Sponsored by: Road Spy

Impact of Airbag Deployment

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2023, 06:42 AM
SonofaBish
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Impact of Airbag Deployment

I've been on the hunt for a 991 Turbo S for some time now. Generally speaking, if i find the color combo that i want, I'm willing to overlook items like mileage or even some minor missing options, as long as the price is commensurate for these items. I've found what is the perfect combo for me in a 2014 Turbo S with 40K miles... the car also has some mild aftermarket modifications (exhaust, tune) which is exactly what I want.

Now, to the downside - it has no damage on the AutoCheck, but Carfax denotes an accident with airbag deployment over 4 years ago. Owner swears it was a minor accident, and was able to supply pics. Front bumper, headlight, radiator were replaced with all new OEM parts, not cheap parts. I've also gotten reports from another shop (extremely reputable, but i'll keep them anonymous) that has worked on the car to say that you'd never know it was in an accident.

I'm aware that it impacts value - but how much? Average retail for a car like this is around $120K right now... so, does this accident knock 10% off the value? i turn over cars every 2-3 years, and I know that these forums can sometimes be overly dramatic, so its not the 35% of a salvage title car... but being realistic, what's an appropriate diminished value on something like this? Is it less impactful if i sell in 3 years and the accident was 7 years prior?

Last edited by SonofaBish; 05-24-2023 at 06:44 AM.
Old 05-24-2023, 04:26 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 180 Likes on 120 Posts

This is a highly subjective matter so be prepared to take a bath when it comes to selling it because folks with that much money to spend might not be as forgiving as you.
To most people it won''t matter how long ago the accident was (3, 7 or 10 years ago).
The fact that the airbags were deployed means that it wasn't that minor.

Some Porsche owners are so obsessive that a respray due to a stone chip is enough to make them think twice.
What % is it being discounted compared to an accident-free specimen?
What do the folks in the Turbo forum have to say?
The following users liked this post:
Cur (05-26-2023)
Old 05-24-2023, 04:40 PM
SonofaBish
Instructor

Originally Posted by duxsi
This is a highly subjective matter so be prepared to take a bath when it comes to selling it because folks with that much money to spend might not be as forgiving as you.
To most people it won''t matter how long ago the accident was (3, 7 or 10 years ago).
The fact that the airbags were deployed means that it wasn't that minor.

Some Porsche owners are so obsessive that a respray due to a stone chip is enough to make them think twice.
What % is it being discounted compared to an accident-free specimen?
What do the folks in the Turbo forum have to say?
I'd say I can get it for 15% under clean carfax.....

All fair points.... I didn't post in the turbo forum. Guess I didn't pay enough attention to see there was a different one for them

Mods, can i have this moved instead of making a new thread?

Last edited by SonofaBish; 05-24-2023 at 04:42 PM.
Old 05-24-2023, 05:13 PM
WP0
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 156 Posts

Yeah, I would consider airbags deployed as major, near salvage price.
I've personally been in about 6 car accidents, some moderate, and never had airbags deploy.

Last edited by WP0; 05-24-2023 at 05:54 PM.
Old 05-24-2023, 05:53 PM
NHmacan
Racer

Received 212 Likes on 134 Posts

I personally would stay away not because I’m afraid of the damage, but I would not want to deal with people lowballing when I go to sell.
The following 2 users liked this post by NHmacan:
Highline-Autos.com (05-24-2023), LAT (05-25-2023)
Old 05-24-2023, 05:59 PM
Highline-Autos.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 484 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by NHmacan
I personally would stay away not because I’m afraid of the damage, but I would not want to deal with people lowballing when I go to sell.
Exactly!

Official RECARO Automotive Retailer: www.highline-autos.com/product-category/recaro/

Highline Autos Magazine - Volume XXI, Issue 03 https://bit.ly/3wTsNzM

Old 05-24-2023, 06:46 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,330 Likes on 750 Posts

If you feel very comfortable with the car and it a long time keeper and you can get it at the price you can afford, then go for it.
If you are buying with the intention of stepping up in a a few years just be prepared for a lot of buyers to walk due to an accident with enough front end force to deploy the airbags that will be a big no for many buyers.

So if you are keeping it, go, if you plan a not to distant future sale then buy it for less or pass. Just my opinion.
Cur (05-26-2023)
Old 05-24-2023, 08:51 PM
SonofaBish
Instructor

Originally Posted by WP0
Yeah, I would consider airbags deployed as major, near salvage price.
I've personally been in about 6 car accidents, some moderate, and never had airbags deploy.
i've got pics of the car at the scene of the accident - genuinely it wasn't bad.
Old 05-24-2023, 08:54 PM
SonofaBish
Instructor

Originally Posted by Penn4S
If you feel very comfortable with the car and it a long time keeper and you can get it at the price you can afford, then go for it.
If you are buying with the intention of stepping up in a a few years just be prepared for a lot of buyers to walk due to an accident with enough front end force to deploy the airbags that will be a big no for many buyers.

