Sponsored by: Road Spy

Different modes

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2023, 10:05 AM
CodyzWorld
Burning Brakes

Received 400 Likes on 260 Posts
Default Different modes

Here's a rookie question, even for owning and driving/racing/canyon driving my TTS for over a year.

Normal mode - driving around town, max mileage, general cruising, got it
Sport Mode - usage for launch control, drag racing, canyon driving, etc
Sports Plus Mode - what is this generally used for? what would I really notice? I feel that its somewhat subdued compared to the sports mode.

When do you all use specific modes for? Do you find that a specific mode works better with manual shifting? All auto?
Any help and advice would be great.
Old 07-03-2023, 10:30 AM
vrybad
Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts

Good questions since I drive in Sport manual mode 99% of the time and also have little experience between the two performance modes.

Last edited by vrybad; 07-03-2023 at 10:36 AM.
Old 07-03-2023, 01:22 PM
onfireTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,111 Likes on 858 Posts

Normal is definitely normal. Soft suspension. Slower boost ramp. LC is lower rpm. Minimum Aero.

Sport adds exhaust burbles and a louder idle sound. If you use Sport for drag racing you need to use the Reaponse Button too for best boost profile.

Sport Plus does not need the Response Button. It locks in the best boost profile, tightest suspension settings and it forces front and rear spoilers to max deployment for max downforce. Max clutch pressure and max cooling setting.

That’s why I set my Independent setting for max boost profile and least aero. Best for drag racing.

Im sure there are many other benefits I am leaving out.
Old 07-03-2023, 02:13 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,442 Likes on 899 Posts

I drive in sport mode all the time. I almost never drive in Sport Plus because I live in the mountains and fully deploying the front spoiler would almost certainly result in scraping and damage to the spoiler. In the 991.1 cars, the transmission won’t upshift until red line in Sport Plus mode. This isn’t really a big issue for most people because they manually shift anyway, but I believe this was changed in the .2 cars.
Old 07-03-2023, 03:31 PM
the_buch
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts

I use Sport once the oil is up to temp as it runs 10 degrees cooler. I don't like the fake pops and burbles but I've had those mostly programmed out by FVD.
Old 07-03-2023, 04:19 PM
yell03
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 158 Posts

When I was stock I always drove in Sport Mode, but now that I have the Cobb Transmission tune Sport Mode (and Sport Plus) does not shift until rpms are too high, even at normal throttle.
Also, when stock, I would do launch control in Sport Plus, but I would retract the aero.
Also, Sport mode and Sport Plus raise the idle by about 200 rpms.

Now with my tune,

I drive in Normal Mode all the time, it makes the same boost and shifts normal. Plus it sounds better without the fake pops.
I use Sport if I will be manually shifting.
Sport Plus for launches and I retract auto.

I actually wish the transmission shifted as before the tune during regular cruising in Sport Mode, but I don't want to mess with the programs.
If I go in for Stage 3 or Stage 4 I will have them change Sport Mode to shift normally except for WOT.
The following users liked this post:
Beezupra (07-05-2023)
Old 07-03-2023, 11:26 PM
CodyzWorld
Burning Brakes

Received 400 Likes on 260 Posts

thanks my people, i'm learning quite a bit.

I appreciate your responses.
Old 07-04-2023, 12:27 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 845 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by yell03
When I was stock I always drove in Sport Mode, but now that I have the Cobb Transmission tune Sport Mode (and Sport Plus) does not shift until rpms are too high, even at normal throttle.
Also, when stock, I would do launch control in Sport Plus, but I would retract the aero.
Also, Sport mode and Sport Plus raise the idle by about 200 rpms.

Now with my tune,

I drive in Normal Mode all the time, it makes the same boost and shifts normal. Plus it sounds better without the fake pops.
I use Sport if I will be manually shifting.
Sport Plus for launches and I retract auto.

I actually wish the transmission shifted as before the tune during regular cruising in Sport Mode, but I don't want to mess with the programs.
If I go in for Stage 3 or Stage 4 I will have them change Sport Mode to shift normally except for WOT.
This is my experience - after Cobb PDK tune - normal is really pretty much perfect for daily driving. The shift points are higher - before normal was "Lexus" like - getting to 6th asap probably for fuel consumption. My only difference to you - I actually like Sport now for spirited and manual driving. I don't feel the need to change the shift points. The car is more alive and more reactive in sport. I don't love the pops and burbles. Maybe I can get them programmed out - but its not that much of an annoyance.
Old 07-04-2023, 02:50 PM
myfirst63356
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

There is a short but steep hill (about 0.4 miles with about 0.2 flat and the last 0.2 steep) leading into my homeowners complex. It is narrow (one car wide with curbs on each side) and has an "interesting" curve in the steep portion. Rarely, but occasionally, I try for the best mph before slamming on the brakes over a little hill leading to a stop sign. That is where I noticed a huge difference between the first 2 modes and Sport Plus. The first 2 felt a little squirrelly as I picked up speed and had to negotiate the curve in the second segment. Sport Plus was simply PLANTED; I don't know if it was the aerodynamics of the spoilers or the lowering of the chassis or even adjustments to the antiroll system (PDCC), but Sport Plus made a world of difference. If I ever track it, I will only use Sport Plus. Otherwise, the comments by others are accurate. I am especially careful to use Sport around town as it does run as much as 15 degrees cooler that Normal. And it is quicker and simply more enjoyable.
Old 07-04-2023, 04:53 PM
yell03
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by rodsky
This is my experience - after Cobb PDK tune - normal is really pretty much perfect for daily driving. The shift points are higher - before normal was "Lexus" like - getting to 6th asap probably for fuel consumption. My only difference to you - I actually like Sport now for spirited and manual driving. I don't feel the need to change the shift points. The car is more alive and more reactive in sport. I don't love the pops and burbles. Maybe I can get them programmed out - but its not that much of an annoyance.
I agree, Normal with the tune better now, kind of like the old Sport mode.
Sport is good for manual driving now after the tune, but in Auto it shifts 1-2 at 20, 2-3 at 40, 3-4 at 60, does not go to 5th until 80.
I used to use Sport on the highway, now that is not an option.

I would much rather Sport have normal shift points until WOT.
Old 07-04-2023, 04:59 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,442 Likes on 899 Posts

I’ve got an FVD tune and FVD exhaust on my car, but I still prefer sport mode. I agree that the pops and burbles from the exhaust can get a little annoying sometimes, especially with the top down. I generally don’t mind them though…

Quick Reply: Different modes