highly modified street cars, and not even close to the top of the food chain these days even in that category. They will win exactly zero half mile events, lose most roll races against the top of the food chain of what’s out there, won’t go around a curvy track like a GT3, or win you a single dollar in prize money anywhere other than maybe a street race somewhere with side bets.

This car is what it is, a badass street car that’s a blast to drive whether it does a 3.4 or a 3.7 60 to 130 pull.

Its not a race car of note in any category, and the racing that people claim to do with them is pseudo racing for bragging rights in extremely small ‘categories’ that matter to no one other than the 150 people around the world that have a similar toy, or racing 6 other guys at half mile races with very similar cars, none of it is actual racing that requires a lick of skill. It does seem to attract racer wannabes that puff up a lot though. I was one, that’s how I know. But then I started taking the Ducati to the curvy tracks, where the bike means nothing whatsoever about how fast you get around the track, and learned what real racing is, it’s not about the car or the bike in REAL racing except in the top professional classes, it’s about the driver or rider, and lap times and podiums are the only barometers of speed.

These cars are fun toys, nothing more nothing less, not competitive race cars, and most people that have them are so far from being a race car driver that it’s comical to even put yourself in the same thought pattern.

So nobody with a car built like ours is a race car driver driving a race car, we are guys with enough expendable cash to afford a completely useless toy other than the joy and fun it gives us to drive it.

And as far as reliability goes, I’m not talking in the abstract, or opinion about how reliable I think it might be…the car has been in this iteration for two years, literally thousands of hard pulls in full kill mode and usually under the worst conditions, with maximum weight and the hottest part of a weekend afternoon, and is still running like it was a warranty car from the factory. I don’t know what else there is that matters on the reliability front?

You however seem to be more interested in dick waiving and criticizing and being argumentative on a forum, I’m not interested in that, and beyond this post won’t acknowledge that kind of Juvenile behavior or participate in it.

If you want to have a jovial or collegial discussion about the cars we both obviously love, I’m happy to talk about both mine and your build comparisons. As a fan of these toys I’m pretty interested in your setup? But that’s not an invitation to argue over it, it’s an invitation to compare notes and maybe in a collegial way learn something from each other that’s fun.

I don’t know about you, but I have a Porsche, that is as comfortable as a Porsche, handles like a Porsche, is as reliable as a Porsche is known to be, but has a lot more power than it does from the factory, enough to thrill me every time I get in it even after tracking a nearly WSBK spec Ducati. Nothing more nothing less.

Last edited by Steven31371; 02-23-2024 at 01:21 AM.
Old 02-22-2024, 02:04 AM
Steven31371
Pro

Funny story just to put things into perspective with these cars and these type of builds. Fairly frequently, I’ll drive the car several hours to a clients business to open a project. At lunchtime they’ll inevitably ask to go for a ride in it and I oblige. Most people have never been in 1000+ horsepower car with brakes like that Porsche. So I do a really hard pull followed by some hard braking. They’ll get that thousand mile stare or a look of stunned shock on their face, It’s a lot of fun for both of us.

Last year I was opening a project at a business owned by a guy named Gary Scelzi. I had no idea who he was outside of the business. I took him out for a few hard pulls in the Cab with the top down. When I looked over at him, I swear he looked like he was gonna yawn lol.

When we got back to his office, I started taking a closer look around at the pictures and trophies on his wall, turns out Gary is arguably the greatest drag racer in history, multiple top fuel world championships, and world records. The cars he did hard pull in had trap speeds of over 300 mph on three second quarter mile runs. 😂😂😂

Those are race cars, my car is not even competitive with the top street cars out there these days when you look at stuff like the underground racing Lambo and R8’s and stuff like that.

I am however still faster than the fastest Tesla 😂😂😂

Last edited by Steven31371; 02-22-2024 at 02:11 AM.
Old 02-22-2024, 11:34 PM
bigrpowr
Rennlist Member

Received 332 Likes on 229 Posts

hi steve!!! glad you're car is giving you the grins!! we need to catch up soon. theres a big PCA cars and coffee here next weekend if you wanna make the drive.
The following users liked this post:
Steven31371 (02-23-2024)
Old 02-23-2024, 07:56 AM
2swoosh
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 201 Posts

OP's car is nice and i'll say a perfect rig for all occasion, happy motoring!

Quick Reply: 2 Year Build Review