991.2 Coolant smell in the rear area

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2022, 05:54 AM
ty423
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 991.2 Coolant smell in the rear area

2018 Turbo 27K miles
Couple times now after a drive I can smell coolant near the rear of the car once I park it in the garage. I don't see any drips on the ground. Happens intermittently. I've read other 991.2 models except turbo/GT have water pump and coolant pipe problems but not really anything about turbo/S models. Anybody have any input?
Old 09-17-2022, 08:06 AM
Nikolov
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

Have you checked your coolant levels? Do it when the engine is cold. Check if the levels are consistent over a few days time.

If coolant starts coming out when you unscrew the cap on a cold engine, then things are not going well for your head gasket 😄 There’s a safety valve that will open at 1.5 bar (21-22psi) pressure inside the coolant system. It’s located somewhere under the coolant cap, on the rear left.
Old 09-19-2022, 11:56 AM
1CEBITN
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

I'd check the coolant level in the morning after the car has sat in the garage over night. It's a closed system so shouldn't be losing coolant unless you've taken a rock to a radiator or have a hose issue or something like that. The plastic end caps on the center radiator can crack also but you'd have a puddle under the front of the car if that happened or at least some drips depending on how badly it's cracked. That's normally related to track use though. Typically if you're losing coolant you'd have evidence on the ground under the front or rear of the car. Something else to check is just that the radiator cap is shut tight. If it's not closed all the way past the click you could be letting some coolant blow out if you're driving hard.

Quick Reply: 991.2 Coolant smell in the rear area