Sponsored by: Road Spy

Front bumper removal tips?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2021, 07:19 AM
ty423
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Front bumper removal tips?

I've been searching and I see there are instructions on removing everything 991 except the turbo front bumpers. I would imagine it's similar except the part about the inflatable front lip. I'm sure there is more things to be disconnected such as air lines. Kind of scared to do it because the rubber lip alone cost an arm and a leg. Does anyone have any tips on the front bumper removal for Turbo models or direct me in the right direction? I'm not sure if I should remove front wheels to get better access in the fender lining. Some might not know this but the .2 headlights need to be unbolted from underneath and is not like the past using a tool from the front boot.

Last edited by ty423; 11-14-2021 at 07:21 AM.
Old 11-14-2021, 10:58 AM
mgz911
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here you go.
Old 11-14-2021, 11:09 AM
ottodawg
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 212 Posts

That's the video I used, they make it look much easier than it is, but it will show what's involved. I had a tough time with the drivers side main connector, ended up breaking the locking tab so had to replace the connector. Porsche doesn't sell just the connectors, they want to sell you the whole harness, had to go to the VW dealer for that. The air lines are also kind of a PIA. They have a push/lock fitting, but mine also had some adhesive holding them in. Took a lot of effort to remove them from the fitting. Probably be easier if the car front end is lifted a little.

One of these tools are very helpful for unplugging the connectors:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben.../002916sch01a/

Other than that it's not too horrible.

Last edited by ottodawg; 11-14-2021 at 11:13 AM.
Old 11-14-2021, 11:24 AM
Beezupra
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 159 Posts

I've removed my 991.2 TTS front bumper, and it went smoothly. The most important thing I can tell you, is that on a .2, there is definitely no need to remove or do anything at all with the headlights to remove the bumper.

Apart from the headlights, other details of removal are the same for .1 and .2, and so I found the same video as linked above helpful.

I had my front supported on jackstands, and turned the steering from one side to the other to help expose the screws in the front fender well, but did not need to remove my front wheels. I suppose a second set of hands might be a small bonus, but I did it alone.

When you pull the clips from the front top corners of the bumper, just inside from the headlights, pay close attention to the orientation as they come out to avoid confusion later. Clips I am referring to are shown at 6:20 of the video.

The front spoiler and it's inflation bag etc stay intact and attached to the bumper throughout the process, so that whole assembly never felt at any risk for messing up. But the closest I had to any hassle was disconnecting the two air lines that go to the spoiler bladder. They are disconnected at a junction that is maybe 18" from centerline, towards the passenger side, from underneath, and visible once the lower bumper is separated a little from the undercarriage. You can see the location in the pic below, the ends have blue tape on them. It was tough to tell exactly how to disconnect them. I think I recall there was little arrows printed on the hoses, and you line up the arrows, pinch and pull to separate. Wish I could give more precise advice on that step.

Go for it, its not too bad, and good luck!

Last edited by Beezupra; 11-14-2021 at 11:30 AM.
Old 11-15-2021, 04:31 AM
ty423
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mgz911
Wow...how did I miss this video...big thanks!

Originally Posted by Beezupra
I've removed my 991.2 TTS front bumper, and it went smoothly. The most important thing I can tell you, is that on a .2, there is definitely no need to remove or do anything at all with the headlights to remove the bumper.

Apart from the headlights, other details of removal are the same for .1 and .2, and so I found the same video as linked above helpful.

I had my front supported on jackstands, and turned the steering from one side to the other to help expose the screws in the front fender well, but did not need to remove my front wheels. I suppose a second set of hands might be a small bonus, but I did it alone.

When you pull the clips from the front top corners of the bumper, just inside from the headlights, pay close attention to the orientation as they come out to avoid confusion later. Clips I am referring to are shown at 6:20 of the video.

