Sponsored by: Road Spy

Couple of questions from a new Turbo buyer

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2019, 12:23 PM
ttlwh
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Couple of questions from a new Turbo buyer

Been on this forum for awhile now (learned a lot!) and getting closer to pulling the trigger on a 991 Turbo (or S) Cab. For reference, I am coming from a 2016 C4S Cab.

One car I am looking at has an Akrapovic slip on exhaust. If anyone actually has one on their car, I would like to know if you get any drone at freeway speeds, like 65-75. From listening to the sound clips online (they have stock and the Akrapovic), the Akrapovic sounds a little deeper, but not a lot of difference I could detect.

Secondly, another car I am looking at is in Lava Orange. My simple questoin is for anyone who may own one: are you still happy with your choice, or is it making you regret your decisoin to buy it? I realize that color selection is a very personal choice, and with Lava Orange, people seem to really like it, or not. Just curious to hear from anyone who may have some firsthand experience.

Thanks, and I look forward to posting pictures of whatever I wind up buying!
The following users liked this post:
Yzfrr11 (01-16-2020)
Old 12-24-2019, 06:02 PM
0luke1
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 152 Posts

My used 07tt came with a different brand aftermarket exhaust. It was fun for about one month. Ended up putting a stock unit on it. Not a big deal or expense to swap - there are used stock exhaust systems for sale. I have the stock exhaust on my 17 tt and have zero desire to change a thing.

Lava Orange is awesome. Once I went turbo, it was impossible to go back.
Old 12-24-2019, 08:14 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 708 Likes on 516 Posts

Keeping the car stock is not a bad thing. It is excellent right out of the box....you will be used to the all wheel feel from your C4S and that is a good thing. My TTS is the best of the 4 911s I have owned....great driveability due to torque at the low end starting at 2250 rpm....that will be the biggest change in not needing to keep the rpms up to go anywhere smoothly at low speed.

Last edited by abiazis; 12-30-2019 at 12:29 PM.
Old 12-25-2019, 03:45 PM
desidon
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hard to find colors like lava orange etc in the Used car market with the exact options on it.
I was looking for a striking color and the search was hard because even when I found the color it wouldn't have the options I wanted(Aero kit, front axle lift). Lots of cars available in black, white etc with more generic builds.

Got lucky with this guards red one and jumped on it. Lava orange will definitely be striking.

The following users liked this post:
sullic (01-15-2020)
Old 12-30-2019, 03:59 AM
Paliknight
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by desidon
Hard to find colors like lava orange etc in the Used car market with the exact options on it.
I was looking for a striking color and the search was hard because even when I found the color it wouldn't have the options I wanted(Aero kit, front axle lift). Lots of cars available in black, white etc with more generic builds.

Got lucky with this guards red one and jumped on it. Lava orange will definitely be striking.

Old 12-30-2019, 09:51 AM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 171 Posts

With a Cab, exhaust is critical. I have not heard anything bad about that exhaust, but I have a stock muffler if you need to swap back to OEM later.
Old 12-31-2019, 03:45 AM
TurboS_GG
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

I put an Akropovic exhaust on my ‘19 TTS the first week after I bought it. No drone whatsoever. The sound is mellow, unless you hammer the go pedal.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:59 PM
ttlwh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by abiazis
Keeping the car stock is not a bad thing. It is excellent right out of the box....you will be used to the all wheel feel from your C4S and that is a good thing. My TTS is the best of the 4 911s I have owned....great driveability due to torque at the low end starting at 2250 rpm....that will be the biggest change in not needing to keep the rpms up to go anywhere smoothly at low speed.
I would keep the car stock but the car I am interested in already has the Akrapovic exhaust on it.
Thanks for the input.
Old 01-13-2020, 01:02 PM
ttlwh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by abiazis
Beautiful car. Leaning away from the Lava Orange I was looking at as it is not a CPO vehicle while the car I am interested in is.
Thanks.
Old 01-13-2020, 01:02 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 925 Likes on 565 Posts

Good luck tt they are amazing cars. As for the exhaust it's one of the best available and as far as your concerns you won't be let down by it. Good luck

Proud TOP Porsche Distributor For:

Kline-Innovation - ams Performance - TiALSPORT/XONA - #1 COBB PRO TUNER - CSF - IPD Plenums - DO88 - dodsonmotorsport

310-600-1850 - sam@bydesignauto.com
Old 01-13-2020, 01:04 PM
ttlwh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Randyc151
With a Cab, exhaust is critical. I have not heard anything bad about that exhaust, but I have a stock muffler if you need to swap back to OEM later.
Thank you very much for the offer. As it turns out, the car with the Akrapovic exhaust on it comes with the full factory exhaust also.
Old 01-13-2020, 01:06 PM
ttlwh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
Good luck tt they are amazing cars. As for the exhaust it's one of the best available and as far as your concerns you won't be let down by it. Good luck
Appreciate the feedback Sam. I have heard nothing but good things about the Akrapovic exhaust, both from the company and from other end users who have it on their car. They all say no drone whatsoever, which is my biggest concern.
Old 01-13-2020, 01:08 PM
ttlwh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TurboS_GG
I put an Akropovic exhaust on my ‘19 TTS the first week after I bought it. No drone whatsoever. The sound is mellow, unless you hammer the go pedal.
Awesome Turbo S. I appreciate the feedback!
Old 01-13-2020, 01:12 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 2,953 Posts

My Mother, when I was a wee lad, had a Chevy Vega that was Lava Orange with fake wood paneling... it was vile, and I was embarrassed to be dropped off at school in it.

Akrapovic slip on should sound very nice in a convertible.
Old 01-13-2020, 01:18 PM
ttlwh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
My Mother, when I was a wee lad, had a Chevy Vega that was Lava Orange with fake wood paneling... it was vile, and I was embarrassed to be dropped off at school in it.

Akrapovic slip on should sound very nice in a convertible.
Hopefully that did not scar you for life and you still like Lava Orange!
Waiting for a call back from the Sales Manager to see if we get close enough on price to make it work. I agree - the exhaust should be awesome with the top down.

Quick Reply: Couple of questions from a new Turbo buyer