So if you are keeping it, go, if you plan a not to distant future sale then buy it for less or pass. Just my opinion.
yeah, i can connect with this.... i have historically swapped cars every 3 years or so... but i would love to find one that i keep long term - i have no idea when that one is going to come along.... i genuinely hope its a 911, but a C8-Z06 could sway me down the road, if the prices ever come out of the stratosphere.
Old 05-25-2023, 09:01 PM
K996
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by SonofaBish
i've got pics of the car at the scene of the accident - genuinely it wasn't bad.
My fam were small timers in the rebuilt/salvage auto business and I've had plenty of cars/trucks/bikes/rv with a salvage title (which I understand isn't the case here) so I'm not at all opposed to driving these anywhere and if you know the damage, know what was fixed and don't mind keeping it forever then it doesn't matter.
Frankly I used to love shopping at copart/sadisco/iaai back when you could spend all day just walking around the lot and checking stuff out and nobody batted an eye.

That said, when looking at 911's or any other expensive vehicle, I personally dont want to deal with ANY accident history, salvage, salt environment or anything the least bit janky about the deal because from what I've seen you really don't have to (ie, there's enough undamaged cars out there at a variety of prices to keep shopping for the best deal) and to me the savings just isn't worth it on a purchase like that. ESPECIALLY if you're into trading cars around every couple of years.....and for only 10-15% under a clean title? on a 115k vehicle? man I wouldn't even bother clicking on the ad.
But that's just my take, if you're okay with the damage, feel it was repaired well and dont mind dealing with it when it comes up in the future (and it will come up) then just enjoy the savings. If the car is otherwise great and pristine then yeah I'd maybe rather have something like that vs a car that was driven in the NE or a midwest salt-state.

Also, there's a lot of 991 TT/TTS inventory thats been sitting around a while so I think you may find some deals and people willing to work on pricing just based on what I've seen.
The following 4 users liked this post by K996:
Beezupra (05-26-2023), Cur (05-26-2023), SonofaBish (05-25-2023), worf928 (05-26-2023)
Old 05-25-2023, 10:47 PM
SonofaBish
Instructor

Thanks - - very much appreciate the opinions... been playing devil's advocate for 1.5 weeks with myself on this one... going each direction

Let me add that - while this probably doesn't change anyone's opinion - i've been a little less that fully forthcoming with the details of the car ... i have no idea of the owner of this car is on the forum, so i'm attempting to mask the details a bit .... right or wrong of me, there's a little more to the story...

the car is actually pretty heavily modified, which i know isn't for everyone, but it is def up my alley... the nice part is that i know the history of the car... the current owner is the one who did all the mods (and was the accident victim)... and it was all done at a very reputable shop (on this forum and elsewhere)... i had one other 991.2 that i was interested in, with similar heavy modifications, but the dealer couldn't turn up any documentation of who or when the mods were done - - and that scares me far more than a car with an accident.

and to be more precise - i've been looking at it this way ..... i'm getting the car for a 20% discount, and paying $0.20 on the dollar for the modifications... maybe i'm being foolish, but that doesn't feel all that bad.... i've bought and sold a lot of modified cars, and around 20% of the mods value was a rule of thumb ..

I don't have unlimited budget - and on mine, i can either go with
1.) less than perfect carfax, but exactly what i want; possibly a keeper
2.) not what i want, but clean carfax, and definitely sell in 3 years, or
3.) save my money.....

can never go wrong with #3...
Old 05-25-2023, 11:42 PM
charlierogers
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

just todayi purchased a 991.2 turbo s cab. i have been searching 2 years for the right car at the right price i could afford. let me tell you i have found the right car and right price. but looking back and reflecting i did see at least 4-5 cars i would of been happy with and i should of just bought one of those 2 years ago!!! started looking at just 997 turbos. then decided i had to have a 997.2 dfi, then was worried about the 997 being to old and having problems. then decided i should spend more money {out of my comfort range} and get into a 991 lol. went from looking at spending 95k to 170k . i am not rich by any means just a regular 55 year old guy. now i have to sell a couple old cars i have to make this doable. but i think it all worth it! you know the history and your getting free mods that you would have to struggle to pay for with a stock car.. best of luck.
charlie
SonofaBish (05-26-2023)
Old 05-26-2023, 12:27 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,047 Posts

You never know how good the work is until you take it apart.

When I did the PPI on my wife’s 991S I saw that one wheel well liner wasn’t tucked properly, so I pulled the front apron to look for unrepaired bits.

I trust body shops as far as I can throw them.
SonofaBish (05-26-2023)

Quick Reply: Impact of Airbag Deployment