The front spoiler and it's inflation bag etc stay intact and attached to the bumper throughout the process, so that whole assembly never felt at any risk for messing up. But the closest I had to any hassle was disconnecting the two air lines that go to the spoiler bladder. They are disconnected at a junction that is maybe 18" from centerline, towards the passenger side, from underneath, and visible once the lower bumper is separated a little from the undercarriage. You can see the location in the pic below, the ends have blue tape on them. It was tough to tell exactly how to disconnect them. I think I recall there was little arrows printed on the hoses, and you line up the arrows, pinch and pull to separate. Wish I could give more precise advice on that step.

Go for it, its not too bad, and good luck!

Thank you...my confidence level has increased drastically...thank you all.
Old 11-15-2021, 09:25 AM
D1al911
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by ty423
Wow...how did I miss this video...big thanks!

Thank you...my confidence level has increased drastically...thank you all.
I followed that video and it took under 30 mins. Headlights must be off on .1 cars.

What are looking to achieve?
Old 11-15-2021, 11:18 AM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,872 Likes on 2,948 Posts

Originally Posted by ottodawg
That's the video I used, they make it look much easier than it is, but it will show what's involved. I had a tough time with the drivers side main connector, ended up breaking the locking tab so had to replace the connector. Porsche doesn't sell just the connectors, they want to sell you the whole harness, had to go to the VW dealer for that. The air lines are also kind of a PIA. They have a push/lock fitting, but mine also had some adhesive holding them in. Took a lot of effort to remove them from the fitting. Probably be easier if the car front end is lifted a little.

One of these tools are very helpful for unplugging the connectors:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben.../002916sch01a/

Other than that it's not too horrible.
That would have been me, no question.
Old 11-15-2021, 11:43 AM
ottodawg
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
That would have been me, no question.
Lol, well if you do, I've got a spare I'll send ya..
Old 11-15-2021, 02:37 PM
Beezupra
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 159 Posts

A reminder for anyone taking a 991 front bumper off for whatever reason - now is your chance to add grill screens! Once the bumper is off, it is cake to install these Rennline screens from the inside. Cleaner fit and look than the alternative.

You can see all the debris trapped inside my grills in the pic back a couple posts - got that all cleaned out and glad to have the grills on now.

I got a 3 for 1 reward for the work of removing my bumper - removed and painted all the grill trim, installed screens and 3 ALP Laser heads.
Old 11-15-2021, 04:12 PM
ty423
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by D1al911
I followed that video and it took under 30 mins. Headlights must be off on .1 cars.

What are looking to achieve?
Installing aerokit turbo lip trim. The side winglets need to be mounted using what they call a "contact plate" which goes on the inside of the bumper. I will need to drill some holes for some screws and I think taking bumper off I can do a more perfect job.

A reminder for anyone taking a 991 front bumper off for whatever reason - now is your chance to add grill screens! Once the bumper is off, it is cake to install these Rennline screens from the inside. Cleaner fit and look than the alternative.

You can see all the debris trapped inside my grills in the pic back a couple posts - got that all cleaned out and glad to have the grills on now.

I got a 3 for 1 reward for the work of removing my bumper - removed and painted all the grill trim, installed screens and 3 ALP Laser heads.
I thought about doing this as well but I'm not a big fan of how the grill looks on the car. Functionality is cool though.
Old 11-15-2021, 05:07 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 887 Likes on 537 Posts

Would love to install those front grills- must have had a few hundred butterflies in those openings this summer!! Hate those connectors so may have to get those tools. Took the rear bumper off to install a tubi muffler and air cleaners, etc and must have slightly bent one of the connectors as I lost the back up camera. That was a pain to fix. Also, a few years ago I screwed something up removing the headlights on my 997.2 GT3 and it kept throwing a headlight error- those little tabs are VERY fragile!

Just be careful with any connector!!
Old 11-15-2021, 07:03 PM
ottodawg
Rennlist Member

I got a 3 for 1 reward for the work of removing my bumper - installed screens and 3 ALP Laser heads.
Yeah, I did about the same, Rennline screens and 3 ALP heads. Thinking I need to pull the front back off this winter and re-position the heads, testing wasn't stellar.... we won't even talk about the back..😢

Quick Reply: Front bumper removal tips?