Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Hear me out: this car is still damn good

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2022 | 03:43 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Keep and/or buy the car that's best for your use case.

I would say half the guys (and gals) buying the 992 GT3 with or without ADM are doing because of FOMO, and not because they really believe the GT3 is the best car for their own use case.

Why not just wait for the end of the cycle 992.2 TTS, and see what PAG has up their sleeves. Perhaps a mild hybrid or KERS system, which may or may not make the car more desirable for you and make your decision even easier.
The following users liked this post:
chance6 (02-07-2022)
Old 02-07-2022 | 04:01 PM
Pb Pedis
Rennlist Member

Default Hmm...

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
Frenetic 4.0l, 9k redline, manual...'nuff said....You should drive one, they are highly entertaining.
I drove one, and the engine note and redline were entirely unique and in a different class from the TTS. However, that's where it stopped for me. While I can appreciate engine sound and the concept of how a car feels to drive (and I do *love* a manual transmission), those things matter less to me than the unbridled acceleration of the TTS (especially modded), and I have been extraordinarily satisfied with the new exhaust note from the Kline full exhaust setup. I prefer to have an absurd amount of torque on demand at lower RPM's so, for me, the GT3 offers an inferior driving experience compared to a forced induction motor, especially with mods. To each their own!
The following 3 users liked this post by Pb Pedis:
Big Swole (02-15-2022), CodyzWorld (02-07-2022), mchrono (02-18-2022)
Old 02-07-2022 | 05:45 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I'm a NA die hard, so although I love the torx, I like the skill required to drive something like the GT3 quickly - it is immensely satisfying.
Old 02-07-2022 | 06:01 PM
911dude41
Drifting

I'm a NA die hard, so although I love the torx, I like the skill required to drive something like the GT3 quickly - it is immensely satisfying.
100%

I am a much better driver in an NA Porsche. Even the 991.1 Carrera. The wave of torque in the TTS is tougher to modulate through turns and corners.

Also as one whose into tuning/modding. Chasing boost leaks gets tiresome.
Old 02-07-2022 | 06:08 PM
CubsFan1
Rennlist Member

I wouldn’t do it. Similar to others, here is some opinion.

IMHO, you’re not enjoying the car enough. It’s a dilemma for many for a variety of reasons, e.g. time, location, one of some, etc., but these are one of the ultimate all around sports cars meant to be driven. I believe the more you drive it the more you’ll lose interest in a replacement.

The market is crazy right now. IMHO, there isn’t enough to gain in the transaction. How will your experience improve driving around town in a new GT3 vs. the turbo.

Agree, your car is still awesome, enjoy it!

Last edited by CubsFan1; 02-07-2022 at 07:46 PM.
Old 02-07-2022 | 11:39 PM
chance6
Race Car

Frenetic 4.0l, 9k redline, manual...

'nuff said.

You should drive one, they are highly entertaining.
I had a 991.2 GT3, but was PDK. Actually I had fun with the car but I didn't like the particular spec I had. The dynamics of the car were fantastic but it did have some on-road flaws. The tires on the street took forever to get warm. Car sucked in the rain, for the most part. Bose sound system, thumbs down. You can say what you want but Burmester rocks. They'll say 'that's not the point of a GT car'...well fine, but it's a flaw. PCCBs squealed like crazy.

But the dynamics of the car were fantastic.
Old 02-08-2022 | 01:00 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Frenetic 4.0l, 9k redline, manual...

'nuff said.

You should drive one, they are highly entertaining.
Having owned a 991.1 GT3 and a 991.2 GT3 RS, I am very familiar with the NA 9k engine.

And while I agree with everything you've said, there's something you've left out.

Most of your driving occurs below, and well below 9k. Otherwise, you'll end up in jail, or at your local cemetery.

Even on track, you're not spending the majority of your time at 9k, and having had more than 6k track miles in my two GT cars, it's not 9k redline that is intoxicating, it's the machine-gun like downshifts form the PDK-S from 9K on down that is truly magical.

So while the NA 9k engine is awesome, for the majority of the time you are actually driving the car, it's simply there as a reminder of what it can be, not what it is actually doing, which for most of us is probably more important. And this is where the TT/TTS really shines. Because at any RPM, the thing just reminds you that are essentially king of the road.
The following 3 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
Big Swole (02-15-2022), chance6 (02-08-2022), the_buch (02-08-2022)
Old 02-08-2022 | 01:39 AM
911dude41
Drifting

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Having owned a 991.1 GT3 and a 991.2 GT3 RS, I am very familiar with the NA 9k engine.

And while I agree with everything you've said, there's something you've left out.

Most of your driving occurs below, and well below 9k. Otherwise, you'll end up in jail, or at your local cemetery.

Even on track, you're not spending the majority of your time at 9k, and having had more than 6k track miles in my two GT cars, it's not 9k redline that is intoxicating, it's the machine-gun like downshifts form the PDK-S from 9K on down that is truly magical.

So while the NA 9k engine is awesome, for the majority of the time you are actually driving the car, it's simply there as a reminder of what it can be, not what it is actually doing, which for most of us is probably more important. And this is where the TT/TTS really shines. Because at any RPM, the thing just reminds you that are essentially king of the road.
This is the TTS section. We drive like rat bags and don't carry that virtue signal crap that they do in the 991 sections of "how dare you drive above the speed limit?".. Not sayin you're doing that.

