Sponsored by: Road Spy

2014-2015

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2023, 11:50 PM
porsche526
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 54 Posts
Default 2014-2015

Looking to purchase a 14 or 15…. With low miles turbo s …. What should i look for and is it a rewarding car ???
Old 07-01-2023, 12:16 AM
gyh
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche526
Looking to purchase a 14 or 15…. With low miles turbo s …. What should i look for and is it a rewarding car ???
How do you intend to use it? What's your definition of "low miles" and "rewarding"? 991 turbo probably lives up to the hype for most people commenting here, but what you want may differ. It's achingly capable at quite a few things.
Old 07-01-2023, 12:24 AM
porsche526
Racer

Just to be driven 2-3 says a week. I am not going to race it … just want a somewhat comfortable var with power . I do own now a 991.2 gt3 manual with bucket seats. I dont want the hassle anynore
Old 07-01-2023, 12:59 AM
gyh
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 20 Posts

I'll let the '14-'15 owners comment on those cars specifically but I think it's extremely rewarding for that use. Mine is a daily driver. I use it to go to work, haul my kid and bikes and run errands. In the winter I will put snows on it and take it skiing. My first few weeks with the car I thought it might have been a bit boring because it's SO GOOD at pretending to be a normal car when you drive it that way. Minimal noise, mild character, comfortable, even good (ish) fuel economy. But it's clearly not a normal car. The more I drive it, the more I became attuned to the sound of the turbos spooling up and down and all of the other little things that set it apart from the normal 991 chassis. Once you shift from driving it normally to driving it aggressively it changes with you. The best way I can describe it is utter competence - like driving in cheat mode. The rear wheel steering hides weight and the chassis feels nimble, the power is ridiculous (I'm still not used to how far it puts objects into the rear view), the suspension damping is actually very good in the real world and never feels fragile or twitchy, brakes are ample and always enough (I have irons). The noise will always be worlds apart from your GT3 but based on what you describe that might be ok (and an exhaust can help if it isn't ok). Very easy to live with, exciting if that's how you want to use it and I think in most settings you won't be leaving much (if anything) on the table capability-wise as compared to your GT3. Happy hunting!
The following 5 users liked this post by gyh:
clifforza (07-01-2023), Dennis C (07-01-2023), john45in (07-02-2023), Pb Pedis (07-05-2023), Uplandr (07-06-2023)
Old 07-01-2023, 01:17 AM
porsche526
Racer

Originally Posted by gyh
I'll let the '14-'15 owners comment on those cars specifically but I think it's extremely rewarding for that use. Mine is a daily driver. I use it to go to work, haul my kid and bikes and run errands. In the winter I will put snows on it and take it skiing. My first few weeks with the car I thought it might have been a bit boring because it's SO GOOD at pretending to be a normal car when you drive it that way. Minimal noise, mild character, comfortable, even good (ish) fuel economy. But it's clearly not a normal car. The more I drive it, the more I became attuned to the sound of the turbos spooling up and down and all of the other little things that set it apart from the normal 991 chassis. Once you shift from driving it normally to driving it aggressively it changes with you. The best way I can describe it is utter competence - like driving in cheat mode. The rear wheel steering hides weight and the chassis feels nimble, the power is ridiculous (I'm still not used to how far it puts objects into the rear view), the suspension damping is actually very good in the real world and never feels fragile or twitchy, brakes are ample and always enough (I have irons). The noise will always be worlds apart from your GT3 but based on what you describe that might be ok (and an exhaust can help if it isn't ok). Very easy to live with, exciting if that's how you want to use it and I think in most settings you won't be leaving much (if anything) on the table capability-wise as compared to your GT3. Happy hunting!
. Great explanation … you covered it all… going tomorrow to a warehouse that has a 14 and 15 …
The following users liked this post:
gyh (07-05-2023)
Old 07-01-2023, 09:37 AM
davidtcpa
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

. Great explanation … you covered it all… going tomorrow to a warehouse that has a 14 and 15 …
Good luck. Post pics.
Old 07-01-2023, 10:09 AM
Jim M.
Rennlist Member

Received 828 Likes on 433 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by gyh
I have a 2015 Turbo S and this description is exactly how Feel about my car. It does everything well! I'm at 50K miles and I simply love this car.
Miatavi (07-01-2023)
Old 07-01-2023, 01:31 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,442 Likes on 899 Posts

My 2014 Turbo S Cabriolet is the best car that I’ve ever owned, without any doubt. It does everything well. I only drive mine a few times each month and I don’t track it. It’s special every time that I drive it, even if it’s just to the grocery store.
Old 07-01-2023, 06:47 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,332 Likes on 751 Posts

I’ve had my 14TTS for going on 9 years. I have a stage 2 tune custom from Sam. Not to race just to sharpen all the edges. I have 54k miles on mine it has been flawless, a rocket when I need it to be and cruiser when my wife and I are out for dinner. Can’t beat the ease of use and how capable it is when pushed.

