Cobb accessport

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2021, 07:57 PM
dhu1
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cobb accessport

Just a PSA.

I was moving from Stage 2 to Stage 3 on my 991.1 TTS and was wanting to check the maps/notes on Cobb and then just realized that Cobb had removed all references to Stage 2/3. Looks like they are complying with emission standards. Any maps above Stage 1 will have to be done by professional tuners (probably better anyways).
Old 11-02-2021, 08:18 PM
ottodawg
Rennlist Member

Received 319 Likes on 216 Posts

Yeah I saw that. Luckily I still have all the old maps on my AP and didn't do the update. I assume it'll remove all the OTS maps if you do.. lame..
Old 11-02-2021, 08:28 PM
RadarP3C
Rennlist Member

Received 331 Likes on 254 Posts

Sam, ... what says you?
Old 11-02-2021, 08:37 PM
dhu1
Rennlist Member

I downloaded the maps on the computer and updated the firmware. The old maps still remained on the access port after update but best to keep a copy of the maps on your computer.
Old 11-02-2021, 08:39 PM
ottodawg
Rennlist Member

Received 319 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by dhu1
I downloaded the maps on the computer and updated the firmware. The old maps still remained on the access port after update but best to keep a copy of the maps on your computer.
Good to know, thanks!
Old 11-02-2021, 08:54 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 931 Likes on 570 Posts

He all. I have all of maps archived so anyone is welcome to reach out and I am happy to help. We can also take a look at your goals and see if custom tuning support suits you best.

Proud TOP Porsche Distributor For:

Kline-Innovation - ams Performance - TiALSPORT/XONA - #1 COBB PRO TUNER - CSF - IPD Plenums - DO88 - dodsonmotorsport

310-600-1850 - sam@bydesignauto.com
Old 11-02-2021, 09:12 PM
911dude41
Drifting

Received 1,205 Likes on 695 Posts

Originally Posted by dhu1
I refused the update, but this is good info. Hopefully they don't code something to not allow the older map versions to work.

Cobb covering their butts, sucks but don't blame them.
Old 11-03-2021, 12:29 PM
rbrotmd
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

This whole misguided government crack-down sucks. Sam: are you afraid that folks like you will be the next on the chopping block?
Old 11-03-2021, 01:02 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Everything will keep changing and get more challenging. We always will evolve and continue to work on compliance so we can take care of our guys as well as the environment. Dare I say it, it's interesting how in some states, fees, certifications and such will fix it. So it's a $ game to an extent.
Old 11-03-2021, 11:21 PM
Jim991
Burning Brakes

Received 178 Likes on 132 Posts

If Cobb is selling these units based on preloaded tunes 1-3 and it arrives only with 1 that is total BS. That is what happened to me with the AP I just bought from Sam. We are working it out.
Old 11-03-2021, 11:43 PM
RadarP3C
Rennlist Member

Received 331 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim991
If Cobb is selling these units based on preloaded tunes 1-3 and it arrives only with 1 that is total BS. That is what happened to me with the AP I just bought from Sam. We are working it out.
I definitely understand you expecting to get exactly what you paid for with the AP. I'd rather use Sam's custom tunes for the different stages than the generic tunes in the AP. My opinion; no harm no foul if you're already working with Sam. Maybe I'm wrong, but, I don't believe there are many that purchase the AP, and not using their own tuner. If a person is relying only on the included tunes, then, yes they got ripped off if Cobb is not including a disclaimer. I installed Sam's stage one about a month ago and I'm loving it!

BTW, this reminds me to send a data log to Sam.

Last edited by RadarP3C; 11-04-2021 at 02:43 AM.
Old 11-04-2021, 10:30 AM
Steve Cole
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by RadarP3C
I definitely understand you expecting to get exactly what you paid for with the AP. I'd rather use Sam's custom tunes for the different stages than the generic tunes in the AP. My opinion; no harm no foul if you're already working with Sam. Maybe I'm wrong, but, I don't believe there are many that purchase the AP, and not using their own tuner. If a person is relying only on the included tunes, then, yes they got ripped off if Cobb is not including a disclaimer. I installed Sam's stage one about a month ago and I'm loving it!

This is my problem with Cobb, too. Since last year, their tunes have essentially done nothing to improve the car. Driven back to back, they feel like they added a bit more throttle in early in the pedal travel but my drag results were no better, just as their dyno plots told me they wouldn't be. Some people here argued, but the fact is they already neutered their tunes last Jan/Feb and now I don't know why they even bother to send a file with the device - they should drop 50% off the price of it and point you at a custom tuner, at best.
Old 11-04-2021, 08:58 PM
Jim991
Burning Brakes

Received 178 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by RadarP3C

I believe that most that buy the AP do not intend to work with a tuner. I work with Sam so this bait and switch is not killing me. Go to the Cobb website and for 991.1 turbos they are still advertising gains for 1-3. This is not a cheap part. MSRP is $3100. You buy the AP expecting to have 2-3 installed and its not there. Completely deceptive. There has always been a very active resale market for APs. Now the older ones with all of the maps will be worth more than my in the box new unit. Total false advertising.
Old 11-04-2021, 09:08 PM
dhu1
Rennlist Member

I had alerted Cobb that Stage 2 and 3 were advertised. They said that was a mistake that they had to rectify ASAP.
Old 11-04-2021, 09:15 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Hey guys, I do believe this may be some sort of temporary glitch. There’s a lot happening right now as far as adjustments and compliance with EPA regulations. Several certifications and EL numbers are coming. They may be making some changes online. I’ll try to look into it just out of town for the Sema convention right now. Since I work closely with Cobb and i’m one of their main representatives here, anyone can always reach out to me and make sure they get what they need. I’m sure this will be resolved as far as a permanent solution but right now I can imagine several reasons why they are missing, but will come back. Anybody who needs the OTS files might be able to contact them directly. I’m happy to help you and there’s no custom charges or fees required. This would just be getting you base maps that should be there while trying to help out Cobb and all my friends here 😎

Custom tuning is separate and of course we are always happy to do that as well.
The following users liked this post:
GTalleri (01-23-2022)

Quick Reply: Cobb accessport