Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

GT2RSx - TPC Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2020, 11:37 PM
Dr Chill
Rennlist Member

Received 266 Likes on 167 Posts

I think if you kept the stock paint and just slapped some painters tape numbers on the side, all the other P cars would be in shock when you blew by them. Then it would be a true sleeper.
Old 02-13-2020, 12:14 PM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Received 583 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by Pdtp#16
Had to go back and see where the 5th came from. I thought it was the reference to five months. But just saw the "1 1/5" hahah meant 1 1/2.

Regarding the 2RS. it all depends. I did not buy my car new, so it had depreciated quite a bit by the time i purchased it. With what i have spent i could have definitely bought a brand new .2 3RS (still prefer my car). Looking back, the most frustrating thing, is the lack of proper help / guidance regarding parts and setups on the turbos when it comes to tracking the car. There is a lot of support for hitting the dragstrip, or making the car faster for the street. But when it comes to properly getting it setup for track very little out there. That led me to wasting a lot of money on wrong setups along the way. From wrong suspension parts, to exhaust, to tunes etc. So in hindsight, i could have saved quite a bit if i knew what i know now.

The fact that Mike has been tracking his car has helped a lot. I think between the both of us, we have pretty much tried everything that can be done to these cars. I've been talking to Mike and Tom regarding creating packages that can be scaled as you start tracking the car. This will help someone get in slowly but as you add future upgrades everything is still in sink. I've seen so many, including myself, buy a bunch of aftermarket parts and actually make the car handle or run worse.
Another thing that I think its invaluable, is the fact that Mike is willing to share data and setup changes. This has made getting the car to where it is a lot faster and cheaper than me hiring a pro and engineer to work on setups with 3 way shocks, ride heights, camber, caster etc etc etc. TPC's setup is almost plug and play.

If i was to do this in stages i would:

Chassis:
- Stage 1: DSC Box
- Stage 2: Tractive Shocks
- Stage 3: Wide track suspension
- Stage 4: Change entire system to mono-***** / solid bushings and add sway bars with toe links etc.
Brakes:
- Stage 1: Giro Discs with Ferrodo Pads
- Stage 2: PFC Brakes (If you are tracking the car seriously, this is an unbelievable upgrade) Pads last a lot longer, and changing the discs are pretty cheap. $500 per set
Interiors & Safety:
- Stage 1: I think this is a must if you are going to track the car. I would install TPC's rear bar, 5 point harness, and lightweight seats. Some like to install a half cage if you don't mind loosing the rear seat.
Engine:
- Stage 1: Exhaust and COBB Tune
- Stage 2: Water misters, Inter coolers and Plenum. (this in my opinion doesn't do much more than Stage 1 as the stock turbos are too small for the track, unless you keep a mild tune)
- Stage 3: If you are serious about tracking the car, i think larger turbos (NON-VGT's) and meth system is the way to go. This is the only way you can get close to 2RS power (taking into consideration weight difference) and be consistent on track. Mike has a new system that look a really solid and Sam has the XR system that was used in there pikes peak car.
Body:
- If you are serious about tracking and being able to keep with well driven 3RS's and 2RS's on tracks like Sebring, you will need aero mods. Best thing is to stay with OEM parts as most aftermarket replicas are really heavy. We are currently working with Orbit Racing in creating a really cool setup all on dry carbon. Essentially creating a clubsport that can still be driven on the street.

All of the above does not come cheap, but like i said if you buy the car well you can probably get everything done and still be $100k less than a 2RS. It will never retain the value like an RS does, but this is not why i bought the car. For me, I have actually enjoyed seeing what we have been able to achieve with the car. At the end of the day, they are all great cars and as long as we are happy what else can we ask for
Sounds like a fun project. Thanks so much for the detailed and passionate reply...very helpful and yes I agree, car ownership comes down to whatever blows your skirt up. I think in my case I will keep saving my pennies/crossing my fingers on portfolio growth for a GT2 RS...though I hear the 2020 TTS is 641 BHP so the P engineers must have the cooling issues worked pretty well with the bigger turbos so that is something else to consider spending the boy's inheritance on
The following users liked this post:
KONG991TT (02-13-2020)
Old 02-13-2020, 12:23 PM
Pdtp#16
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Chill
Very impressive videos. Great times. 2:11's are big boy stuff. It's amazing how much difference the increased downforce and suspension mods make, especially when watching how easily you are maneuvering the steering wheel throughout the lap except when coming out of T13. Surprised how much better the PFC's perform in relation to the PCCB's.