Last edited by Penn4S; 07-04-2023 at 02:51 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Penn4S:
DCsTTS (07-10-2023), Uplandr (07-06-2023)
Old 07-01-2023, 08:45 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,615 Likes on 1,054 Posts

Don’t rule out a non-S 991.1 Turbo. The turbos are the same as the S so benefit from ‘tunes’ is the same.

The main thing between the S and non-S is to research the S-standard equipment that was optional on the non-S(*) and what wasn’t available on the non-S(**) so that you know what you are looking at in a non-S.

There are about 2.5 times as many Ss as there are non-Ss, but the non-Ss are less sought after so they are usually non-trivially cheaper used.

From memory (*)
- Sport Chrono (I consider SC a must-have due to Overboost in Sport+ mode)
- Sport Design Steering Wheel
- PDCC
- 18-way Sport Seats+
- PCCB
- LED headlights
- Center Lock Wheels
- Full leather interior
- Sport Design sideview mirrors

(**) 40 horsepower from software only.

Old 07-02-2023, 01:53 PM
the head
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 43 Posts

When I bought my 14 non-S turbo, I had no illusions that it would remain stock. I was simply amazed at the normal everyday manners the car has. I came from a cayenne turbo (two of them- 955 and 958), and while the 911 is stiffer it is very friendly. My wife and I go on drives with the Lone Star PCA and she falls asleep almost every drive, at least for a few minutes. The car didn't lose much on the drivability as far as tuning goes but it gave it more of a racy feeling that I like, especially with the PDK tuning. Here in Houston the roads are straight and flat, so horsepower is king. I put the 991.2 S-model turbos on mine and it was a lot cheaper than buying a 991.2 turbo (there are other differences, but I haven't hit them just yet) for the power with tuning and other bolt-ons.
One con to it is the radio - it doesn't connect via wifi for anything and maps have to be updated at the dealer. No Apple carplay or Android interfaces (you can add an aftermarket module). I have the Bose system that I've upgraded with Musicar tweeters and Burmester speakers in the doors (used).
I don't know if you plan on working on the car yourself, but there are a lot of parts out there for it both used and new/aftermarket.
Despite the 991.2 platform having some advantages, I plan on keeping my 991.1 for a very long time.
And if you get the itch for a track day in the future, it does extremely well. Just be ready to drop good money on tires and maybe brakes. Steel is cheaper than ceramic by a significant amount. But in your case for the S it is one less thing the .2 would have over a .1
Old 07-02-2023, 06:42 PM
yell03
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 158 Posts

I bought my 2015 Turbo S Cabriolet in 10/2020 with 38K miles.
As of 7/2023 it has 50K miles.

For Performance I only added a 2.5" x-pipe for the 2 years of CPO warranty just to get more sound out of the car, it was too quiet even with the 2.5" x-pipe.
Now I have 3" x-pipe,100 cel cats, BMC Filter, and a Tune.
I recommend at least a 3" x-pipe and 100 cel cats for sound.
Add a tune after the warranty is over.
My car makes 543whp and does the 1/8th in 6.82@102.89 on unprepped streets in 37 degree weather with a 1.61 60' time and a 0-60 in the low 2.6s.

This is the longest I have owned any car in my life, I love it.

Miatavi (08-09-2023)
Old 07-04-2023, 12:35 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 845 Likes on 574 Posts

Just to be driven 2-3 says a week. I am not going to race it … just want a somewhat comfortable var with power . I do own now a 991.2 gt3 manual with bucket seats. I dont want the hassle anynore
I was on the search for a GT3 - when I stepped into and drove my Turbo and bought it on the spot. Your reason resonates with me - as I found the Turbo to be comfortable and very capable. Its definitely not as "exciting" as the GT3 but I drive it anywhere - and its very very capable and exciting enough. The only drawbacks - the sound is very quiet after a GT3. And I preferred the ride with the DSC module vs PASM. Can make the sound better with after market (there was no PSE in the 991 range). Its definitely not a GT3 - but that's also good for the purpose of the car.

