Sponsored by: Road Spy

991.2 Methanol Install (PHOTO HEAVY)

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2022, 11:28 AM
D1al911
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by vman932
FYI, this is not the tank I got from Sam. The tank I received with my meth kit was the larger one with the red cap which I believe to be of higher quality. I bought this smaller tank on my own as the other was too large for what I was wanting to do with my install.
Phew, glad to hear, thank you.

Originally Posted by Kyrosnick
If I could get that gauge pod I would probably strongly consider meth, just no good way to install the controller out of site. Maybe in the glove box. If I did it, would go to local fab shop here in Phoenix (CPR) and have them just do a custom tank. They do them all the time.
I am 3D printing a holder one that will go in the driver foot well by the knee, will let you know how that goes. Week after thanksgiving is install week.
The following users liked this post:
good2bgreek (11-21-2022)
Old 11-21-2022, 12:29 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 978 Likes on 593 Posts

Hi guys,

unfortunately, this is an issue we have seen with pretty much all of the locking style caps. Depending on usage and climate, it can be more of an issue in some cars than others. Whether it’s the red one or the black one or any of the different companies I’m pretty sure most all come from the same place. It’s a little frustrating to have anyone say they’ve never heard of it before. The good thing is it’s pretty easy to clearance it and avoid this issue. I have a picture attached below of what you can do to prevent the hassle of it sometimes been really difficult to open. if you play with it, you can see where it binds and you can give it a little clearance. Clean very well and reinstall. I’m always available if I can help anybody with the installation process as well.

In regards to the pods, they are very nice and John is definitely a cool guy. I did try to convince him to figure something out and if I hear anything on my end, I will try to post about it as well. Personally, I’ve always been happy. Just replacing the Chrono because it is a nice controller and very functional. Looks good in there in my opinion and you’re not losing much getting rid of the Chrono. Although, people can also put them in the glove box

Proud TOP Porsche Distributor For:

Kline-Innovation - ams Performance - TiALSPORT/XONA - #1 COBB PRO TUNER - CSF - IPD Plenums - DO88 - dodsonmotorsport

310-600-1850 - sam@bydesignauto.com

Last edited by SamboTT@ByDesign; 11-21-2022 at 12:32 PM.
Old 11-21-2022, 04:45 PM
Ttz06vette
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 154 Posts

On top of things as usual Sam!
Would the BMS tank be compatible with your kit?

Old 11-21-2022, 04:49 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

That’s a nice tank/set up as well. I’ve had it in a couple of cars. It really makes no difference. Just depends what works for you on positioning and convenience. The main thing is we just want to pick up to be pointing towards the rear of the car cylinder acceleration, all the baffles work correctly and you get all the methanol. Never sideways or backwards you know? And then it’s personal preference on what tank and how it fits in there
Old 11-21-2022, 05:44 PM
good2bgreek
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for weighing in Sam. That’s essentially what I did. I recess it back a little bit to try and make it clear and I think it should be good. I think the gauge looks good in the sport chrono location as well but sometimes I just feel like nerding out a little bit just because 🤓

Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
Hi guys,

unfortunately, this is an issue we have seen with pretty much all of the locking style caps. Depending on usage and climate, it can be more of an issue in some cars than others. Whether it’s the red one or the black one or any of the different companies I’m pretty sure most all come from the same place. It’s a little frustrating to have anyone say they’ve never heard of it before. The good thing is it’s pretty easy to clearance it and avoid this issue. I have a picture attached below of what you can do to prevent the hassle of it sometimes been really difficult to open. if you play with it, you can see where it binds and you can give it a little clearance. Clean very well and reinstall. I’m always available if I can help anybody with the installation process as well.