Maybe a 2RS after a few years of depreciation will be the best starting point rather than a TTS.

What was you best lap time with the TTS before you modded the car?
Thank you! I’ve been really impressed on how much the handling and breaking has improved. I was in a rush on my 2:12 lap and made a few mistakes. I was also running two day old scrubs that where pretty hard. It will be wild to have a pro, on new tires and cool day and see what she can do!

2RS is a much better platform for sure. Better tub, suspension geometry, lighter, etc.

I’ll probably never sale my current car due to the amount of work that has gone into it. Right now I’m debating what I want to do next year. Do I want to jump back and start racing again, then a Cup car will be in the horizon, or do I want to keep DE’ing as I’m doing. If the latter, then a 2RS or wait for the 992 RS. Will see!

Regarding previous times, I never got to run her properly at Sebring. Only ran one weekend, on trofeo r’s and was doing 2:20s. I know A/S ran a pretty well modified TTS on Hoosiers and probably 100 to 120 HP more than my current setup. I believe he was able to get into the 15’s maybe 14’s. Not sure.
Old 02-13-2020, 12:42 PM
Pdtp#16
Racer

Originally Posted by usrodeo4
Sounds like a fun project. Thanks so much for the detailed and passionate reply...very helpful and yes I agree, car ownership comes down to whatever blows your skirt up. I think in my case I will keep saving my pennies/crossing my fingers on portfolio growth for a GT2 RS...though I hear the 2020 TTS is 641 BHP so the P engineers must have the cooling issues worked pretty well with the bigger turbos so that is something else to consider spending the boy's inheritance on
the 2RS is a very impressive car. Extremely well built and not overly produced. It’s amazing how fast they eat the pavement. I believe Randy was getting into the 160’s mph in the back straight and that was his first time at Sebring. Would be an absolute great purchase.

it will be interesting to see what the new 992’s come out with. Porsche engineers are brilliant in maximizing efficiencies through out. I bet it includes, some modifications to the engine, cooling and turbos all working in perfect harmony. Unfortunately when we tune the engines we take the little turbo and increase its speed and boost past its efficiency levels and that harmony it’s pushed to its limits.

BTW even the 2RS suffers from heat soak (not nearly as bad as a modified TTS). This is why they went through such large changes to the cooling in the clubsport even though the power remained the same. This is where the 3RS shines so well. You can go out there lap after lap and as long as the tires keep up, she keeps running strong.

Old 02-13-2020, 01:32 PM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

the 2RS is a very impressive car. Extremely well built and not overly produced. It’s amazing how fast they eat the pavement. I believe Randy was getting into the 160’s mph in the back straight and that was his first time at Sebring. Would be an absolute great purchase.

it will be interesting to see what the new 992’s come out with. Porsche engineers are brilliant in maximizing efficiencies through out. I bet it includes, some modifications to the engine, cooling and turbos all working in perfect harmony. Unfortunately when we tune the engines we take the little turbo and increase its speed and boost past its efficiency levels and that harmony it’s pushed to its limits.

BTW even the 2RS suffers from heat soak (not nearly as bad as a modified TTS). This is why they went through such large changes to the cooling in the clubsport even though the power remained the same. This is where the 3RS shines so well. You can go out there lap after lap and as long as the tires keep up, she keeps running strong.
Thanks again for your input...re: the GT2 RS heating I read just the other day that the standard GT2 RS is only good for two full go laps at the ring, whereas the MR version that set the ring record can do 5 laps...which is still pretty limited, so yeah I didn't realize even the mighty GT2 RS had those issues. In my usage she would just be a fun street car with the occasional track outing. I held an AMA Experts license in 350cc Road Race when I was a kid and ran a semi sponsored AMA season and got just good enough to have such an expensive operation my Dad told me enough, go to Engineering College already, haha, so my racing days were already chased at the highest level, now I just enjoy playing on the streets these days...my real only claim to fame was getting passed by a certain #1 plated TZ-750 at Daytona in '75 ridden by you know who.
Old 02-13-2020, 06:16 PM
Pdtp#16
Racer