If and when I'm in a GT3, I'm holding gears and I'm giving it the beans. No faux given. That 90 degree right turn on the back street to my house? Yup, at the limit.

Cheers.
Old 02-08-2022 | 11:17 AM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

One must drive it hard, or else it gets gummy.

I hear what you're saying, but running it through lower gears, 1st/2nd, to here it sing in the city is just fine by me.

On the highway, the occasional 3rd and 4th gear pull would keep me in my happy place - this by no means suggests I am driving like a lunatic, but it does mean I know how to exercise the car.
Old 02-08-2022 | 12:47 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by abiazis
Traded my GT3 991.2 for my TTS and have no regrets........daily driver......the only negative is that the value does not hold like the GT3 in usual times........

99% of all 911 cars are mileage sensitive......so some GT3 that are used longterm as a daily driver will depreciate below MSRP eventually........

My GT3 sat more than it was used, because it was too much drama as a daily car.....the TTS does not have that drama........
My perspective is that if you worry about "value" of cars - you will not enjoy them as cars. You will be scared to put miles on them and that's the whole point. Go look at GT3's for sale - tons with < 5K miles. Garage queens - that's where the real Porsche's mostly live. Very few people drive them a lot to include 2RS, 911R's, Speedsters etc. They're more collectibles than fun cars.

Now - I was on the hunt for a GT3 when I bought my TT. It hit me that I would only use it very sparingly (like my previous exotic - at 5 am on a twisty canyon road or on a track). I decided I wanted something I would use far more often. So I literally changed my mind in one day and bought the Turbo. I think I want both (a GT3 and a TT) but don't have the room so the Turbo is the keeper. Land Rover and others can be outside. The Turbo with a few tweaks is an amazing all arounder. You can improve the sound track and really up the power / responsiveness. You don't need to string it out to 9K or you can literally beat 99% of anything out there if the need arises. Plus you can potter over to a restaurant and listen to some tunes on the Burm for date night with the DSC and suspension in normal - its actually pretty comfortable.
Big Swole (02-15-2022)
Old 02-08-2022 | 06:51 PM
CodyzWorld
Burning Brakes

LOL! I've often thought how much you need to push to hear that 9K.
I'll take the low end torque of my TTS and the AWD for real world driving.
On a side note, I looked seriously into the 600LT awhile back and after driving it, no thanks. great TOY but nothing compared to the TTS.
Old 02-08-2022 | 07:50 PM
911dude41
Drifting

Originally Posted by rodsky
My perspective is that if you worry about "value" of cars - you will not enjoy them as cars. You will be scared to put miles on them and that's the whole point. Go look at GT3's for sale - tons with < 5K miles. Garage queens - that's where the real Porsche's mostly live. Very few people drive them a lot to include 2RS, 911R's, Speedsters etc. They're more collectibles than fun cars.

Now - I was on the hunt for a GT3 when I bought my TT. It hit me that I would only use it very sparingly (like my previous exotic - at 5 am on a twisty canyon road or on a track). I decided I wanted something I would use far more often. So I literally changed my mind in one day and bought the Turbo. I think I want both (a GT3 and a TT) but don't have the room so the Turbo is the keeper. Land Rover and others can be outside. The Turbo with a few tweaks is an amazing all arounder. You can improve the sound track and really up the power / responsiveness. You don't need to string it out to 9K or you can literally beat 99% of anything out there if the need arises. Plus you can potter over to a restaurant and listen to some tunes on the Burm for date night with the DSC and suspension in normal - its actually pretty comfortable.
... and I've seen TONS of low mileage GT3's that were beat up buckets in **** poor shape all the while the higher mileage ones that ere 10k miles+ being mint.

Nearly every GT3 private seller is a parody of themselves from the ones I've talked to when looking to buy. I've walked away from so many cars because of the seller as most of they time they're dweebs who look see themselves as a demi god whose winning... Eh, keep your Miami Blue GT3 that has a PDK and 4 way sofas thats draped in el-cheapo alcantara.
Old 02-08-2022 | 10:56 PM
chance6
Race Car

Anytime I drive the TTS, I have that feeling. More of what it can do at all times, which is a pretty bad-#ss feeling btw.
Old 02-08-2022 | 11:02 PM
chance6
Race Car

Originally Posted by 911dude41
... and I've seen TONS of low mileage GT3's that were beat up buckets in **** poor shape all the while the higher mileage ones that ere 10k miles+ being mint.

Nearly every GT3 private seller is a parody of themselves from the ones I've talked to when looking to buy. I've walked away from so many cars because of the seller as most of they time they're dweebs who look see themselves as a demi god whose winning... Eh, keep your Miami Blue GT3 that has a PDK and 4 way sofas thats draped in el-cheapo alcantara.
Holy crap. Shot across the bow right there!! lol Maybe I should keep my TTS, ha ha .
Big Swole (02-15-2022)
Old 02-08-2022 | 11:15 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911dude41

Ouch! Note to self don't offer to sell my future Miami Blue Gt3 w PDK and 4 ways to 911Dude - actually I am Ok with that spec. I like Miami Blue and PDK and yes I'd prefer buckets in the GT3 but if sofas was the only "issue" - I'd take it. Its not like I am only going to drive the car on the track.

But I do get your point.
pfbz (02-09-2022)

Quick Reply: Hear me out: this car is still damn good