Sponsored by: Road Spy

Emergency motor cover release

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2024, 12:45 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 781 Posts
Default Emergency motor cover release

I've been caring for a fleet of 997s amongst friends, but one of those friends converted to your lot. Yes, I'm envious, but in the meantime I'm trying to learn. The 997s had absurd emergency release cables. So ...

I picked up a bunch of bicycle brake cables to attach to the bottom of the frunk latch lever and ran the sheath (to prevent snagging) to the car's right routing it to behind the right side light. With the cable run through the sheath it was then easy to flip out the side light for a quick pull to release the frunk. It looks like the 991.1 can be set up the same way.

But on the other cable ...

On the 997 it was easy to route the motor cover release cable straight down from the latch, through the bumper cover, and wrap it behind the license plate bracket. The 991 appears to be a different animal. The 991 cable appears to route under the solenoid putting the pull orthogonal to the correct direction for release. And instead of being tucked inside the taillight, it is housed fully in the engine bay. Am I looking at this incorrectly? The attached picture shows the cable with ball on its end. Is this really the emergency release? Has anyone found a clean way to move this to the outside of the engine bay?

Thanks in advance ... Wayne
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Emergency motor cover release