Thanks again for your input...re: the GT2 RS heating I read just the other day that the standard GT2 RS is only good for two full go laps at the ring, whereas the MR version that set the ring record can do 5 laps...which is still pretty limited, so yeah I didn't realize even the mighty GT2 RS had those issues. In my usage she would just be a fun street car with the occasional track outing. I held an AMA Experts license in 350cc Road Race when I was a kid and ran a semi sponsored AMA season and got just good enough to have such an expensive operation my Dad told me enough, go to Engineering College already, haha, so my racing days were already chased at the highest level, now I just enjoy playing on the streets these days...my real only claim to fame was getting passed by a certain #1 plated TZ-750 at Daytona in '75 ridden by you know who.
wow that’s really cool. Coincidentally my uncle was team mates with Johnny Cecotto early in his career with Yamaha. I can’t even imaging running those bikes at Daytona.
Old 02-15-2020, 05:33 PM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

wow that’s really cool. Coincidentally my uncle was team mates with Johnny Cecotto early in his career with Yamaha. I can’t even imaging running those bikes at Daytona.
I have an old Johnny Cecotto story for you that I heard directly from Kel Carruther's lips. When the TZ-750 (actually a 700 until '75) was introduced Yamaha shipped a few over to the states for their four factory riders to test; Johhny, Gene Romero, Ago and Kenny. Kel was managing the team and they tested them in Cali at I track I can't remember the name (actually it may have been the old Riverside track). Anyway Kel said the big TZ was a real handful and would wobble through the turns and that two of the riders (Johnny and Gene) basically could not ride the TZ-750 at all while Ago did pretty good but Kenny beat his lap time by 5 seconds...KR was a bad man.
Old 02-15-2020, 07:17 PM
Pdtp#16
Racer

I have an old Johnny Cecotto story for you that I heard directly from Kel Carruther's lips. When the TZ-750 (actually a 700 until '75) was introduced Yamaha shipped a few over to the states for their four factory riders to test; Johhny, Gene Romero, Ago and Kenny. Kel was managing the team and they tested them in Cali at I track I can't remember the name (actually it may have been the old Riverside track). Anyway Kel said the big TZ was a real handful and would wobble through the turns and that two of the riders (Johnny and Gene) basically could not ride the TZ-750 at all while Ago did pretty good but Kenny beat his lap time by 5 seconds...KR was a bad man.
KR was a beast. I think anyone in Motorsports around those times had to be completely bunkers.
Old 02-19-2023, 01:28 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,481 Likes on 794 Posts

I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to bump and see if you still were tracking the car?
Old 02-21-2023, 05:14 PM
Pdtp#16
Racer

Hey bud, car has been in a crazy build now for two years hopefully soon completed. Project is at Orbit Racing. I will not be tracking the car but it will be a beast for sure. I will likely sell the car after its completion as i'm now fully committed to racing with SRO and IMSA. Car will be completed as a streetable GT3R car all build with proper motorsport parts etc. On the engine side we went with Sam's big non-VGT turbos so she will be a beast as well.

Hope all is well
The following users liked this post:
KONG991TT (02-21-2023)
Old 02-21-2023, 07:34 PM
KONG991TT
Rennlist Member

Received 325 Likes on 170 Posts

It's been great following you and I'm grateful for the knowledge sharing on the platform. Whoever is lucky enough to own the car will have a BEAST for sure.
I'll be following and cheering from the sidelines big brother!
Old 02-21-2023, 08:32 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 961 Likes on 586 Posts

Been a while bud, hope all is well. Update some pics of the beast when you can?

Proud TOP Porsche Distributor For:

Kline-Innovation - ams Performance - TiALSPORT/XONA - #1 COBB PRO TUNER - CSF - IPD Plenums - DO88 - dodsonmotorsport

310-600-1850 - sam@bydesignauto.com

Quick Reply: GT2RSx - TPC Build