Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

5000 rpm limit and drop in power... HELP?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2019, 09:45 AM
jsbihn
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Default 5000 rpm limit and drop in power... HELP?!?!

Hey all,
So today I experiences something strange.
The outside temp is about 40 degrees.
I start the car and let it warm up for a few minutes.
Then I drive it about normal for a few minutes til I eventually get to the interstate....
i am ready to merge on and the light turns green and I hit it.
It takes off and I end up getting up to triple digits easily.... Then suddenly the car hit 5000 rpms and it has no more power.
No codes. No CELs

​​​​​​It drives normal until you smash the throttle... Then it drops down a gear or 3 and revs to 5000 and no power

I have on the car upgraded turbos, ipd plenum and y-pipe, upgraded intercooler, fabspeed exhaust, ByDesign stage 4 tune, Bilstein coils, and 20/21 HRE setup

Any help would be appreciate
Old 11-21-2019, 02:16 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,879 Likes on 2,953 Posts

If I recall correctly, you had some issues with 'noises' - have they been resolved?
Old 11-21-2019, 02:31 PM
jsbihn
Rennlist Member

It is possible, as it really doesn't seem to all be there like it was before.... I haven't really put much mileage on it since it went to the dealership and then the upgraded tune
But the dealership didn't do anything, so I believe the "fix" was more in the tune.

But this car is being super finicky it seems

Any ideas?
Old 11-21-2019, 02:41 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I would speak with Sam, if you are using his tune - he'll probably get you to pull some data. Seems weird that it is flatlining like that, makes me think it is trying to protect itself, but you say there are no codes.

Hard to diagnose, indeed.
Old 11-21-2019, 03:10 PM
MotoJB
Three Wheelin'

Received 593 Likes on 333 Posts

Welcome to modifying. I had to chase issues on the 996tt for quite a while, after the upgrades as well.

After adding so many parts, it was hard to diagnose where all of the issues were coming from.

What year is your car btw? A 2014 by chance?
Old 11-21-2019, 03:23 PM
jsbihn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MotoJB
Welcome to modifying. I had to chase issues on the 996tt for quite a while, after the upgrades as well.

After adding so many parts, it was hard to diagnose where all of the issues were coming from.

What year is your car btw? A 2014 by chance?
yeah luckily enough I have been working with Sensei Sam with this car. He has been Kung Fu kicking the crap out of it
little by little he is making my car great from 2000 miles away

Why do you ask?
Old 11-21-2019, 03:26 PM
MotoJB
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jsbihn
yeah luckily enough I have been working with Sensei Sam with this car. He has been Kung Fu kicking the crap out of it
little by little he is making my car great from 2000 miles away

Why do you ask?
Right on. I worked with Sam on my 996tt. No better guy to do business with.

I talked with Sam about tuning the 991 and he said something to the effect that the 2014's can be a bit more problematic. I didn't ask him to elaborate but will.

Old 11-21-2019, 03:28 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 927 Likes on 566 Posts

Just got to my desk. I will go over the logs and call you bud.

Proud TOP Porsche Distributor For:

Kline-Innovation - ams Performance - TiALSPORT/XONA - #1 COBB PRO TUNER - CSF - IPD Plenums - DO88 - dodsonmotorsport

310-600-1850 - sam@bydesignauto.com
Old 11-21-2019, 03:53 PM
jsbihn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
Just got to my desk. I will go over the logs and call you bud.
Tell me this guy ain't Da MAN!!!!
Old 11-22-2019, 01:55 PM
onfireTTS
Drifting

Received 1,094 Likes on 844 Posts

What was the issue ?
Old 11-22-2019, 04:28 PM
arkadyzv
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 79 Posts

Boost leak/torn coupler or tune as mentioned in all the other threads by myself and others. Or are you just posting new threads asking for help as a lead in to leave more vendor reviews while continuing to have a broken car.
Old 11-22-2019, 04:33 PM
MotoJB
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by arkadyzv
Boost leak/torn coupler or tune as mentioned in all the other threads by myself and others. Or are you just posting new threads asking for help as a lead in to leave more vendor reviews while continuing to have a broken car.
Wow
Old 11-22-2019, 04:38 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Old 11-22-2019, 05:12 PM
jsbihn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by arkadyzv
I am sorry if somehow I have pissed in your Cheerios... I didnt mean to.
Not sure why it seems you might have an issue with the aforementioned.....
I am just happy that my car is getting fixed. Or at least we are working it down through its problems....
I am happy that one person is really helping me (despite the CPO, the dealership, the company, and a specific members of this forum)

Sure maybe I shouldnt post every little problem my car has, but everything I am posting is a new problem or maybe just a new symptom.... of an even bigger problem
It seems like this whole thing is coming in layers and I have never EVER had a basic bolt on car been so finicky.
The " forbidden nameless" has been helping me out quite a bit (literally every day as if I am their only client) and little by little things are working out

Anyways, yes this is a new symptom. The stutter and all that was kind of occurring before is now pretty much gone .... Thanks to a certain un-named someone that I guess I always thank since he deserves it, but now this new symptom or issue has come up

anyways, I hope I dont offend you with my posts, as I am just looking for assistance.... or advanced knowledge as it is easily seen I am new to this car, this setup and everything really about the workings of these.
I thank you too for any info you can give so that way I am armed when I go into the dealership.... since currently they arent helping since there are literally NO CODES or CELs when all this is happening, and of course the dealership wont even investigate or do anything without a damn code. Which is very aggravating!!
Old 11-22-2019, 06:31 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 927 Likes on 566 Posts

You can always count on a certain negative comment from a certain somebody but that’s OK. I actually embrace it now because after a few exchanges it all shows clear as day what’s going on. You are new to the car and new to the forum that’s what we are all here for is to share and take care of each other! Couplers on these cars don’t tear. There’s a WD 44 and a WD 66 Campaign from Porsche. These issues have generally been taken care of years ago on most cars via factory recalls. The throttle couplers do dislodge or come off off causing issues. I think we had a couple things going on with your car buddy which we are learning. Now we have a proper tune she runs nice and smooth In that department. In fact much stronger which is why we are seeing this load issue come up. Unfortunately I think I know this car and we may have something really challenging on our hands with the dealership but we are up to the task. I’m going to do some research and find out if I’m right. There was another calibration from another company on your car before you got it as well. When it starts to make more power there’s something going on and I’ve had the whole team looking at it. There’s an imbalance between banks that comes up under specific load erratically and it’s abnormal. We are going to help you through this buddy. We can probably hold its hand and ease if off but I want to get to the bottom of it and get that CPO to take responsibility. It’s funny that after hundreds and hundreds of cars I’ve seen this twice and I think it’s the same car. Hang in there! We are here for you.

Quick Reply: 5000 rpm limit and drop in power... HELP?!?!