Sponsored by: Road Spy

991.1 Turbo S PSM question

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2022, 10:25 AM
abrahamjones
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 991.1 Turbo S PSM question

Hello everyone, I recently bought a 2013 991.1 Turbo S but I have a question regarding the PSM.

I know that PSM lets you to be more free for oversteering when you are in Sport Plus mode. But Sport Plus mode is less usable during normal cruising except you are in manual (PDK). I believe you are able to only tune PSM with second generations (991.2). Is there a way I can achieve this with my 991.1?

Summary for what I am trying to achieve:
PSM: Sport Plus (Less support)
PASM: Normal/Sport
Engine/Transmission: Sport
Old 09-24-2023, 02:42 AM
TurboSlipNot
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Also curious about this - my '19 TTRS is a bit more individualized in allowing the driver to define suspension, transmission, and engine runtime parameters. Seems odd that a 911TS only 3 years older would not permit this.
Old 09-24-2023, 12:00 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 900 Posts

The 991.1 cars will hold the chosen gear until red line in Sport Plus mode, so most people shift manually if they’re using Sport Plus. The front and rear spoilers fully extend in Sport Plus mode also, which isn’t always ideal for the street. As a result, I virtually never drive the car in Sport Plus. I typically drive the car in Sport mode when I’m on the street. The chassis settings are selected independently with PDCC. You can run that in Normal or in Sport mode regardless of the other settings. I typically run mine in Normal mode, but I’ll switch it to Sport on a twisty mountain road.
The following users liked this post:
ndfin (09-25-2023)
Old 09-24-2023, 01:17 PM
TurboSlipNot
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
The 991.1 cars will hold the chosen gear until red line in Sport Plus mode, so most people shift manually if they’re using Sport Plus. The front and rear spoilers fully extend in Sport Plus mode also, which isn’t always ideal for the street. As a result, I virtually never drive the car in Sport Plus. I typically drive the car in Sport mode when I’m on the street. The chassis settings are selected independently with PDCC. You can run that in Normal or in Sport mode regardless of the other settings. I typically run mine in Normal mode, but I’ll switch it to Sport on a twisty mountain road.
Thanks - my car does not have the active aero, so that's not really a major concern and my engine is managed by a cyvecs unit meaning the functional results of the various engine sport settings are a bit different (though they clearly adjust both engine response parameters and gear selection on the "real" car and my little monster); but it does have active suspension - which is one of the specific elements of driving behavior i'd love to control as in the RS. As far as i've been able to find so far, looks like PDCC is active-swaybar/rollbar/etc chassis-level tech (and something to do with magical motor mounts on the Turbo S?) integrating the suspension control elements directly. It seemingly lacks the concepts of "comfort," "medium," and "sport or your preferred equivalent of stiff" rate adjustments independent of the other Porsche magic pieces involved.

Quick Reply: 991.1 Turbo S PSM question