Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 Turbo (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turbo-230/)
-   -   Price negotiations buying a CPO 991.2 Turbo S from a dealer (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turbo/1266012-price-negotiations-buying-a-cpo-991-2-turbo-s-from-a-dealer.html)

robininni 08-26-2021 02:09 PM

Price negotiations buying a CPO 991.2 Turbo S from a dealer

Does anyone have any recent experience buying a used (CPO preferentially) 991.2 Turbo or Turbo S from a dealer? I'm looking at one out of state for me and the price **seems** pretty good but then again, I've never owned a Porsche before so I don't have experience with the brand and this level of car and the ins and outs of buying one. I'm just wondering if it would be foolish to not try to negotiate the price down and what sort of percentages of asking price are reasonable. This particular one is a highly optioned, high mileage 2017. Thanks for any advice.

BMS 08-26-2021 02:59 PM

It's a sellers market right now, so they own most of the court in this ball game. Going to be hard to negotiate right now, but anything is possible.

-Payam

nismonian 08-26-2021 03:12 PM

This ^^

point out any imperfections whether its in the ad or the car itself and use it as leverage...

r00t61 08-26-2021 08:05 PM

You should still negotiate as you would normally. Just understand that it is a seller's market right now, and so if the dealer tells you "there's a lot of interest in this car and it could be sold soon", this will be one of the rare times when he's not lying.

Big Swole 08-26-2021 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by robininni (Post 17630874)
This particular one is a highly optioned, high mileage 2017. Thanks for any advice.

Care to share what "high mileage" is on this car and what they're asking for it?

I have a 2017 TTS myself and just wondering what they think the market is on what you're describing.

robininni 08-26-2021 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Big Swole (Post 17631709)
Care to share what "high mileage" is on this car and what they're asking for it?

I have a 2017 TTS myself and just wondering what they think the market is on what you're describing.

Sure. 52k miles, $150k.

Big Swole 08-26-2021 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by robininni (Post 17631735)
Sure. 52k miles, $150k.

Pretty strong money for 52k...Of course you are paying for the CPO and it'll be nice to have that security. I just had a $5K plus bill for my front spoiler failure replacement and my Fidelity Platinum warranty covered it, with me only paying $293 deductible. It's good to have on these cars.

I was certainly make them an offer and see what they say. Don't just take their price as is... Bird in the hand as they say... They may take it, or at least counter at something less than asking to close the deal.

Pb Pedis 08-26-2021 11:02 PM

Nice

Sure. 52k miles, $150k.

I assume this is it: https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=307438177

That is a nice spec ($215K MSRP), one owner vehicle in sapphire blue - highly desirable color. The issue is the miles and the dealer knows it which is why they had a $7500 price drop 12 days ago. Enthusiasts know that car is bulletproof, but to the rest of the Porsche buying world it has way too many miles to be seriously considered … that’s why it hasn’t sold in 48 days. Condition looks very good, clean CarFax and probably has service history, plus you have the CPO for piece of mind. The high miles are the reason you might be able to steal it…. I would tell them the miles are a concern and then offer $135K.

NiteJav 08-27-2021 07:20 AM

Looked up Manehim and it says the average price is 153k for a 2017 TTS Coupe. With 52k miles on the clock, deduct about 20k from that, according to manheim. Assuming its the car in the link above the adjusted MMR is 132k.
Important note: the closest comp with ~58k miles crossed the auction block at 110k on 8/19/2021! Of course we do not know the cars carfax history, which may warrant the 110k. It also had a condition rating of 3.2 which is very low for a 2017 TTS normally they are in the mid to upper 4's on a scale of 1-5. (5 being perfect) That car had an adjusted MMR of 122k and it landed 12k south of the MMR estimate.