I've now had my TT for 5 years - obviously modified it quite a bit and I still really like it. Pottering around town - its like its stock. But when you get on it - its very very quick. The next mod i am considering are adjustable springs to lower it but also not lose flexibility of the "dailyness".

Personally i'd suggest you just drive one. You will know right away if its what you're looking for. That's what happened to me.
Old 07-06-2023, 03:48 PM
Uplandr
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

I just picked up a '14 with around 56k miles last month. I'm in love with the car and have put close to 500 miles on it so far. Still feels 'new' compared to other TTS ive driven with lesser miles, .2s. 992s etc. I'm definitely a fan of CarPlay for Waze (for daily driving) but I have no plans to install an aftermarket module yet as I just play the navigation audio through the speakers. I still own my 996 c2 which is a fun weekend/back road car but I wanted something more comfortable and highway-worthy for longer trips. Also wanted the AWD for 4-season use, this was the big driving factor for me as I pains me to put the c2 in my warehouse for winter storage.

Things I looked for on my TTS:
  • PCCB condition (have them removed and weighed)...this can obviously be a pricey unforeseen replacement unless you plan to switch to steel.
  • Spoiler condition (these cars sit higher than most other p-cars so rubbing isn't a huge concern but parking lot curbs are) Doing a few searches on this forum reveals some issues we've had with the "Spoiler Loss Reduce Speed" message. Fix can be as simple as a pinched line, replacement of $1300 controller, or as drastic as replacement of the entire ~$4500 spoiler assembly
  • I'm sure you're aware based on your gt3 ownership but good service history, interval maintenance completion, and records go a long way. I bought a Fidelity warranty for mine for peace of mind for the next 3 years to let any other bugs sort themselves out before I begin to mod
In terms of rewarding....its completely refined, its rocket fast stock, it corners hard, and 110mph feels like 60mph. Only gripe is the stock exhaust is somewhat tame from the factory (easy fix once you start the mod route) I love my old 996 but this thing feels light years ahead and has that "bulletproof" sense to it. Very solid and Ive driven mine pretty hard so far (no track use yet though). I'm still brand new to the 991 platform, but hope my .02 is somewhat helpful
SConn (07-06-2023)
Old 07-06-2023, 06:53 PM
yell03
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Uplandr
I just picked up a '14 with around 56k miles last month. I'm in love with the car and have put close to 500 miles on it so far. Still feels 'new' compared to other TTS ive driven with lesser miles, .2s. 992s etc. I'm definitely a fan of CarPlay for Waze (for daily driving) but I have no plans to install an aftermarket module yet as I just play the navigation audio through the speakers. I still own my 996 c2 which is a fun weekend/back road car but I wanted something more comfortable and highway-worthy for longer trips. Also wanted the AWD for 4-season use, this was the big driving factor for me as I pains me to put the c2 in my warehouse for winter storage.

Things I looked for on my TTS:
  • PCCB condition (have them removed and weighed)...this can obviously be a pricey unforeseen replacement unless you plan to switch to steel.
  • Spoiler condition (these cars sit higher than most other p-cars so rubbing isn't a huge concern but parking lot curbs are) Doing a few searches on this forum reveals some issues we've had with the "Spoiler Loss Reduce Speed" message. Fix can be as simple as a pinched line, replacement of $1300 controller, or as drastic as replacement of the entire ~$4500 spoiler assembly
  • I'm sure you're aware based on your gt3 ownership but good service history, interval maintenance completion, and records go a long way. I bought a Fidelity warranty for mine for peace of mind for the next 3 years to let any other bugs sort themselves out before I begin to mod
In terms of rewarding....its completely refined, its rocket fast stock, it corners hard, and 110mph feels like 60mph. Only gripe is the stock exhaust is somewhat tame from the factory (easy fix once you start the mod route) I love my old 996 but this thing feels light years ahead and has that "bulletproof" sense to it. Very solid and Ive driven mine pretty hard so far (no track use yet though). I'm still brand new to the 991 platform, but hope my .02 is somewhat helpful
I have a shore home in N Wildwood NJ if you ever want to hear a 991.1 Turbo S with 3" x-pipe and 100 cel cats, stock exhaust sound is terrible.
I also have a AIM Tune which makes the car extremely fast, but not nearly as necessary as exhaust.
I also have aftermarket carplay.
Uplandr (07-07-2023)

Quick Reply: 2014-2015