Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Gt2rs Innercoolers plus IC sprayers for the track?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2023, 08:28 AM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,499 Likes on 805 Posts
Default Gt2rs Innercoolers plus IC sprayers for the track?

I plan to track my 991.1 turbo. Is it worth the hassle of installing gt2rs innercoolers and the ic sprayers or do you recommend a different avenue? I know methanol helps as well but don't want to go that avenue unless needed. I plan to install non vtg turbos. Thanks.
Old 02-24-2023, 10:15 AM
onfireTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,120 Likes on 865 Posts

Non’s scream for a DO88 intercooler kit from @SamboTT@ByDesign

I really like the OEM quality of DO88, bigger than GT2RS and you can easily add a spray bar system, if needed, after you test them at the track. I would test first. A proper tune and DO88 might not need sprays.
Old 02-24-2023, 10:21 AM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,499 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by onfireTTS
Non’s scream for a DO88 intercooler kit from @SamboTT@ByDesign

I really like the OEM quality of DO88, bigger than GT2RS and you can easily add a spray bar system, if needed, after you test them at the track. I would test first. A proper tune and DO88 might not need sprays.
Thanks. From the info I read it appears the thicker cores only shine on the street/roll racing and not on a road course. I was thinking of just mimicking Porsche engineering as they set the bar with their GT2RS setup on track.
The following users liked this post:
KONG991TT (02-24-2023)
Old 02-24-2023, 11:43 AM
onfireTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,120 Likes on 865 Posts

Originally Posted by flsupraguy
Thanks. From the info I read it appears the thicker cores only shine on the street/roll racing and not on a road course. I was thinking of just mimicking Porsche engineering as they set the bar with their GT2RS setup on track.
Depending on the core design, you can still go thicker and recover well. Sparta definitely work. I use them on the street because it was so easy to set up.

Sam has tuned a lot of track cars and can guide you on the proper core.

Im impressed how quickly the DO88 recovers on a 130mph blast with just street airflow. I rarely use my sprays now. Needed them on OEM 991.2 cores
Old 02-24-2023, 11:47 AM
Pb Pedis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,041 Likes on 658 Posts

I've heard of some people connecting the intercooler spray to the headlight wash button on one of the steering wheel stalks. Seems like a good idea, but would be more slick if it was somehow automatically activated at WOT.
Old 02-24-2023, 01:24 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 978 Likes on 593 Posts

There are several intercooler options with different designs that can shine brighter in different circumstances like the track for example. The GT2RS and intercoolers and plumbing are very different so you wouldn’t be able to swap those over but you can install sprayers. Also, a lot of it has to do with the set up and Tuning. It all goes together so a consultation is highly recommended. If you’d like to reach out, I would be happy to help out.

Proud TOP Porsche Distributor For:

Kline-Innovation - ams Performance - TiALSPORT/XONA - #1 COBB PRO TUNER - CSF - IPD Plenums - DO88 - dodsonmotorsport

310-600-1850 - sam@bydesignauto.com

Last edited by SamboTT@ByDesign; 02-24-2023 at 01:25 PM.
Old 02-24-2023, 01:37 PM
KONG991TT
Rennlist Member

Received 333 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by flsupraguy
1) I SIMPLY LOVE hearing about Turbo's being on the track. Thoroughbreds belong at Churchill Downs, not grazing in the backyard, at cars and coffee or being driveway jewelry.
2) I'm with you on mimicking the 2RS setup. IAT and EGT are the 2 important areas to focus on for track. I've heard that some back pressure is good so the turbines don't spin too quickly?
3) I had Sam back down the torque as much as he reasonably could have when I went with the bigger turbos (I had a turbo fail on me and went with Sam's upgrade instead of OEM).
4) For track duty, you don't really want a lot of boost as it leads to spikes in midrange torque which disrupts the balance of the car and pushes the PDK pretty hard (even Porsche capped the torque on the 2RS to 550lbs/ft). Boost also brings up the temps, something I'd imagine would be a problem in the hot and humid south. Bigger turbos running less boost should mean better efficiency and less heat while still making power.
5) Sam will help you smooth it out for track duty - he's been awesome in helping me manage temps with the new setup as my TT is primarily a track car.
The following users liked this post:
Bluemax2 (02-24-2023)

Quick Reply: Gt2rs Innercoolers plus IC sprayers for the track?