In regards to the pods, they are very nice and John is definitely a cool guy. I did try to convince him to figure something out and if I hear anything on my end, I will try to post about it as well. Personally, I’ve always been happy. Just replacing the Chrono because it is a nice controller and very functional. Looks good in there in my opinion and you’re not losing much getting rid of the Chrono. Although, people can also put them in the glove box

Old 11-21-2022, 05:53 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Cheers
Payam works really hard on all of the stuff. Those guys put out. If I didn’t have everything already set up, probably would’ve had them make some of our components. We do like the snow controller a lot.
Old 11-21-2022, 07:32 PM
Kyrosnick
Racer

Received 125 Likes on 77 Posts

https://www.alkycontrol.com/shop/2-gallon-vortech-tank

Could be an option, and has a nice billet/metal cap and options for caps. Local shop uses these alot and builds custom ones as well all aluminum with threaded metal tops.
Old 11-21-2022, 08:25 PM
Ttz06vette
Rennlist Member

https://www.alkycontrol.com/shop/2-gallon-vortech-tank

Could be an option, and has a nice billet/metal cap and options for caps. Local shop uses these alot and builds custom ones as well all aluminum with threaded metal tops.
Yeah, Julio’s stuff is good. The only difference is the pump isn’t integrated in the tank design.

Last edited by Ttz06vette; 11-21-2022 at 08:59 PM.
Old 11-21-2022, 08:41 PM
Kyrosnick
Racer

Received 125 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Ttz06vette
Yeah, Julio’s stuff is good. The only difference is the pimp isn’t integrated in the tank design.
True, the pimp usually drives the car.

Just pointing out a tank with a cap that wont have that issue. Already in talks with local shop to see about what they can do for a custom 991 frunk meth setup.
Old 11-21-2022, 08:42 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I think the pump for being integrated is a really big deal for many reasons. For one, there’s a proper some and direction to use it, and adds to the reliability when guys are out there doing their thing. Also, it ensures proper placement of the pump and the lines so you don’t have situations where you could take an air or air pockets. It’s Cleaner, more tidy, and you can even make it removable.

Dial911 he’s going to have a cool set up that will have a quick disconnect and be removable. I’ll be working with his shop on some of the details but it’s just another added benefit. If you’re a family man I need to have the option of a fully available frunk
Old 11-21-2022, 08:58 PM
Ttz06vette
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
I think the pump for being integrated is a really big deal for many reasons. For one, there’s a proper some and direction to use it, and adds to the reliability when guys are out there doing their thing. Also, it ensures proper placement of the pump and the lines so you don’t have situations where you could take an air or air pockets. It’s Cleaner, more tidy, and you can even make it removable.

Dial911 he’s going to have a cool set up that will have a quick disconnect and be removable. I’ll be working with his shop on some of the details but it’s just another added benefit. If you’re a family man I need to have the option of a fully available frunk

That would be cool.
Old 11-21-2022, 09:00 PM
Ttz06vette
Rennlist Member

True, the pimp usually drives the car.

Just pointing out a tank with a cap that wont have that issue. Already in talks with local shop to see about what they can do for a custom 991 frunk meth setup.
Spell check is scary sometimes…
Old 11-21-2022, 09:52 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Ha ha I’m guilty of Siri mistakes all the time and several in this thread.

“Turtle ***”

beat that!
Old 11-22-2022, 12:51 AM
Payam
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Our tanks have been thoroughly tested to work on high lateral Gs and has baffles to prevent starvation and the pump is located at the bottom where it should be. These pumps do not produce vacuum and are fed by gravity. They should always be at the bottom of the tank. Also, that venting problem is real, that's why we developed our special cap with a check valve that cracks at 1/3psi to pull air in when the methanol is being used .So you don't have those weird problems with the tank deforming, and don't need to worry about methanol leaking from the top as we have an O ring seal

The following 3 users liked this post by Payam:
Beezupra (11-22-2022), good2bgreek (11-22-2022), Miatavi (07-20-2023)
Old 11-22-2022, 11:44 AM
Ttz06vette
Rennlist Member

Has anyone tried the Aquamist tanks? Was wondering if their narrow design would allow mounting on the frame or body under the fender inserts somewhere closer to the engine. Obviously you would not want it near the cats or turbos due to heat. Even in the Frunk it looks like you could mount it in such a way as to maintain storage. Any downside to their design?

The following users liked this post:
Miatavi (07-20-2023)

Quick Reply: 991.2 Methanol Install (PHOTO HEAVY)