Not sure what they picked the car you're looking at up for (assuming it was traded in) but that last price point would make me nervous as the dealership owner that they could end up getting 120-130ish at best at auction if it gets to that. Some dealers will auction used cars automatically after 60-90 days. CPO costs are a few grand. I wouldn't really go much above 135, maybe 140 max. I know with the C4S there is a major service at 60k miles, Maybe call another Porsche dealer and find out what the 60k TTS service looks like from an item and cost perspective. AWD controller oil and belt service and pdcc tank replacement seem to stick out to me. Not 100% sure on the TTS versus the C4S. Maybe use that as a negotiation tactic, that when the 60k service comes up you have a set lower price in writing if you agree to go higher on the purchase price. (not sure how far this dealer is from your home location, so this idea might not be worth exploring)

Good luck!

stealthzr1 08-27-2021 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Pb Pedis (Post 17631858)
I assume this is it: https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=307438177

That is a nice spec ($215K MSRP), one owner vehicle in sapphire blue - highly desirable color. The issue is the miles and the dealer knows it which is why they had a $7500 price drop 12 days ago. Enthusiasts know that car is bulletproof, but to the rest of the Porsche buying world it has way too many miles to be seriously considered … that’s why it hasn’t sold in 48 days. Condition looks very good, clean CarFax and probably has service history, plus you have the CPO for piece of mind. The high miles are the reason you might be able to steal it…. I would tell them the miles are a concern and then offer $135K.

if its that one its actually located at the dealer I use. i was just there last week getting new tires. I didn't see this car, it may have been on the show room floor. they had a few .1 and .2's

robininni 08-27-2021 10:27 AM

Yes, this is the Turbo S I was looking at. I appreciate all the information and price guidance from everyone. They sent me the service records as it was originally sold from them and they have done all service on it since it was new. The service guy said there is nothing due except an oil change in 10,000 miles/1 year. He said all major service was just done. The records show v-belt, spark plugs, air filter, oil change/filter, brake fluid, cabin air filters, wipers, new tires, 4 wheel alignment all on 7/10/21. He said the windshield could stand to be replaced (no chips, but road rash he said which would bother him). I'm not familiar with this and don't guess I've ever had a vehicle windshield get this.

Unless I'm missing something I don't see that they replaced the PDCC reservoir or changed all wheel drive controller oil which both look like they are needed at 60k miles based on the checklist I found for 991. I guess it's not technically time but pretty close. Anyone know what those cost?

It's funny, on Cargurus it says their price is a few thousand over market and on Cars.com it says it is a few thousand less than market.

There are a few things I don't like about the car--the silver window trim and the black Aerokit (I would prefer body colored). Otherwise, it has everything I would want. I like the blue okay but it's not my first pick. I'm hesitant to proceed because I feel like the pricing is about to come down on these used Turbo / Turbo S in the near future and I don't want to over pay. Maybe $15k less would be about right factoring in the mileage and all.

I won't put more than 3k miles on it a year based on my current car usage so over time I guess the 'high' mileage might get normalized during my ownership.

abiazis 08-27-2021 11:10 AM

$ 135 with those miles - focus on negotiating with that and also that highly optioned car has more things at that mileage that can break regardless of CPO comeback.......inconvenience aspect....

Andrew Acree 08-27-2021 11:32 AM

Sure. 52k miles, $150k.

Just for a reference point, I purchased my 2015 .1 TTS CPO with 52k miles back in April for $115k. $194k MSRP.

Jaskfri 08-27-2021 11:40 AM

Are you going to flip the car in a few years or keep it long term. In a few years this is still a high mileage car. You could buy one with less miles and since you do less than 3k miles per year it will remain low mileage and be easier to sell.

I went the other route. In 2019 I bought a 2009 997 turbo with 33k miles on it and bought a Fidelity 6yr/72kmile warranty. It now has 61k miles and I love to drive it as much as possible.

stealthzr1 08-27-2021 02:39 PM

I had to go back to dealer today since tech forgot my valve stem caps when I had tires replace. I saw the car outside so just did a quick look while here. Car could use a good cleaning as the road in front of dealer is being replaced so it’s pretty dusty, it also has some polishing compound that needs to be cleaned up. Also had a little damage to rear bumper, the rest of car doesn’t look bad, it does have clear bra on the front.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...39ea19af8.jpeg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...652037a0d.jpeg