42THFLR
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Nooooooo, not the shift ***!!!!!
Old 01-10-2023, 10:07 AM
KONG991TT
Rennlist Member

Received 324 Likes on 170 Posts

Excellent! Glad you're on the path to putting things behind you. I've said it before and I'll say it again, when it comes to knowledge, experience and service, Sam's Second to none.
Old 01-10-2023, 10:43 AM
42THFLR
Rennlist Member

Thank you. Yes, he has been a real savior throughout this process, on top of being an integral part of why I love this car so much, obviously, having enjoyed the stages leading up to this. We all know that he is much more than just a vendor. Now, I am trying to line up the last ducks on my end, to bring it on home and start posting some numbers!
Old 01-10-2023, 11:43 AM
Ttz06vette
Rennlist Member

Received 220 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
Can’t wait for your car to get buttoned up Doc! Erik is pumping away make sure he takes pictures for you! Tell him if he doesn’t. I’m going to talk to Mike about that shift **** lol he will now.
In for pics of the build!
Old 06-16-2023, 07:44 PM
42THFLR
Rennlist Member

Good things come to those who wait.
It has been about a year in total that my car was out with John at Evo-spec. Back in March, after about 9 months, my car came home, but unfortunately only for a week. I ran the car, got a Dragy and logs and sent them to Sam as usual. Although I ran a 9.6, which was faster than before, Sam knew right away that the tranny was shifting sluggishly, and certainly not like it should have after having the Dodson clutch installed, etc. He suspected some gunk in the valve body and like the consummate pro that he is, insisted that he ship it back to John and get it sorted out. WTF, lol? But I trust Sam, which is hard to come by these days, and agreed that it needed to happen, so off it went for what was supposed to be just a few more weeks. This turned into 3 more months. For some context, as with all businesses that specialize in niche markets, John Bray and his crew at Evo-spec were jamming, and as with every other material out there, product was moving like molasses and life was happening as well, throwing in its share of delays. It is also important for us to keep in mind the complexities of what he does, the logistical challenges and the stresses that all the constantly moving timelines must bring to his kind of shop. But as they say, good things happen to those who wait. They went through the valve body and solenoids, as well as the entire trans and clutch to be sure they were all solid. As soon as they could squeeze her onto the dino, they started the tuning process and Sam noticed that the methanol system was getting a little tired, and so he offered to replace and refresh everything. These things don’t replace themselves, and we knew that it would add a little more time, but again, he wanted this thing buttoned up tight, before sending it home. So back on the dino it went for some more tuning. In fact, Sam and John tuned her into the night, in order to catch her scheduled ride back the following morning. Check out those curves.

Back on a transport she went.
My car finally arrived Tuesday night, via a really nice couple and their dog, which always helps to enhance the experience. I am amazed at the acrobatics that these folks pull off in their transporters, when loading and unloading and I truly appreciate the level of care that these folks showed. Once on solid ground, despite wanting to go tear up the town, I put her away for the night. But boy was she purring.

The next night was my chance to take her out. Oh baby! My first run was a 9.3 in the 1/4. 60-130 in 4.3 and all of this on 38 psi all around, ha ha. My TPMS didn’t load up when I was out, so I checked when I got home to verify. Not bad for driving on balloons, huh? For a stock ECU, I am extremely satisfied with my car, that I could do this on a non-prepped surface for my first shot out. Sam confirmed it. Also, this was on 50/50 93 and 109. Needless to say, with tire pressure back down to 25, a full tank of race fuel, my new antigravity battery installed and perhaps another point on the boost controller, I could be looking at 9.1!!!

Anyone who knows what this feels like in these cars will attest that it is an intense experience and wow, quite the car. Sam has tuned this thing so well. Although it roars more like a race car, in all the ways you would want a street car to feel, she feels safe, super smooth, had very little wheel spin (considering) and pulls like a rocket. And oh does she wail when up in the revs with his new billet manifold and 76mm Kline setup. Many have teetered on the fence between Turbos and GT3’s because the Turbo doesn’t have the same aural experience as the latter. Let me tell you, THIS SETUP ROCKS! There are a few electronic things that have to be sorted out, most of which are being caused by a battery that has sat for too long, but I am ready with my new Antigravity H6 40 amp battery. Additionally, my DSC sport unit was fried somehow in the process, possibly from having to be jumped due to that tired battery, but Sam has been in contacted with Mike, Tom and crew at TPC/DSC and they have that fixed up and ready to roll. Thank you TPC/DSC sport! Way to stand behind your product!

Throughout all the time not having my car, a big worry of mine, aside from family of course, was that with all of the crazy stuff going on in the world, that something grave would happen and I would never get her back and have this experience. Definitely “Car Madness”. But It is amazing how after all of the wait, worry and anxiety, it all just evaporated after 9 seconds. I am excited to get the new battery in, the pressures down and give her another shot on 100% MS109.
Old 06-16-2023, 08:06 PM
Ttz06vette
Rennlist Member

Received 220 Likes on 147 Posts

Great thread
The following users liked this post:
42THFLR (06-16-2023)
Old 06-16-2023, 08:22 PM
onfireTTS
Drifting

Received 1,094 Likes on 844 Posts

Congrats ! Crazy high mph on those runs. Hp rules !
Old 06-16-2023, 09:46 PM
42THFLR
Rennlist Member

Thank you! And It sure does!
Old 06-16-2023, 10:24 PM
42THFLR
Rennlist Member

MPH Rising!
NightBlueTTS (06-19-2023)
Old 06-17-2023, 11:35 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 925 Likes on 565 Posts

