Sponsored by: Road Spy

991.2 Turbo S - coolant issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 08:20 AM
Duncan Wood
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 991.2 Turbo S - coolant issue

Hi, I have a 2017 Turbo S 991.2. It’s only got 8,000kms on clock at moment and was serviced by Porsche in April. I brought it also in April as the second owner from a garage who specialize in high value cars. I’ve put 4,000kms on it since then. It’s got warranty with Porsche till 2020. I live in Dubai and it’s a GCC spec car albeit from Jordan originally.

yesterday the coolant warning light light came on, red not yellow. The engine started to overheat so I stopped the car and let it cool down. I then started it and it had gone off so I drove the short distance back home and the light had gone off completely the engine didn’t overheat it stayed normal. I decided to let it sit overnight and check in morning.

I checked the coolant level after it was cool and it was at the minimum. Indicating a loss. This morning I switched on the car and yellow warning came up quickly shifting to red and the engine started to overheat. I switched off called Porsche they came and collected it. The coolant looked completely gone.

To my sight there was no residue under the car no puddles and I’ve not seen anything previously, no liquid. I couldn’t see white smoke out of the exhaust and there has been no engine issues, sounds or lack of power.

Obviously porsche will review but they can’t do this till Saturday as it’s a holiday here. I’m stressing.

I’ve not drove it when there’s been any over heating and it’s a very recent thing.

Can anyone venture any ideas or experienced sudden coolant loss? If it is a gasket issue what’s worst case I’m looking at and has anyone had any issues claiming under the warranty?

thanks.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:39 AM
Nanook
Burning Brakes

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

I'd guess a failed head gasket or warped head...it's burning the coolant...it may have been overheated at some time of the gasket just failed
Old 06-06-2019, 08:50 AM
Duncan Wood
6th Gear

I’m assuming this isn’t usual on a 2 year old car with 8,000km on it? Any issues with Porsche covering it do you think?

Any idea what may have caused it? It’s not driven hard and not been tracked either.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:56 AM
Nanook
Burning Brakes

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Only speculation on my part...as I say it may have been overheated..run low on coolant,,,blocked coolant or failed water pump..then damage occurs then coolant gets drawn into combustion..as I say just a guess on my part...unless a obvious case of abuse or neglect warranty certainly should cover it..
Old 06-06-2019, 09:26 AM
Duncan Wood
6th Gear

I hope so.... thanks for the advice.
Old 06-06-2019, 10:03 AM
Jim M.
Rennlist Member

Received 797 Likes on 422 Posts

I had the coolant reservoir fail on my 2015 TTS. It was dripping very slowly and the engine heat was vaporizing it so I had no visible signs on the garage floor. The dealership found it for me.
Old 06-06-2019, 10:25 AM
Duncan Wood
6th Gear

Heat here is touching 50 degrees C so it’s not beyond realms it was leaking externally and just vaporizing.
Old 06-07-2019, 04:16 AM
0luke1
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 152 Posts

Please let us know what happened. I’m hoping it was just a reservoir leak, but I’ve never been disappointed with the Porsche warranty.
Old 06-08-2019, 07:13 AM
Jani
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I had my coolant reservoir replaced ,car just 5000 km ,warranty action-showing low coolant level..991.2 turbo S 2017..
Sincerely: Jani
Old 06-08-2019, 09:50 AM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 171 Posts

The 991.2 is nearly bullet proof, and this is certainly a rare issue. I'm confident Porsche will cover it. Nothing to worry about at all.
Old 06-08-2019, 11:20 AM
Duncan Wood
6th Gear

Thanks guys, the car is in and I’m keeping everything crossed for positive news.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:10 AM
Duncan Wood
6th Gear

Quick update Porsche were amazing sorted the tow and hire car and did a load of tests on my car to find out what problem was. Turns out there wasn’t a leak they could find, no damage to engine either. Ran as many tests as they could. Refilled it drove it extensively still couldn’t find anything. Mystery as to why coolant suddenly went low the only answer they could suggest is it wasn’t checked at last service, previous owner didn’t use the car much and the heat in dubai caused it to evaporate off maybe through the cap. Just ran low. They’ve topped it up and said monitor it but couldn’t find any issues. Any further problems I’ll repost but hopefully Lady Luck was shining on me.
Old 06-21-2019, 02:06 PM
ramy tolba
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Duncan Wood
Quick update Porsche were amazing sorted the tow and hire car and did a load of tests on my car to find out what problem was. Turns out there wasn’t a leak they could find, no damage to engine either. Ran as many tests as they could. Refilled it drove it extensively still couldn’t find anything. Mystery as to why coolant suddenly went low the only answer they could suggest is it wasn’t checked at last service, previous owner didn’t use the car much and the heat in dubai caused it to evaporate off maybe through the cap. Just ran low. They’ve topped it up and said monitor it but couldn’t find any issues. Any further problems I’ll repost but hopefully Lady Luck was shining on me.
Hey fellow Dubian!

Glad to see The dealership being good. I am guessing Al Nabooda? I just got my Turbo S about 6 months ago and she is in Hibernation until sept end 😂

Quick Reply: 991.2 Turbo S - coolant issue