Sponsored by: Road Spy

Turbo S wheels in black finish?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 07:42 AM
Paliknight
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Turbo S wheels in black finish?

I checked multiple times when trying to customize a TTS CAB on the Porsche USA website, but it wouldn’t let me choose the stock TTS wheels in black finish. I see it as an option on the GTS though.

What at am I missing?

by the way, my car arrives in July. Do you guys recommend any maintenance packages from Porsche at time of purchase?

thank you in advance
Old 05-16-2019, 08:35 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 786 Likes on 571 Posts

Have your dealer request it, but it will cost
Old 05-16-2019, 09:15 AM
Paliknight
Racer

Originally Posted by abiazis
Have your dealer request it, but it will cost
I wish but It’s probably too late now since the car was built and loaded onto a vessel last week.

I was was just surprised since i believe I saw it as a selectable option when customizing a GTS but not when customizing a TTS. The logic didn’t make sense to me.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:20 PM
CSF Cooling
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 103 Likes on 76 Posts

If you really want black wheels - when the car gets to the dealer, have them dismount the wheels and send it to a powder-coater (have them leave the car on a lift for a few days). There are about 50 shades of black (matte, gloss, candy, etc) - you can prob get them done in about a week and pick the perfect black to suite your taste. Brand new wheels can be turned around in ~2-3 days from a good powder-coating company.

I have a really good one in So-Cal (orange county) - does a lot of product for me + many wheels. I can connect if you're local.

You're getting a brand new car, this would be the time to ask. they'll bend over backwards now to make sure your experience goes well. if they do charge, maybe they'll cut you a deal, or maybe even help.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:15 PM
Paliknight
Racer

Originally Posted by CSF Cooling
If you really want black wheels - when the car gets to the dealer, have them dismount the wheels and send it to a powder-coater (have them leave the car on a lift for a few days). There are about 50 shades of black (matte, gloss, candy, etc) - you can prob get them done in about a week and pick the perfect black to suite your taste. Brand new wheels can be turned around in ~2-3 days from a good powder-coating company.

I have a really good one in So-Cal (orange county) - does a lot of product for me + many wheels. I can connect if you're local.

You're getting a brand new car, this would be the time to ask. they'll bend over backwards now to make sure your experience goes well. if they do charge, maybe they'll cut you a deal, or maybe even help.
Thank you very much that’s a great idea. I’ll get in touch with my SA. I wish but I’m located in Austin and dealer is in San Antonio.

The car car is white metallic exterior with the Bordeaux interior and black aero kit.

Which shade of black would you recommend to compliment this combo?
Old 05-16-2019, 03:45 PM
onfireTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,130 Likes on 869 Posts

Be sure the Powder Coater is experienced doing wheels at low temperatures. Regular PC will harm the metallurgy in an aluminum wheel at normal oven temps.
Old 05-17-2019, 02:06 AM
neil.schneider
Drifting

Received 442 Likes on 287 Posts

I have read this in other places on this site. When I asked the person that runs the powder coat place near my home he said he has heard the same thing but has NEVER had an issue nor heard of anyone having an issue.

https://www.prismaticpowders.com/lea...luminum-wheels
Old 05-17-2019, 09:56 AM
onfireTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,130 Likes on 869 Posts

Originally Posted by neil.schneider
I have read this in other places on this site. When I asked the person that runs the powder coat place near my home he said he has heard the same thing but has NEVER had an issue nor heard of anyone having an issue.

https://www.prismaticpowders.com/lea...luminum-wheels
Funny that they gloss over a “few failures” and “voided warranty”. Also funny that they do not differentiate different alloy types. Funny that they gloss over oven temps like it is a standard. Should be. But is not for batch coaters. My company uses four different PC coaters for various parts. I would only trust one of them to PC aluminum wheels. He understands metallurgy and low flash powder temp vs high flash temp. He will not batch push a set of wheels through at Plus 500F to save time.......and some operators/ovens will go over 500F. Costs more, but you get low flash temp powder, a great finish and a wheel that has not been altered.

Good luck.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:17 AM
marsh1
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 10 Posts

Semi Gloss with Ceramic coat on top. Porsche Austin arranged the powder coating

Old 05-17-2019, 12:46 PM
Paliknight
Racer

Originally Posted by marsh1
Semi Gloss with Ceramic coat on top. Porsche Austin arranged the powder coating

Those look great! Would you mind sharing the details around it? You can shoot me a PM if you prefer. I.e. location, price, process, duration, etc
Old 05-17-2019, 01:59 PM
neil.schneider
Drifting

Received 442 Likes on 287 Posts

Boy that does pop! Nicely done!
Old 05-17-2019, 02:57 PM
marsh1
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Paliknight
Those look great! Would you mind sharing the details around it? You can shoot me a PM if you prefer. I.e. location, price, process, duration, etc
Can't tell you much except I bought it from Porsche Austin and had it done as part of the deal.
Old 05-17-2019, 03:46 PM
Paliknight
Racer

Originally Posted by marsh1
Can't tell you much except I bought it from Porsche Austin and had it done as part of the deal.
Oh no worries. I thought you meant you just paid the dealer a visit to get that done. I’ll get in touch with my dealer then and see if I can “finagle” powder coating into the deal.

Quick Reply: Turbo S wheels in black finish?