Sponsored by: Road Spy

Exhaust Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2020, 02:07 AM
Zipforia
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Exhaust Question

I am interested in getting an exhaust (just the exhaust. No sport cat or going catless). However, I can't seem to find a sound clip that has just an exhaust. Most exhaust videos either have sport cat or catless (+/- headers). Other videos don't list the setup, so I'm left guessing. I'm choosing to go with stock cat because I don't want to put back on the stock cat when its time to smog if I go with sport cat or go catless (I live in California...even the sport cats will fail smog). I have a 2019 model and I know I have 5 years from smogging, but it is a process I'd like to avoid no matter how long away this is. Also, traditionally, I felt going catless was a little too loud for my taste. And, with the exhaust sound laws in California no longer being a "Fix It" Ticket, I'd rather not attract any undo attention from the LE. So, my question is, those of you that just have an exhaust with stock cat, can you post a sound clip? Doesn't matter the brand. I'm open to all at the moment. And, of course, I have to take the sound clips with a grain of salt because it's never like hearing an exhaust in person. But there's no way for me to listen all (or even few) exhausts in person, being that TT/TTS isn't very common...even at car meets. Therefore, reaching out to all of you is my next best bet. After hearing all the sound clips, if I think just an exhaust sounds too similar to stock exhaust, then I may have to succumb to a sport cat or muffler delete. Thank you all in advance.

Z.
Old 03-06-2020, 10:09 AM
onfireTTS
Drifting

Received 1,094 Likes on 844 Posts

Originally Posted by Zipforia
I am interested in getting an exhaust (just the exhaust. No sport cat or going catless). However, I can't seem to find a sound clip that has just an exhaust. Most exhaust videos either have sport cat or catless (+/- headers). Other videos don't list the setup, so I'm left guessing. I'm choosing to go with stock cat because I don't want to put back on the stock cat when its time to smog if I go with sport cat or go catless (I live in California...even the sport cats will fail smog). I have a 2019 model and I know I have 5 years from smogging, but it is a process I'd like to avoid no matter how long away this is. Also, traditionally, I felt going catless was a little too loud for my taste. And, with the exhaust sound laws in California no longer being a "Fix It" Ticket, I'd rather not attract any undo attention from the LE. So, my question is, those of you that just have an exhaust with stock cat, can you post a sound clip? Doesn't matter the brand. I'm open to all at the moment. And, of course, I have to take the sound clips with a grain of salt because it's never like hearing an exhaust in person. But there's no way for me to listen all (or even few) exhausts in person, being that TT/TTS isn't very common...even at car meets. Therefore, reaching out to all of you is my next best bet. After hearing all the sound clips, if I think just an exhaust sounds too similar to stock exhaust, then I may have to succumb to a sport cat or muffler delete. Thank you all in advance.

Z.
You are a candidate for Akrapovic. I used their cat back on my X5M. Extremely well built and was easy to install due to the quality. I love my current Kline Inconel, but I’m not sure if they work with the stock cats. If they do, I would highly recommend it as well.

Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
Zipforia (03-06-2020)
Old 03-06-2020, 11:24 AM
Meeper
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm in the same boat as you Zipforia - want better sound but don't want to delete the cats. I think in addition to Akrapovic, Sharkwerks and SpeedTech also offer systems that allow you to keep your OEM cats. That said, I too would like to hear the sound clips. Thanks for kicking off this thread and I'm ooking forward to hearing some good options
Zipforia (03-06-2020)
Old 03-06-2020, 11:42 AM
MotoJB
Three Wheelin'

Received 593 Likes on 333 Posts

If that were my plan, I'd just go with OEM cats and a sharkwerks pipe. Here's their video with their system, using OEM cats. It's one of the least expensive options too.

https://www.sharkwerks.com/exhaust/p...urbo-s-SHAX422

With that said, I went with a Europipe Stage 1 with their 100 cell cats and it looks like an OEM system. No issues with CEL's and no smog implications. Very, very tame in volume. Zero drone. It's really a perfect system for those that don't want smog implications, want more sound but don't want it too attention getting or too noisy in the cabin. It's literally almost like stock inside the car when cruising around.
The following 2 users liked this post by MotoJB:
the_buch (03-07-2020), Zipforia (03-06-2020)
Old 03-06-2020, 11:52 AM
A/S
Burning Brakes

Received 283 Likes on 130 Posts

Your only options to keep the stock cats and not have a sound level that puts you into recent California abuse on anything aftermarket are the following:

Tubi Style (Italy)
Akrapovic (Slovenia)

The Akrapovic requires different tips and a lower trim that looks after market, while the Tubi allows you to use the stock tips.

All other options are too loud (Sharkwerks), or they replace the catalytic converters (and could trigger Check Engine Lights if not tuned or properly spaced with O2 sensor extensions and mini-cats).

Europipe replaces the cats, unless a muffler shop can cut the Europipe cats and weld or make a joint for your stock cats.