My pleasure buddy! You deserve everything I was able to do for ya! Really happy with the results for the first couple of tries for sure. Enjoy it

Proud TOP Porsche Distributor For:

Kline-Innovation - ams Performance - TiALSPORT/XONA - #1 COBB PRO TUNER - CSF - IPD Plenums - DO88 - dodsonmotorsport

310-600-1850 - sam@bydesignauto.com
The following 2 users liked this post by SamboTT@ByDesign:
K996 (06-18-2023), RadarP3C (06-18-2023)
Old 06-18-2023, 10:51 PM
bigrpowr
Rennlist Member

Received 332 Likes on 229 Posts

that is awesome! congrats!
42THFLR (06-22-2023)
Old 06-19-2023, 11:25 AM
42THFLR
Rennlist Member

Thank you. Your car's progress was really fun to watch.
Old 06-20-2023, 08:11 PM
mdvigil
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Nice! Sam is the man! Another built XR ready to roll!

Enjoy the heck out of it.
42THFLR (06-22-2023)
Old 06-20-2023, 10:36 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,445 Likes on 781 Posts

Originally Posted by 42THFLR
Good things come to those who wait.
It has been about a year in total that my car was out with John at Evo-spec. Back in March, after about 9 months, my car came home, but unfortunately only for a week. I ran the car, got a Dragy and logs and sent them to Sam as usual. Although I ran a 9.6, which was faster than before, Sam knew right away that the tranny was shifting sluggishly, and certainly not like it should have after having the Dodson clutch installed, etc. He suspected some gunk in the valve body and like the consummate pro that he is, insisted that he ship it back to John and get it sorted out. WTF, lol? But I trust Sam, which is hard to come by these days, and agreed that it needed to happen, so off it went for what was supposed to be just a few more weeks. This turned into 3 more months. For some context, as with all businesses that specialize in niche markets, John Bray and his crew at Evo-spec were jamming, and as with every other material out there, product was moving like molasses and life was happening as well, throwing in its share of delays. It is also important for us to keep in mind the complexities of what he does, the logistical challenges and the stresses that all the constantly moving timelines must bring to his kind of shop. But as they say, good things happen to those who wait. They went through the valve body and solenoids, as well as the entire trans and clutch to be sure they were all solid. As soon as they could squeeze her onto the dino, they started the tuning process and Sam noticed that the methanol system was getting a little tired, and so he offered to replace and refresh everything. These things don’t replace themselves, and we knew that it would add a little more time, but again, he wanted this thing buttoned up tight, before sending it home. So back on the dino it went for some more tuning. In fact, Sam and John tuned her into the night, in order to catch her scheduled ride back the following morning. Check out those curves.

Back on a transport she went.
My car finally arrived Tuesday night, via a really nice couple and their dog, which always helps to enhance the experience. I am amazed at the acrobatics that these folks pull off in their transporters, when loading and unloading and I truly appreciate the level of care that these folks showed. Once on solid ground, despite wanting to go tear up the town, I put her away for the night. But boy was she purring.

The next night was my chance to take her out. Oh baby! My first run was a 9.3 in the 1/4. 60-130 in 4.3 and all of this on 38 psi all around, ha ha. My TPMS didn’t load up when I was out, so I checked when I got home to verify. Not bad for driving on balloons, huh? For a stock ECU, I am extremely satisfied with my car, that I could do this on a non-prepped surface for my first shot out. Sam confirmed it. Also, this was on 50/50 93 and 109. Needless to say, with tire pressure back down to 25, a full tank of race fuel, my new antigravity battery installed and perhaps another point on the boost controller, I could be looking at 9.1!!!

Anyone who knows what this feels like in these cars will attest that it is an intense experience and wow, quite the car. Sam has tuned this thing so well. Although it roars more like a race car, in all the ways you would want a street car to feel, she feels safe, super smooth, had very little wheel spin (considering) and pulls like a rocket. And oh does she wail when up in the revs with his new billet manifold and 76mm Kline setup. Many have teetered on the fence between Turbos and GT3’s because the Turbo doesn’t have the same aural experience as the latter. Let me tell you, THIS SETUP ROCKS! There are a few electronic things that have to be sorted out, most of which are being caused by a battery that has sat for too long, but I am ready with my new Antigravity H6 40 amp battery. Additionally, my DSC sport unit was fried somehow in the process, possibly from having to be jumped due to that tired battery, but Sam has been in contacted with Mike, Tom and crew at TPC/DSC and they have that fixed up and ready to roll. Thank you TPC/DSC sport! Way to stand behind your product!

Throughout all the time not having my car, a big worry of mine, aside from family of course, was that with all of the crazy stuff going on in the world, that something grave would happen and I would never get her back and have this experience. Definitely “Car Madness”. But It is amazing how after all of the wait, worry and anxiety, it all just evaporated after 9 seconds. I am excited to get the new battery in, the pressures down and give her another shot on 100% MS109.
John at Evo takes forever..............
Old 06-20-2023, 11:42 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 925 Likes on 565 Posts

Most engine builds and big projects take a long time you just don’t hear that part. In fact, a lot of these really fast cars go through more gearboxes and motors than people realize. Or they live at the shop for one or two years. We now have 5 motors in our core program, which really helps turn things around quickly. Took a long time and a large investment to sort that out and it’s a huge help. So that’s a good thing but most importantly we stick by our guys and make sure it’s all worth it with full support..
The following 3 users liked this post by SamboTT@ByDesign:
42THFLR (06-22-2023), onfireTTS (06-21-2023), RadarP3C (06-21-2023)

Quick Reply: My Journey to XR and Beyond