Sponsored by: Road Spy

Buy the CPO +1, is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2023, 03:56 PM
K996
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Buy the CPO +1, is it worth it?

On Friday I intend to pickup a 2014 CPO car (transferable 2yr warranty) and they've presented the option at time of purchase to add +1 year for $3k that is also fully refundable prior to the 3yr warranty kicking in.

I know things can add up pretty quickly if they go wrong, particularly on an older, fairly expensive cars so I'm just curious what most folks would do here. I'm already paying a little more because it's a CPO and 3k isnt crazy but just curious what group thoughts are on the relative value.
Thanks!
Old 05-03-2023, 10:22 PM
yell03
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by K996
On Friday I intend to pickup a 2014 CPO car (transferable 2yr warranty) and they've presented the option at time of purchase to add +1 year for $3k that is also fully refundable prior to the 3yr warranty kicking in.

I know things can add up pretty quickly if they go wrong, particularly on an older, fairly expensive cars so I'm just curious what most folks would do here. I'm already paying a little more because it's a CPO and 3k isnt crazy but just curious what group thoughts are on the relative value.
Thanks!
I bought my 2015 in 10/2020 with the 2 year CPO.
I did not want a 3rd year because I knew I wanted to mod the car.
Two years gave me the coverage I needed to make sure the car had no problems.
They actually replaced a Turbo, they did not want to chase down the boost leak.
If you are not going to mod go for the 3rd year, but my bet is you will at least want hi flo cats and a 3" x-pipe to make the car sound good.
At that point you will want a tune.
How I waited two years I don't know.
Old 05-03-2023, 11:05 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 448 Likes on 306 Posts

My loaded 2017 911 Turbo warranty expired b4 I bought it with 13.7k miles on it at 4-1/2 years old. I dug around and found a highly rated company offering a $100 deductible bumper to bumper warranty for 4 more years and 48k miles total. Cost me a little over $3200. After 1.5 years, no claims. So $3k for one more year sounds expensive to me.
Old 05-04-2023, 12:37 AM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,468 Likes on 629 Posts

$3k for one year is crazy. What are the odds you'll run up $3k in repair costs in a single year, not just any year over the life of the car but that specific year? Think about it, if you were to follow that strategy for five years it would be 15 grand (and it's no less likely to break in the four years after the first one). No one would even consider that.

One of the reasons these cars are expensive to maintain is that people take them to dealerships with $250/hour labor rates that throw overpriced parts at the car rather than truly try and figure out the problem. In my last eleven years of 911 ownership (two cars out of warranty including one turbo) I've not spent three grand the entire time on repairs. Plenty on tires but not repairs. Though I DIY almost everything, am extremely cautious about troubleshooting, and never pay dealer list price for parts.

As to it being refundable, I assume that means they want you to pay now then you'll get your money back two years later if you decide you don't want it (without interest of course). That also sounds like a bad deal to me as you're giving Porsche a free loan to the tune of a couple of hundred in lost interest. Hard pass IMO.

Last edited by PV997; 05-04-2023 at 12:43 AM.
Old 05-04-2023, 12:56 AM
armanslr
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 122 Posts

How many miles on the car? I got a 6 year fidelity warranty for my TTS for 3K when it was sub 10k miles, check with @SteingoldVolvoCars on their online portal https://steingoldvolvocars.factorypr...ine-quote.html

Used it for my Cayenne TGT as well, 10 year 100k mile warranty was ~3600 when new, no brainer for me.
The following users liked this post:
SteingoldVolvoCars (05-04-2023)
Old 05-04-2023, 10:10 PM
K996
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Thanks for the input guys, sincerely appreciated.
Personally I thought it sounded like a lot relative to the value, but the fact that it was refundable up until inception date was tempting me. I've already got a few things that need to be done (ppf for example) that makes the additional outlay undesirable right now so it's good to know that future options do exist.
I mean (knock on wood), I've been extremely pleased with the overall reliability, maintenance and repair costs on my much-maligned 996 C2 I've had for the last 23 yrs and 110k but as the 991 turbo s is a completely different level of potential expense which is why I'm asking here.

I agree with the poster saying that it does feel like the next 2 yrs will hopefully give me an idea of the cars reliability... I mean in my health care I go for the high-deductible, catastrophic plan because I feel like I can control most of my risk but it's good to hear (PCA1983 post) that there are some legitimate/non-scammy options if I decide to go that way later.

Thanks y'all, really appreciate the considered and personalized response to what is a very common question.

All the best!

Last edited by K996; 05-04-2023 at 10:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Buy the CPO +1, is it worth it?