My Tubi with the stock cats sound (sound level) like any 991.2 Carrera/Carrera S with the Sport Exhaust option, louder than the stock 991 Turbo S, but about the same as other stock Porsches, and not even close to loud as my stock 2019 GT3RS.
The following 2 users liked this post by A/S:
TurboS_GG (03-08-2020), Zipforia (03-06-2020)
Old 03-06-2020, 12:19 PM
mwlmd
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

I haven't heard of sport cats failing the smog test. Is this a known issue?
Old 03-06-2020, 12:24 PM
Jim991
Burning Brakes

Received 178 Likes on 132 Posts

My Kline exhaust with 100 cell cats passed the smog test in NC. No CELs.
4flynlow (03-17-2020)
Old 03-06-2020, 12:32 PM
MotoJB
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mwlmd
I haven't heard of sport cats failing the smog test. Is this a known issue?

Nope, that concern is 99% unfounded. They simply plug into the OBDII port. Readiness codes all check good = pass.

When it comes to the visual, they'll take alook and so as long as they see cats, you're good to go 99% of the time.

Now, in RARE cases I've heard that if you have a very clearly blingy aftermarket system that is also very loud, some picky/ahole smog tech may not pass you due to (no CARB approved or too loud of an) aftermarket exhaust. I've never had issues though. My 996TT had very trick and very loud unobtainium exhaust with 200 cell HJS cats. Passed every time.

Old 03-06-2020, 12:49 PM
mwlmd
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoJB
Nope, that concern is 99% unfounded. They simply plug into the OBDII port. Readiness codes all check good = pass.

When it comes to the visual, they'll take alook and so as long as they see cats, you're good to go 99% of the time.

Now, in RARE cases I've heard that if you have a very clearly blingy aftermarket system that is also very loud, some picky/ahole smog tech may not pass you due to (no CARB approved or too loud of an) aftermarket exhaust. I've never had issues though. My 996TT had very trick and very loud unobtainium exhaust with 200 cell HJS cats. Passed every time.
That was my understanding as well. Assuming correct I would recommend the OP look at Kline or Europipe with 100cel sport cats. I believe the Akra is essentially stock sounding and looks funny so probably not worth the change.

I will say that the exhaust note on these cars is unique and definitely not a strong point even with aftermarket options. So don't expect to change it into an Audi R8 or GT car sound wise.
Zipforia (03-06-2020)
Old 03-06-2020, 12:55 PM
MotoJB
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mwlmd
That was my understanding as well. Assuming correct I would recommend the OP look at Kline or Europipe with 100cel sport cats. I believe the Akra is essentially stock sounding and looks funny so probably not worth the change.

I will say that the exhaust note on these cars is unique and definitely not a strong point even with aftermarket options. So don't expect to change it into an Audi R8 or GT car sound wise.

Not a fan of the sound of Akra at all...not to mention it's ridiculously expensive. I'd do Kline or Europipe myself.
The following 2 users liked this post by MotoJB:
4flynlow (03-17-2020), Zipforia (03-06-2020)
Old 03-06-2020, 02:05 PM
Zipforia
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

My research told me that, in California, even sport cats will fail smog. I guess with sport cats, YMMV.

Thanks for the input.

Z.
Old 03-06-2020, 02:10 PM
A/S
Burning Brakes

Received 283 Likes on 130 Posts

I had my 996 GT3 and 997 GT3RS smog tested in California, and they both failed. Both cars on stock catalytic converters. Both cars got new catalytic converters from Porsche of Downtown L.A., smog tested again and they both passed way below the limit.

Back in the day I was told to bring the cars to other smog test venues where they would check ECU and make it easier to pass, but nothing wrong with getting new cats if the stock cats wore down (track use and high octane fuels kill these catalytic converters).

On my 991.1 Turbo S, my 991.1 GT3 RS and 991.2 GT3 RS, all my aftermarket cats have produced a CEL, some of them I have resolved with spacers, the Turbo S with tune (but still gets the codes in my reader, just no CEL), and my 991.2 GT3RS is erratic, but thanks to the awesome support of the exhaust system manufacturer, we have a solution (just need to install it).

100-cell cats don't pass a true smog test in California. I have 100-cell cats from Akrapovic. The factory 991 TurboS cats are 800-cell.

I have run the 991.1 Turbo S without cats, and no tune, and the CEL has taken over 200 miles to show up. This car would pass a smog test if they only check for ECU, rather than the actual fumes analysis.

For sound quality, nothing beats Kline, best sound. Europipe is about right. Tubi is too close to the factory Sport exhaust just a tad louder. Sharkwerks is awesome, light, but truly loud and not that refined on my taste.

I'm a big Akrapovic fan and have purchased many systems from them for my cars, but I agree, they don't produce the best sound at all.
The following 2 users liked this post by A/S:
4flynlow (03-17-2020), Zipforia (03-06-2020)
Old 03-06-2020, 06:00 PM
john45in
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I've had Sharkwerks on my 16 Turbo for over 5 months. Best bang for the decibel (it's louder but not much). Listen to #4 above.
Zipforia (03-06-2020)
Old 03-06-2020, 07:01 PM
SilveRT8
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I also have the Sharkwerks on my '17 TTS for almost 3 years now.
16 pounds lighter, no drone, sport exhaust sound, not too loud. Very happy with it.
It's basically a muffler delete cat back with 2 SS tubes. You keep the stock cats and tips.
The following 2 users liked this post by SilveRT8:
john45in (03-06-2020), Zipforia (03-06-2020)
Old 03-07-2020, 03:09 AM
Redlinerobert
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 119 Posts

Another fan of Sharkwerks.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Question