Sponsored by: Road Spy

Dealer will not work on my car due to modifications

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2022, 05:05 PM
dgreen78
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Dealer will not work on my car due to modifications

So this is a new one. I have my car at a local dealership after waiting a month for an appointment and after having it for a few days they are telling me due to the modifications they are not comfortable working on the car. I have owned a few 911s over the years and have never been denied service due to modifications. I brought the car in to have the turbos checked as I believe one of them is shot due to a large amount of oil coming out of the compressor inlet and heavy smoke while driving. The car is a stage 4 ByDesign using FACTORY upgraded wheel turbos.

Anyone else run into this? I can see if I had some crazy aftermarket turbo setup being denied but the car is still using factory turbos and simply has aftermarket intercoolers, IPD pipe, and exhaust mods.

Last edited by dgreen78; 04-15-2022 at 05:06 PM.
Old 04-15-2022, 06:56 PM
onfireTTS
Drifting

Received 1,094 Likes on 844 Posts

@SamboTT@ByDesign

He will have a friendly Dealership to recommend.
Old 04-15-2022, 07:06 PM
Ttz06vette
Rennlist Member

Received 220 Likes on 147 Posts

They are all so busy coupled with the lack of techs due to the labor market that they can afford to do this now. Remind them of your experience in a few years when it's a buyers market again and you need a new car or they need your business again. In the meantime look for independents.

Last edited by Ttz06vette; 04-15-2022 at 07:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
dgreen78 (04-15-2022)
Old 04-15-2022, 07:24 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 925 Likes on 565 Posts

Hey Don. Sorry to hear that. With the type of issue you have they might just be intimidated by it. Sometimes if it’s not totally factory they just don’t know where to start, unless it’s maybe organized with a friendly ahead of time you know? It’s not always a factory warranty voiding or something like that. Sometimes it’s just not in their comfort zone. Were they able to tell you what they found? Is this recent? I know you had an issue with one of the turbo chargers (not ours). Let me know if I can help with anything.

Proud TOP Porsche Distributor For:

Kline-Innovation - ams Performance - TiALSPORT/XONA - #1 COBB PRO TUNER - CSF - IPD Plenums - DO88 - dodsonmotorsport

310-600-1850 - sam@bydesignauto.com
Old 04-18-2022, 04:11 PM
Highline-Autos.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 415 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by dgreen78
So this is a new one. I have my car at a local dealership after waiting a month for an appointment and after having it for a few days they are telling me due to the modifications they are not comfortable working on the car. I have owned a few 911s over the years and have never been denied service due to modifications. I brought the car in to have the turbos checked as I believe one of them is shot due to a large amount of oil coming out of the compressor inlet and heavy smoke while driving. The car is a stage 4 ByDesign using FACTORY upgraded wheel turbos.

Anyone else run into this? I can see if I had some crazy aftermarket turbo setup being denied but the car is still using factory turbos and simply has aftermarket intercoolers, IPD pipe, and exhaust mods.
While not the most convenient, I'd be happy they stepped up told me the truth about their limits and reservation, instead of taking the money and "just getting it done".

Official RECARO Automotive Retailer: www.highline-autos.com/product-category/recaro/

Highline Autos Magazine - Volume XXI, Issue 02 https://bit.ly/49A6n4M

Old 04-20-2022, 04:21 AM
Nikolov
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by dgreen78

Factory upgraded turbos usually means a drilled out housing and a bigger impeller. They can't replace that, nor they can warranty the turbo, due to the modified housing and that's what dealerships usually do, when there's a problem - they replace stuff.

Quick Reply: Dealer will not work on my car due to modifications